New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU

So I'm of the belief that the best recruiter isn't the best strategy for us anymore. At some point you have to face your limitations head on and build your program around them. Identify the right players and develop them. Which is why I think staff choices like this make a lot of sense.
Agree 100%.

Good hire. He has been at SDST for a decade ... he also has coached a OL that has been ranked in the top 20 in rushing for several years. Many of his lineman have earned individual awards or honors. People should be happy. His resume seems to be better than the guys that people wanted. I’m just curious as to how his players have developed in the pass blocking area

Our O-Line is gonna kill it with infield play now.

I am extremely disappointed it has taken 2 pages and I had to make the baseball reference...

Well, OX did post a picture of that magical mustache.

I cannot believe this took to two pages:

1613655133604.png

Good hire. People should be happy. His resume seems to be better than the guys that people wanted.

Yeah, SDSU isn’t going to out-recruit a lot of teams, but they are clearly great at coaching up of the guys they do get.

Which is exactly what we need.

Our OL pass the eye test, but not so much on the field. Too many missed assignments, etc.

This guy seems like he can fix that.

“If you can walk, you can play offensive line.”

Did we find our very own Patches O’Houlihan?

Kidding aside, he sounds like a coach who keeps it simple and isn’t trying to reinvent the wheel.

Pretty much what I’d want from a college OL coach given the limited time they have to work with talent.

Last edited:
OL coach I really don’t care if they recruit well as long as they can teach the scheme and keep the guys in shape.

We can pay for recruiters we can’t survive for bad OL coaching.

This guy has enough of a resume and the program results to satisfy what we should expect.

Good hire. He has been at SDST for a decade ... he also has coached a OL that has been ranked in the top 20 in rushing for several years. Many of his lineman have earned individual awards or honors. People should be happy. His resume seems to be better than the guys that people wanted. I’m just curious as to how his players have developed in the pass blocking area
Yes. This.

2 big question marks for me:
How was his offensive line's pass protection?

Can he coach the run game at the same level in a Power 5 conference?

So I'm of the belief that the best recruiter isn't the best strategy for us anymore. At some point you have to face your limitations head on and build your program around them. Identify the right players and develop them. Which is why I think staff choices like this make a lot of sense.

If you're a good coach, (and can back it with all-league and getting players drafted) kids will want to play for you.

Interesting a name no one expected. Clearly DB sees running the ball is a priority to get the passing game going. Went outside his coaching tree. I agree with other posts not to concerned about his recruiting as long as he can coach.
Now the big question does he get hired by MissSt in the next two days before moving to SU.

in the last 5 yrs against the pac-12 S they ran for

152 vs cal
334 vs cal
280 vs Ariz St
171 vs St
280 vs Ariz St

even the worse game was about 4 yds a carry.. we would kill for running that much in our bad games

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom