New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU

I will echo the thoughts others have already posted.

I like getting someone other coaches on the staff have worked with and know well.

I like bringing in a coach with a lot of experience coaching the OL (but not too much; still young and vital). He has a solid track record of success with his OL units.

I like bringing in a coach who is used to being tasked to identify talented players not ready to contribute immediately, but with a lot of potential, and developing them into players. We need to stress development with our players. Coaches used to coaching a lot of HS AA types aren't going to fit in really well in Syracuse.

I like an OL coach with a square head and no neck. The Hawaiian kids should be able to relate to a guy like this.

The adjustment from the weather in San Diego to Syracuse is going to be a big challenge for him. One end of the bell curve to the other. Look what it did to Bud Poliquin.
FDA warning: moving from San Diego weather to Syracuse weather may cause sudden outbursts of words like "ramrod", "ducat" and "huzzah"

for all the San Diego is the greatest place on earth talk Dino must have done a heck of a sell job to get a San Diego lifer to move to Syracuse.
Yes, it is lovely, except for the fires. I was there for a trade show once. Woke up to ash raining down. Realized it was peoples' houses, pets, etc. Trade show was cancelled that day.

I will echo the thoughts others have already posted.

I like getting someone other coaches on the staff have worked with and know well.

I like bringing in a coach with a lot of experience coaching the OL (but not too much; still young and vital). He has a solid track record of success with his OL units.

I like bringing in a coach who is used to being tasked to identify talented players not ready to contribute immediately, but with a lot of potential, and developing them into players. We need to stress development with our players. Coaches used to coaching a lot of HS AA types aren't going to fit in really well in Syracuse.

I like an OL coach with a square head and no neck. The Hawaiian kids should be able to relate to a guy like this.

The adjustment from the weather in San Diego to Syracuse is going to be a big challenge for him. One end of the bell curve to the other. Look what it did to Bud Poliquin.
I like bringing in a coach that was not just fired by his last program.

Dad?
SD State was tied for 19th in the country last year in penalties per game. My guess is that we are going to see a decrease in the penalties the OL commits.

That said, anytime you run a super fast paced offense, the pace of play is going to impact penalties committed to some degree.

Hopefully he can simplify things for the OL and improve their discipline. Really excited to see what kind of changes are made from a technique perspective. I think a lot of the OL has struggled to adjust to Cavanagh’s style.

SD State was tied for 19th in the country last year in penalties per game. My guess is that we are going to see a decrease in the penalties the OL commits.

That said, anytime you run a super fast paced offense, the pace of play is going to impact penalties committed to some degree.

This is going to sound funny, given the hellacious two years of OL injuries and subpar performance we've had. But what you're describing sounds like a welcome change. The raw materials we've added to the pipeline these last two recruiting classes are going to go a long way toward positioning us for long term success with the OL.

But only if we have a coach who can coax the max level of productivity out of a group that has all of the right tools, but weren't highly recruited. If Schmidt [and doesn't his last name just sound like an OL coach?] is a guy who can coach them into a productive unit, then sign me up.

Yes, it is lovely, except for the fires. I was there for a trade show once. Woke up to ash raining down. Realized it was peoples' houses, pets, etc. Trade show was cancelled that day.

There may be more truth to this than even you might have intended. Fires are gonna be a fixture in Cali's future, especially southern Cali. I've been to San Diego, and I love San Diego. However, there are now times of the year when I wouldn't want to live there.

Who knows? With climate change, Syracuse may well become a vacation destination...

Median home price in Cuse. 120k
San Diego. 730k
yeah my daughter will be graduating SDSU next year and will be staying out there. When my wife and I started looking into living out there I figured out that I would have to work until I am 119 years old in order to afford a 1 bedroom townhouse vs the 4 bedroom house here in snowy/cold Illinois. Soooo, we will just start collecting frequent flier miles I guess

Resume looks pretty good based on rushing attack at SDSU. He’s a beefy guy too. Don’t trust a skinny chef and or a skinny lineman and he doesn’t look like either. I like it
What about a bald barber?

Last edited:
So I'm of the belief that the best recruiter isn't the best strategy for us anymore. At some point you have to face your limitations head on and build your program around them. Identify the right players and develop them. Which is why I think staff choices like this make a lot of sense.
Yup we are a developmental program. This coach looks like he will be really comfortable recruiting Blue Collar neighborhoods in SU's natural territories.

yeah my daughter will be graduating SDSU next year and will be staying out there. When my wife and I started looking into living out there I figured out that I would have to work until I am 119 years old in order to afford a 1 bedroom townhouse vs the 4 bedroom house here in snowy/cold Illinois. Soooo, we will just start collecting frequent flier miles I guess
When I saw how cheap houses were in cuse? I wondered if it was cheaper to just buy a house, instead of grabbing a hotel when I'm there. About 4 times Cuse where I'm at, and that sucks.

I've got to imagine that cost of living wise, Syracuse is like, what, 1/5 of San Diego?
here we go batman GIF

Coach Schmidt is not a fan of the camera; very limited photos available. For an OL Coach that is quite fine; his player’s performance speak for him! I like this hire!

Have also lately heard San Diego referred to as California's Jacksonville. So maybe it's an upgrade.
Politically yes, both are more conservative than their instate sister cities. I love Syracuse and CNY but San Diego (especially near Coronado and LaJolla) is about as close to living perfection (assuming you have the money and don't have to commute more than 20 mins to work). I'm sure Cost of Living and the chance to get to the P5 was a big factor. We might only have him for a couple years...we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom