New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert

Some of the most iconic passing TD in this system are slot WRs running by S and LBs over the middle of the field (Erv vs Clemson, N.Johnson vs UNC)

TEs have caught a bunch of TDs there too

I think generally, the offense wants to get LBs and S thinking wide to open up those big plays running and passing... but to do that you have to be consistent to your WR1 and WR2 out towards the boundry. So numbers get skewed
Nothing else quite as good as having a 6'5" TE with speed, going deep down the middle against a LB who has no help behind him.

That’s never going to happen but it would be great to be able to pick their brain.
there was talk of it back in the day.. Coach P had something for women to try and help understand the game,

Might be an interesting topic next time to ask about when i run into the coaches again.

there was talk of it back in the day.. Coach P had something for women to try and help understand the game,

Might be an interesting topic next time to ask about when i run into the coaches again.

Oh yeah, I think I recall something about that with coach P.

I’m an adams fan. I think it’ll be adams and Jordan with Howard as a short yardage guy again.

I like Adams a lot as well bees but I think Howard and Jackson are more productive. It's a great problem to have.

Some of the most iconic passing TD in this system are slot WRs running by S and LBs over the middle of the field (Erv vs Clemson, N.Johnson vs UNC)

TEs have caught a bunch of TDs there too

I think generally, the offense wants to get LBs and S thinking wide to open up those big plays running and passing... but to do that you have to be consistent to your WR1 and WR2 out towards the boundry. So numbers get skewed
I just miss the short stuff we ran when Lewis was coaching and erv was catching. He was always in middle of field or inside hashes. Barely remember him ever catching anything outside hashes. I get the whole spread outside and run inside but this year it killed us. Especially as I kept preying for the quick hot route as the blitzing was coming yet no one changed anything drove me nuts.

I just miss the short stuff we ran when Lewis was coaching and erv was catching. He was always in middle of field or inside hashes. Barely remember him ever catching anything outside hashes. I get the whole spread outside and run inside but this year it killed us. Especially as I kept preying for the quick hot route as the blitzing was coming yet no one changed anything drove me nuts.

For sure. I agree that with Lynch, we stopped using the slot guy as well. I think this year we just had to use an extra blocker more often and it limited us in a lot of ways

I agree Shu and Cusian but I did like that they threw/dumped to the blocking back more often than the past.

The inability to run really hurt the short passing game. Teams could rush 3 or 4 and stop the run. Most teams had a linebacker hanging out in the short middle part of the field taking away hot routes.

The inability to run really hurt the short passing game. Teams could rush 3 or 4 and stop the run. Most teams had a linebacker hanging out in the short middle part of the field taking away hot routes.

Running on first down was difficult no doubt... but, not always about the running game because there were a lot of blitzes as well that could have been taken advantage of. I think the fact that their were 2 non threats at WR is what hurt and they were easily covered plus their failure to block/execute on those quick out passes.

I often saw the blitz included only 4 or 5 guys but they were out of three man fronts and our offense couldn’t identify who was coming. Maryland did a great job of spying Riley and getting pressure with only 3 or 4 all game. All of throws had to be down the field. Harris was open all game against Maryland on medium routes.

Great point and I Agree, they need to go back to working the middle of the field whether it be with a slot WR or a TE. too one dimensional working outside. Glad that Dino is addressing issues on both sides of the ball

Great point and I Agree, they need to go back to working the middle of the field whether it be with a slot WR or a TE. too one dimensional working outside. Glad that Dino is addressing issues on both sides of the ball

Was infuriating watching sideline throws last year. Middle of the field was WIDE OPEN on many plays. Get the quick guys in space across the middle. Don't need a HR every play. 7-12 yards/pop dancing down the field works and gasses the opposing defense over the course of the game.

Then, you hit big on a fly route or two.

'Just as Arnett has been soaking up his defensive style under Rocky Long like a sponge for the last decade, Gilbert is fluent in Babers’ offense. Gauging additional coaching changes on offense is best viewed through the same prism. '

Seems a little strange to include these two sentences when you consider that Mike Lynch has been with Dino for 8+ years, since EIU. That's longer than Gilbert. If fluency was the issue, Mike Lynch should be the answer.

'Just as Arnett has been soaking up his defensive style under Rocky Long like a sponge for the last decade, Gilbert is fluent in Babers’ offense. Gauging additional coaching changes on offense is best viewed through the same prism. '

Seems a little strange to include these two sentences when you consider that Mike Lynch has been with Dino for 8+ years, since EIU. That's longer than Gilbert. If fluency was the issue, Mike Lynch should be the answer.
But Gilbert has been learning it since Houston in 2005 so he's been learning it for 15 years. So Gilbert has 7 years on him.

But Gilbert has been learning it since Houston in 2005 so he's been learning it for 15 years. So Gilbert has 7 years on him.

I get your point about Briles and Houston in 2005.
I was thinking that Dino's system is a specific flavor of Briles' offense but maybe it's all the basically the same.

Mink's article is fine. I'm just nitpicking that he included that part about fluency.
Dino first worked with Gilbert in 2012 at EIU at the same time as Lynch.

I get your point about Briles and Houston in 2005.
I was thinking that Dino's system is a specific flavor of Briles' offense but maybe it's all the basically the same.

Mink's article is fine. I'm just nitpicking that he included that part about fluency.
Dino first worked with Gilbert in 2012 at EIU at the same time as Lynch.
I think the big thing is Gilbert will had some new spices to the Dino Flavor.

I find it strange to. The only hidden message I see is that Dino has decided we really miss Sean Lewis.

It’s important to note too, just because a guy has been learning under someone for a certain amount of years doesn’t mean that when left on their own, they will just emulate “the teacher”.

So hopefully Gilbert is just better and more of a natural calling plays and running the O then Lynch. Maybe Lynch goes somewhere else and it all clicks and he’s a superstar down the road. But it’s nice when someone has been learning under someone for a certain period of time but it’s definitely not a guarantee of similar success. You don’t know how someone will do when they’re completely on their own and the tutor is gone to fall back to.

I find it strange to. The only hidden message I see is that Dino has decided we really miss Sean Lewis.
"Green and Growing, red and rotten."

Sterlin understands Dino's offense, but has an outsider's perspective since he hasn't been at SU. He will be able to provide an objective fresh point of view on where the staff is not performing and if it requires a change of focus or a change in people. It's a foreshadowing that more changes are likely coming.

This is an ideal scenario for anyone with a team of people (sports, business, etc). Fluent in the language of the team but a set of fresh eyes. When you are in the middle of it, sometimes it is hard to see the forest through the trees. Good on Dino for driving this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom