New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert

These knucklehead USF fans have me wondering if this means another season where short slant passes are scarce in the SU offense.

Last night I did some research on twitter and some media articles. While I love both hires, I think Gilbert is a more wait and see hire, although I’m of the mindset that since Dino worked with him before and now wants to hand him the offense, he’ll be fine.

While the USF fans were far more critical than anyone else, everyplace he’s been has had detractors. Which really isn’t uncommon I guess. But some Texas fans were frustrated with him and while they had a good record, they blamed him for the loses due to questionable calls and going into a shell at important moments. There were a couple comments from Tulsa I believe that said he backstabbed Montgomery. Didn’t understand that and didn’t dig deeper. Some McNeese fans weren’t happy either but mostly that he left after one season although some questioned his hire from the beginning. If my memory is tight, he’s had something like 9 jobs in 10 years which some look at as a red flag.

Nobody I saw questioned his QB coaching or even development of the offense. It was all in game play calling.

I guess we’ll see. But it wouldn’t surprise me if he is the Co-OC/QB coach with Lynch staying as the CO-OC.

Go ahead and shoot me down but I like this hire as we are no longer built for air raid.

We have a gunner QB and three outstanding running backs. Yes outstanding.

I look forward to returning an experienced OL with Adams, Howard and Jordan leaving teams huffing

Selfishly, I want Howard to be RB1 and Jordan 2.

Last night I did some research on twitter and some media articles. While I love both hires, I think Gilbert is a more wait and see hire, although I’m of the mindset that since Dino worked with him before and now wants to hand him the offense, he’ll be fine.

While the USF fans were far more critical than anyone else, everyplace he’s been has had detractors. Which really isn’t uncommon I guess. But some Texas fans were frustrated with him and while they had a good record, they blamed him for the loses due to questionable calls and going into a shell at important moments. There were a couple comments from Tulsa I believe that said he backstabbed Montgomery. Didn’t understand that and didn’t dig deeper. Some McNeese fans weren’t happy either but mostly that he left after one season although some questioned his hire from the beginning. If my memory is tight, he’s had something like 9 jobs in 10 years which some look at as a red flag.

Nobody I saw questioned his QB coaching or even development of the offense. It was all in game play calling.

I guess we’ll see. But it wouldn’t surprise me if he is the Co-OC/QB coach with Lynch staying as the CO-OC.
Yes. That's all the commentary I was reading also.

In 2018 they broke in a new QB, Blake Barnett, who was statistically better than Flowers (as a passer) in 2018 and threw for 2700.....He’s been sort of a hired gun in his last two stops and not been part of building the roster. Hopefully here he has more ready made pieces here.

I've snipped the bits of your post I want to highlight. My main thing is that I hope he can attract and develop good QBs. He has a better track record than the guy currently holding the job. And I'm hoping he can stick around for a while to give us some continuity on offense. The hired gun rep is not encouraging. The positive here is that Gilbert and Babers have history. Babers gave him his first real college job and they've had success together. Give us 3 years minimum and a restocked QB position and I consider it a win-win.

Living in Austin I have few thoughts on Gilbert:
- He seems very much like a coaching mercenary. Maybe his past experienced have shaped him and hopefully because his past relationship w Babers he won’t bail at the next better offer. However I don’t see a program builder here
- He is from Texas and was a Texas high school coach... no matter how good of a recruiter he is, good luck getting Texas kids to Syracuse as we have seen
- From a coaching stand point he turned a Texas offense led by a true freshman in Shane Buechele into an offensive machine in one off season with a ton of pressure on him. And Texas did not have a ton of offensive talent his one year in Austin.
- From what I remember that one year the UT offense was good between the 20s and not great in the red zone. There would be big chunks of time where the O would have three or four sub-one minute three and outs which would put the D in a terrible position.
- Stop me if you have heard this before but... There were a lot of complaints about a total lack of creativity in play calling and plays.
- The offense was one of the worst in the big 12 on 3rd down conversions
- I went to the West Virginia game that year and there were a lot of head scratching play calls... tried to be too cute in my opinion
- they had a really good run game which is awesome because Texas struggled with that before he got there

Overall take... while I like the aggressive nature of the hire I hope that Babers and Gilbert are willing to be flexible and not just be wedded to the same old system. I’m not sure they hurry up air raid is really that unique anymore and I’m not sure how well it works against the defenses in the ACC because the better defenses in the big 12 handled it.
He definitely seems to jump around a bit. Wonder if Dino was upset when he left him for Montgomery at Tulsa. Do think he'll be an upgrade over Lynch, who seemed to have little creativity.

Generally speaking fans have no clue when it comes to play calling. Game plans are scripted based on film study and game development. If plays work the play call is great otherwise it's dumb. I do the same thing as I yell at the TV.

Dino knows the guy. He brought him with him to Bowling Green from Eastern Illinois. That's enough for me.

He can walk right in and we won't lose a year learning a new system.

Great hire.

Interesting. I get a very “Lane Kiffin-type” vibe from this guy based on history and perceptions. No one questions Kiffin’s coaching chops, its the personality and issues of loyalty that pisses people off.
Not saying Gilbert’s the same way, but that 9 jobs in 10 years thingy smacks of being a little too mercenary- and makes me doubt if he can “co-anything” w/ Lynch next year, so I’m expecting another shoe to drop there.
Good thing is that w/ Dino being his mentor, it tells me that he’ll probably stick around, and will likely bolt only if very successful and a better offer comes along. IOW- Win/win.

I've snipped the bits of your post I want to highlight. My main thing is that I hope he can attract and develop good QBs. He has a better track record than the guy currently holding the job. And I'm hoping he can stick around for a while to give us some continuity on offense. The hired gun rep is not encouraging. The positive here is that Gilbert and Babers have history. Babers gave him his first real college job and they've had success together. Give us 3 years minimum and a restocked QB position and I consider it a win-win.
Posted mine before reading this: almost verbatim- my thoughts exactly.

Generally speaking fans have no clue when it comes to play calling. Game plans are scripted based on film study and game development. If plays work the play call is great otherwise it's dumb. I do the same thing as I yell at the TV.

Dino knows the guy. He brought him with him to Bowling Green from Eastern Illinois. That's enough for me.

He can walk right in and we won't lose a year learning a new system.

Great hire.
I do think it's good bringing somebody in from the cult, but beyond that I like a lot that he's had to be the OC at good programs and got pretty good results. So not only does he have knowledge of the cult, but he's seen and had to deal with other things too. That experience is a huge plus to me.

Hello son - I coached Jimmy Garoppolo up into the NFL from a MAC school. What's that? Yes - you can sign right here.

it sounds like Mike Mattox has been his right hand man for several years and several stops now.
Wonder if that might complicate a plan to make Lynch the co-OC.

EDIT: I know Mattox is/has been the OL coach but when you’ve been working closely with one guy for so long, you’d think that maybe Its difficult to pull Lynch into this process.
Just speculatin’

Last edited:
As others have said, his familiarity with Dino and vice versa makes this a little less risky and potentially great hire.

I do think the system got “figured out” a little and needs to evolve. Hopefully, Sterlin/Dino can build on what’s there and put TD into a great position from day one of spring ball

it sounds like Mike Mattox has been his right hand man for several years and several stops now.
Wonder if that might complicate a plan to make Lynch the co-OC.
Mattox just signed a contract with UTSA in December.

These knucklehead USF fans have me wondering if this means another season where short slant passes are scarce in the SU offense.
Yes... based on the one year I saw in Texas get ready for a very horizontal offense with shots down the field to hitch passes where the receiver is sitting in the zone. Do not expect to see screen passes or using the middle of the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom