New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert

Living in Austin I have few thoughts on Gilbert:
- He seems very much like a coaching mercenary. Maybe his past experienced have shaped him and hopefully because his past relationship w Babers he won’t bail at the next better offer. However I don’t see a program builder here
- He is from Texas and was a Texas high school coach... no matter how good of a recruiter he is, good luck getting Texas kids to Syracuse as we have seen
- From a coaching stand point he turned a Texas offense led by a true freshman in Shane Buechele into an offensive machine in one off season with a ton of pressure on him. And Texas did not have a ton of offensive talent his one year in Austin.
- From what I remember that one year the UT offense was good between the 20s and not great in the red zone. There would be big chunks of time where the O would have three or four sub-one minute three and outs which would put the D in a terrible position.
- Stop me if you have heard this before but... There were a lot of complaints about a total lack of creativity in play calling and plays.
- The offense was one of the worst in the big 12 on 3rd down conversions
- I went to the West Virginia game that year and there were a lot of head scratching play calls... tried to be too cute in my opinion
- they had a really good run game which is awesome because Texas struggled with that before he got there

Overall take... while I like the aggressive nature of the hire I hope that Babers and Gilbert are willing to be flexible and not just be wedded to the same old system. I’m not sure they hurry up air raid is really that unique anymore and I’m not sure how well it works against the defenses in the ACC because the better defenses in the big 12 handled it.
Agreed, except I'm not sure you can place this system in the "air raid" category.
Dino has stated on many occasions that successfully running the ball and stopping the run are the two main ingredients for winning.

Edit: I guess I should have read through the thread before posting this ;-)

Will Sterlin be known as Silent G or perhaps OC No G?

Coach Gilbert, welcome to the Syracuse football family!

GoOrangefootballTINNI0QQNhAM.gif

Living in Austin I have few thoughts on Gilbert:
- He seems very much like a coaching mercenary. Maybe his past experienced have shaped him and hopefully because his past relationship w Babers he won’t bail at the next better offer. However I don’t see a program builder here
- He is from Texas and was a Texas high school coach... no matter how good of a recruiter he is, good luck getting Texas kids to Syracuse as we have seen
- From a coaching stand point he turned a Texas offense led by a true freshman in Shane Buechele into an offensive machine in one off season with a ton of pressure on him. And Texas did not have a ton of offensive talent his one year in Austin.
- From what I remember that one year the UT offense was good between the 20s and not great in the red zone. There would be big chunks of time where the O would have three or four sub-one minute three and outs which would put the D in a terrible position.
- Stop me if you have heard this before but... There were a lot of complaints about a total lack of creativity in play calling and plays.
- The offense was one of the worst in the big 12 on 3rd down conversions
- I went to the West Virginia game that year and there were a lot of head scratching play calls... tried to be too cute in my opinion
- they had a really good run game which is awesome because Texas struggled with that before he got there

Overall take... while I like the aggressive nature of the hire I hope that Babers and Gilbert are willing to be flexible and not just be wedded to the same old system. I’m not sure they hurry up air raid is really that unique anymore and I’m not sure how well it works against the defenses in the ACC because the better defenses in the big 12 handled it.

Appreciate the info. Did the QB play improve during the time Gilbert was there?

Even if the offense doesn't operate quite the way people want/expect and even if he leaves in a couple years, this is a good hire. He can come right in and do what DB wants with no real learning curve, other than familiarizing himself with the players. His offenses have never completely been terrible, so even if he has just an okay year next year we should still see some improvement across the board.

My only worry would be the 3rd down and Red zone conversion %'s. This has been an issue for DB as well 3 of the 4 years. I wonder if it's an issue for the type of offense being run or something else. Kind of an interesting question to analyze.

Even if the offense doesn't operate quite the way people want/expect and even if he leaves in a couple years, this is a good hire. He can come right in and do what DB wants with no real learning curve, other than familiarizing himself with the players. His offenses have never completely been terrible, so even if he has just an okay year next year we should still see some improvement across the board.

My only worry would be the 3rd down and Red zone conversion %'s. This has been an issue for DB as well 3 of the 4 years. I wonder if it's an issue for the type of offense being run or something else. Kind of an interesting question to analyze.
If he can help recruit depth and talent over the next two years then it is a big win.

He has done well recruiting in the past.

I like all our backs. Howard continues to find ways to make great runs just about every game he was fed the rock. He has earned more touches. I think a creative OC gets Jordan his touches. Adams will get his.

Yes... based on the one year I saw in Texas get ready for a very horizontal offense with shots down the field to hitch passes where the receiver is sitting in the zone. Do not expect to see screen passes or using the middle of the field.

I think I expect to see mostly what I’ve always seen. Except I’d expect Gilbert to coordinate it better AND better serve the QBs. Lewis isn’t waking back through the door unfortunately.

I definitely prefer the OC to also coach QBs.

I like all our backs. Howard continues to find ways to make great runs just about every game he was fed the rock. He has earned more touches. I think a creative OC gets Jordan his touches. Adams will get his.
Which back has Wildcat potential? Can Jordan also play the slot?

Appreciate the info. Did the QB play improve during the time Gilbert was there?
Tough to gauge given he was there for only one season and he had a 4 star, true freshman qb as a starter. It’s hard to differentiate whether Buechele was good because of the skills and talent he came in with or whether it was developed by Gilbert. I will say the offense overall seemed to get worse over the course of the one season.,, the wvu game I went to was in early November and while they moved the ball against the mountaineer ls they never got any real momentum going and only ended up scoring 20.

To defend Gilbert a bit, it was year one of a total rebuild and we saw how our offense performed in year one of Babers.

Like I said earlier, I love the aggressiveness in the hire. Definitely a big boy move... I’m still not sold on the babers system as I don’t think we’ve ever really seen it work because of our oline issues. Hiring Gilbert seems to be doubling down on the Babers system as opposed to thinking out of the box. I also question how Gilbert will recruit in the NE being a Texas guy and how long he will stick around given his history.

I personally would prefer an offense that’s more vertical, uses the middle of the field and includes a screen pass and a slant every once in a while or something to slow down the rush.

fix the oline and you fix these issues

Tough to gauge given he was there for only one season and he had a 4 star, true freshman qb as a starter. It’s hard to differentiate whether Buechele was good because of the skills and talent he came in with or whether it was developed by Gilbert. I will say the offense overall seemed to get worse over the course of the one season.,, the wvu game I went to was in early November and while they moved the ball against the mountaineer ls they never got any real momentum going and only ended up scoring 20.

To defend Gilbert a bit, it was year one of a total rebuild and we saw how our offense performed in year one of Babers.

Like I said earlier, I love the aggressiveness in the hire. Definitely a big boy move... I’m still not sold on the babers system as I don’t think we’ve ever really seen it work because of our oline issues. Hiring Gilbert seems to be doubling down on the Babers system as opposed to thinking out of the box. I also question how Gilbert will recruit in the NE being a Texas guy and how long he will stick around given his history.

I personally would prefer an offense that’s more vertical, uses the middle of the field and includes a screen pass and a slant every once in a while or something to slow down the rush.

Thanks for the info, actually I think this offense does use a lot of vertical concepts and WR/RB screens when the talent is there. We don't attack the middle of the field that much but it's more because of how the offensive formation spaces out the defense.

Last edited:
no but you fix the oline and the issues with 4th and 1, red zone stuff gets a lot easier to solve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom