New OL Coach: Dale Williams [Official] | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Dale Williams [Official]

I wonder if Louisville wanted the alum as the OL coach, but he was green, so they brought in Williams as “quality control” to give him a hand.
Nice thought

2020 is probably the best indicator.

2021 the line was solid and we had a FR gain nearly 1,000 yards because he was so good at making people miss.

Why wouldn’t 21 be the better indicator.

3 years. Fairly certain, he was quietly asked to leave, after the 20 season(before the final game). Cav wasn't a master Technician. X O guy. That's fine- depending. He coached the 1st 5 or 6 guys. Often the GA will take care of the others, but that wasn't happening. In a player called meeting, the oline decided that the top guys would work with helping to coach the rest. Again - Cav was busy with the starters, and GA's often work in developement...

Schmidt WAS a technician. He was able to find a little more time for the underbelly. They had way more to work on, from the get go. That can take a while, but Bergeron picked it up the quickest. (In Schmidts second year) Schmidt is why he's in the NFL. ;-) He was a good developer.

Dunno squat about Williams, but Purdue fan forum wasn't kind. They have no clue what he was dealing with- as fan forums do. That being said, he did have a top 5 line in the B10, at least once.

I think we need a Master Technician - with a similar GA to work with the underbelly. That last part is important. Takes a couple years. If Williams (and his support) are those guys? Cool! We shall see. ;-)
I would agree. I think we have the guys to bring in high quality recruits without the OL coach being the guy pulling them in. We don’t need a recruiter as much as we need a sound developer.

Why wouldn’t 21 be the better indicator.
Because 2020 falls in line where it was in 2018-2019. In 2021, Purdue had an RB who broke the most tackles in a decade and was able to make people miss in the open field - not an OL indicator.

Because 2020 falls in line where it was in 2018-2019. In 2021, Purdue had an RB who broke the most tackles in a decade and was able to make people miss in the open field - not an OL indicator.
I thought the grades for OL are based strictly on how a given OL does carrying out their assignment on a given play. The grader doesn’t keep watching to see how many yards the RB made making people miss in the open field afterwards.

Am I wrong on this?

I know. I was more talking about the talent he brought in. I answered 20 and 21 because that’s what he asked for for some reason. I’ll check 22.
Makes sense.

Maybe there will be a second OL Coach?
Bored Season 3 GIF by American Gods

I thought the grades for OL are based strictly on how a given OL does carrying out their assignment on a given play. The grader doesn’t keep watching to see how many yards the RB made making people miss in the open field afterwards.

Am I wrong on this?
I guess that’s true. I have no idea. Surprised there was improvement because I thought the line that year was pretty shaky.

I’m guessing the dazzler wasn’t dazzled by Fran?

This is the best we can do?
Addazzio is probably still being paid by TAMU. Make no mistake, my 1st choice for power run. His pass pro was poor for them...

This hire will likely be HCFB''s most important for offense. Nixon was calling a spread/power run offense at Baylor. I suspect that will be our starting point. I'm 3.4 yards and a cloud of dust (Addazio). As long as the run is power concepts, I'm good. (And so are most Olinemen)

Nixon should know whats up, right away. He's called both concepts.

We need a LOT of focus, here. Fran is locking down the DEF. We need to start locking down the offense. EVERYTHING starts up front...

As a team this year SU was 75th in the country pass blocking. Purdue was 76th. Run blocking Purdue was 90th, SU was 117th.
It sounds like Williams wasn't much of a recruiter, but might be able to develop some guys if another, better recruiter sets the table

Yeah so not every hire can be a homerun. If Nixon has ties to this guy it is what it is. My guess would be if the oline is trash in a year, Fran wont wait a second year to replace him. Let’s see how it goes.

Yeah, but it's such a fundamental building block of where the team has been lacking. This is a hugely important hire, and I don't feel like he got the right guy here. This sounds like a Plan B or C kind of guy. I guess they might have run out of money.

important hire, seems well idk a gamble. Wanted someone a little more known. IMO the poor Oline is what sealed Dino’s fate, and the qbs cannot keep getting injured.

Of course tbd on this hire. We shall see.

important hire, seems well idk a gamble. Wanted someone a little more known. IMO the poor Oline is what sealed Dino’s fate, and the qbs cannot keep getting injured.

Of course tbd on this hire. We shall see.

Well known doesnt always mean better... this guy had load of years of experience as a OL coach. Its all he has ever known. Its not like he wasted yeats being a coordinator or HC and got fired. He has been an OLine guy throughout his entire coaching career. And hopefully he prefected his craft.

I would just say that Fran wouldn't make this hire if he didn't know something that we don't. Fran didn't come here to lose.
I agree but it seems like another Cav as Nebraska forums told us we wouldnt like him either and we didnt so theres that.