New OL Coach- Joe Adam | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach- Joe Adam

1. Coaches change position duties all the time, and OL coach is one of the easier positions to transfer into

What's that based on?

Think this higher has a lot to do with his recruiting background. Notice how much he has been involved in recruiting. For him to been the head coordinator of recruiting I would have to assume he not only enjoys this aspect but is good at it.

This guy has never been an offensive line coach in his life. And our school is in New York, not Illinois.

I have been vocal about it not mattering where kids come from - as long as they can play. But this hire doesn't make sense on any level.

We already have PLENTY of midwest people on staff to recruit. And if he has been hired to coach the O-Line as is being reported, we have severely downgraded in that area.

I get the fact Shafer should be comfortable with the hire but I'm not impressed. At all.

Maybe Shafer knows Smith is the next one out the door because we refuse to pay our coaches. You know we have to take care of womens lax and hoops. Only reason I can come up with hiring another Illinois guy

Maybe one of the benefits of hiring Joe Adam is now they can afford to give more money to DeAndre Smith or whoever is replacing him.

Recruiting is about having relationships with high school coaches and relating to kids. case in point, I know a couple guys who coached at ithaca college and then onto the 1A level, they used the same relationships with coaches that they built at the d3 level at the higher level, they just go after a higher caliber athlete. D3 coaches still recruit. Also know a guy that went from ivy position coach to head coach at d3, same thing. Relationships are relationships. Bros are bros, meatheads are meatheads.

I think some make this out to be too difficult.

Guys, nothing definitive has said he is coaching the OL. Just that he happened to come in when Perles has left.

When Moore left and McDonald assumed the WR's, we always knew we had an open spot to be defined. Adam's resume to me (former HC) screams ST Coordinator w/ a lot of recruiting responsibilities.

There is still another spot on the staff to fill. Lets see who the hire is there (I would bet it is an OL guy) and then freak out if it isn't!

JB hired Gerry with no coaching experience, I suppose we should all criticize that hire, JB must have made a mistake.

Football is an ENTIRELY different animal. I could expound, but I'll leave it at that.

Guys, nothing definitive has said he is coaching the OL. Just that he happened to come in when Perles has left.

When Moore left and McDonald assumed the WR's, we always knew we had an open spot to be defined. Adam's resume to me (former HC) screams ST Coordinator w/ a lot of recruiting responsibilities.

There is still another spot on the staff to fill. Lets see who the hire is there (I would bet it is an OL guy) and then freak out if it isn't!

Let's let Shafer make his hires and put the staff together before we start running for the whip its

First off, I'm shocked that so many on this board know Joe Adam's of Joe Adam's coaching acumen. Have any of you here spent time with him dissecting game film? Watched him work with kids in practice? Seen what he can do on the recruiting trail or know diddly-poo about his coaching relationships? Not one of us. He could turn out to be a great asset to this program, we don't know. Anything else at this point is just plain silly.

I'm not sure what some of you expected here. Maybe John Gruden or Joh Madden;s bones perhaps?

JB hired Gerry with no coaching experience, I suppose we should all criticize that hire, JB must have made a mistake.

He made two mistakes, because Hop had no experience either.

First off, I'm shocked that so many on this board know Joe Adam's of Joe Adam's coaching acumen. Have any of you here spent time with him dissecting game film? Watched him work with kids in practice? Seen what he can do on the recruiting trail or know diddly-poo about his coaching relationships? Not one of us. He could turn out to be a great asset to this program, we don't know. Anything else at this point is just plain silly.

I'm not sure what some of you expected here. Maybe John Gruden or Joh Madden;s bones perhaps?

I'll speak for myself - Given his resume and what his bio says his past experience is, I'm just disappointed knowing what I know at this point in time.

Willing to listen, but I'm just not that impressed. And the fact that we are losing coaches for somewhat lateral positions is cause for more than a little concern, IMO (moreso DeAndre Smith than Perles).

Recruiting is about having relationships with high school coaches and relating to kids. case in point, I know a couple guys who coached at ithaca college and then onto the 1A level, they used the same relationships with coaches that they built at the d3 level at the higher level, they just go after a higher caliber athlete. D3 coaches still recruit. Also know a guy that went from ivy position coach to head coach at d3, same thing. Relationships are relationships. Bros are bros, meatheads are meatheads.

I think some make this out to be too difficult.

I don't think that's the issue most have. Hell Lester proved that last season on the recruiting trail.

The problem I have is that we are covering an area we already have solid footing in. Lester and Smith did great in the midwest last cycle. Now unless Shafer knows Smith is gone, we are just doubling down on an area we already have covered, while the Mid Atlantic has a gaping whole.

Last edited:

my issue isn't with his coaching, or even recruiting. like you said none of us have any idea how he is in those areas. my problem is that gives us 3 Illinois guys. We need coaches with relationships closer to home where we literally have none. Perles was covering NJ, and Moore was downstate. Or as I said earlier, maybe Shafer knows Smith is gone, in which case the move would make sense.

This, this and this again. With multiple hires since Marrone's departure i've heard moaning and groaning about guys abilities, fit and credentials. It started with complaints about the Shafer hire, then McDonald, Reed, etc. All the 2014 staff did in their first year was finish 3rd in their division in the first year in the ACC, win a bowl game and bring in, arguably, the best recruiting class in 10 years. So i'll take all of the complaining (from the normal complaining crowd) to be a ringing endorsment of our new coach and know, in my heart, he'll work out just fine.

Next man up. Welcome aboard Joe Adam and good luck. We play it hardnosed.

Eric White looks like Gilbert of revenge of the nerds to me, but he did a fantastic job in the recruiting area, I think prejudging this guys recruiting abilities and making comments about his so called lack of experience are a little harsh at this moment.

On the surface this is a major downgrade. Makes you think Shafer might not have seen this coming after all.

Ouch. Feels like a major downgrade. I'll admit that sentiment is unfair since I'm basing it off nothing but what's linked here, but I think it's pretty clear that Perles was pretty good and the best case scenario here is 'young up-and-comer'.

my issue isn't with his coaching, or even recruiting. like you said none of us have any idea how he is in those areas. my problem is that gives us 3 Illinois guys. We need coaches with relationships closer to home where we literally have none. Perles was covering NJ, and Moore was downstate. Or as I said earlier, maybe Shafer knows Smith is gone, in which case the move would make sense.

Take a deep breath. All will be taken care of.

I think you get guys who can coach and let their track record recruit. The o-line is the most important position coach to me, and should be one of the most important guys on the staff behind HC, OC, and DC. Id prefer someone with experience.

If every one is so concerned about recruiting, the we need to get eric white on the staff as an assistant something or other. Im sure he wants to move up, so let him start working as an assistant Dline coach or something.

I think you get guys who can coach and let their track record recruit. The o-line is the most important position coach to me, and should be one of the most important guys on the staff behind HC, OC, and DC. Id prefer someone with experience.

If every one is so concerned about recruiting, the we need to get eric white on the staff as an assistant something or other. Im sure he wants to move up, so let him start working as an assistant Dline coach or something.

many great HC's have the exact opposite mindset when it comes to building a coaching staff

That is a ridiculous comparison.

A College basketball staffs player to coach ratio is unreal to begin with. And he was promoted from GA when Fine left if I'm not mistaken, with Hopkins and Autry ahead of him.

And nobody is saying that Adams isn't qualified to coach at a BCS school. The question is is a guy that has never coached the OL anywhere in a position to succeed when his first time doing it is in the ACC?

The Lester comparison is a joke. Lester played the position at a very high level, he was the QB coach at a MAC school before being a successful HC for four seasons. He was completely qualified for the position he holds today.

I don't think there is anybody on the staff, other than Brotski, and he's not a coach, that has played, let alone coached it at this point.

Let's just say, it's a risky move. If the guy is coming in as TE coach, makes all the sense in the world, but this, not so much.

That is a ridiculous comparison.

A College basketball staffs player to coach ratio is unreal to begin with. And he was promoted from GA when Fine left if I'm not mistaken, with Hopkins and Autry ahead of him.

And nobody is saying that Adams isn't qualified to coach at a BCS school. The question is is a guy that has never coached the OL anywhere in a position to succeed when his first time doing it is in the ACC?

The Lester comparison is a joke. Lester played the position at a very high level, he was the QB coach at a MAC school before being a successful HC for four seasons. He was completely qualified for the position he holds today.

I don't think there is anybody on the staff, other than Brotski, and he's not a coach, that has played, let alone coached it at this point.

Let's just say, it's a risky move. If the guy is coming in as TE coach, makes all the sense in the world, but this, not so much.

Consider it expounded upon.