New OL Coach- Joe Adam | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach- Joe Adam

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes more sense.

I was going to say for the healthcare.

Hey oh...

Welcome Joe Adam. Whatever position you coach, I hope you do it well. And talk kids into playing here. And don't move to Canada.

Seems like he has worked his way up the ranks and ready to make the jump to a program like Syracuse. He seems like a quality coach with a strong resume. Glad he is on our staff. My only question is has he ever been an o-line coach before?

Doesn't look like it. Mostly d-line and d-coordinator, one year as head coach.

On the surface this is a major downgrade. Makes you think Shafer might not have seen this coming after all.

Well, they had more time than this before spring practice starts. This doesn't look good on the surface of it.

The acorn doesn't fall far from the WMU tree.

Let me get this straight. Perles does not actually have a job yet. And we hire a guy who has never coached O line before? What, Scott.

All 3 coaches who quit are on MacDonald's side of the ball. I hope to hell the other 2 replacements have some actual experience at their jobs.

bradrayle said:
Also I am not sure it is a matter of what we can afford with all of Coach Shaffer hires there is one common theme he has connections to them he likes coaches that he knows and trusts.

Correct. None of these moves, in or out, is driven by salary.

Yep because this a school that has always lined up 5 star talent across the line.

Last years line had two kids, Macky, Robinson, and Hickey were all two stars. They didn't become a solid line without a great deal of coaching up. Marrone, Adkins, and Brotski developed them and Perles kept it going. You think you are going to get the necessary level of coaching with a guy that has never done it before in a BCS conference.

I hope this isn't the answer.

Chip Kelly went from UNH to Oregon OC in one jump. Not claiming this is a sure-fire home run hire but I don't think you can make a judgment about his ability to coach the OL position at a BCS school just because he's never coached it at this level before.

Chip Kelly went from UNH to Oregon OC in one jump. Not claiming this is a sure-fire home run hire but I don't think you can make a judgment about his ability to coach the OL position at a BCS school based on the limited info about him that we as fans have.
Put me down as officially predicting that Adam will take TE, ST, and be a recruiter. We will hire a regular OL coach.

I listened to Joes press conference and thought he came across well. What i find surprising is that he has no ties to Coach Mc.

For the reasons you state, I would not be thrilled if Adam were hired as OL coach. For similar reasons, I thought Hackett was an even worse hire.

Hackett had been QB coach with the Bills, had grown up with a long time QB, OC and HC in the NFL and College, and Marrone was back stopping him. There was experience and a support system there.

Adam might be a high pot wunderkin, but there is a decided lack of OL playing or coaching experience on the staff.

It's a HUGE difference.

Chip Kelly went from UNH to Oregon OC in one jump. Not claiming this is a sure-fire home run hire but I don't think you can make a judgment about his ability to coach the OL position at a BCS school just because he's never coached it at this level before.

Good lord, it's not that he hasn't coached it at this level, he's never coached the OL at all.

Kelly had 7 years of experience as an OC at New Hampshire and was recognized as tremendous innovator that was on BCS radar screens for a couple of years.

No one is saying that Adam isn't capable of coaching at this level, the questionable part is as OL coach. All his experience from what I can tell is on the defensive side of the ball. If he wanted to move to offense most guys start out their first job on that side at TE, WR, or RB.

Maybe the thinking is that hiring a defensive guy who knows all the technique and tricks of that side of the ball , that he can better teach offensive lineman how to counter it." To defeat the enemy , first you must think like the enemy". Very smart , maybe HCSS has read The Art Of War.

The better the recruit, usually the less coaching the kid needs. Let's bring in the talent and then figure it out once they're at SU.

Coach Adams just ordered the Patches O'Houlihan video and should be ready to go by spring.

Good lord, it's not that he hasn't coached it at this level, he's never coached the OL at all.

Kelly had 7 years of experience as an OC at New Hampshire and was recognized as tremendous innovator that was on BCS radar screens for a couple of years.

No one is saying that Adam isn't capable of coaching at this level, the questionable part is as OL coach. All his experience from what I can tell is on the defensive side of the ball. If he wanted to move to offense most guys start out their first job on that side at TE, WR, or RB.

That's not what you initially said. I can only respond to what you have posted, not what you will post so I don't quite get your exasperation.

Hey, I guess we'll see how he does. The hire doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence but at the same time just because he has not done it doesn't mean he can't do it. I still say that it's football after all. Coaches try to make it more complicated than it is and we buy into that. I think teaching is difficult. Football isn't so much. I'm hopeful that he's a good teacher.

Hackett had been QB coach with the Bills, had grown up with a long time QB, OC and HC in the NFL and College, and Marrone was back stopping him. There was experience and a support system there.

Adam might be a high pot wunderkin, but there is a decided lack of OL playing or coaching experience on the staff.

It's a HUGE difference.

Believe it or not, Adam's resume is deeper and better than Hackett's when Nate was hired at Syracuse.

Hackett was not a QB coach in the NFL. His bio prior to Syracuse was some time as an offensive assistant at Stanford (no position or play calling responsibilities), then as a quality control assistant for the offense with Buffalo and Tampa. If you are not familiar with what a quality control assistant does -- google it. It ain't calling plays.

That's not what you initially said. I can only respond to what you have posted, not what you will post so I don't quite get your exasperation.

Hey, I guess we'll see how he does. The hire doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence but at the same time just because he has not done it doesn't mean he can't do it. I still say that it's football after all. Coaches try to make it more complicated than it is and we buy into that. I think teaching is difficult. Football isn't so much. I'm hopeful that he's a good teacher.

Not what I said initially? It's exactly what I said.

Man, some of you posters kill me. Apparently many of you fans do not trust Coach Shaf to make a coaching hire that HE feels will benefit the program. I trust HCSS to move SU football into the next phase and will give him the benefit of doubt until he doesn't deserve it.

Maybe the thinking is that hiring a defensive guy who knows all the technique and tricks of that side of the ball , that he can better teach offensive lineman how to counter it." To defeat the enemy , first you must think like the enemy". Very smart , maybe HCSS has read The Art Of War.

And if all blocking schemes were one-on-one, take the man in front of you, that might make sense. But there's a lot more to line play than just beating the defensive guy's technique. It's about trap blocks, pulling, double teams and lots of coordinated efforts among the 5 interior guys and he just has zero experience coaching a group of players to play as a unit before on that side of the ball.

And if all blocking schemes were one-on-one, take the man in front of you, that might make sense. But there's a lot more to line play than just beating the defensive guy's technique. It's about trap blocks, pulling, double teams and lots of coordinated efforts among the 5 interior guys and he just has zero experience coaching a group of players to play as a unit before on that side of the ball.
That's pretty much the definition of zone blocking isn't it?

One of his main responsibilities is going to continue the growing trend of locking up Chicago and other parts of the Midwest. Shafer isn't a dummy, he knows what he's doing.

One of his main responsibilities is going to continue the growing trend of locking up Chicago and other parts of the Midwest. Shafer isn't a dummy, he knows what he's doing.

...that still doesn't answer the question most of us have.