New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU

With all the disasters(wildfires) that have hit California along with covid a lot of people are looking at other parts of the country to relocate too when able...safer and less expensive. Syracuse doesn't look so bad whe compared to what California has gone though in the last couple of years...jmo...

So, when it comes to fishes and loaves on the coaching staff... we still have another hire coming to replace Lustig, right? Or was that Samuel and we're considered fully staffed and someone on staff will be named special teams coordinator*.

*Which I assume might be the worst job on the staff because you have to hang out with punters.

So, when it comes to fishes and loaves on the coaching staff... we still have another hire coming to replace Lustig, right? Or was that Samuel and we're considered fully staffed and someone on staff will be named special teams coordinator*.

*Which I assume might be the worst job on the staff because you have to hang out with punters.
We are at Full pond. Just need to assign a current coach the Special Teams and a replacement for Bartow.

Footage OIG hired as a a football coach, then finding out it's for special teams.

giphy.gif

I figure ferri may take the st roll. Samuels in now wr. That leaves Ferri only coaching te.

The adjustment from the weather in San Diego to Syracuse is going to be a big challenge for him. One end of the bell curve to the other. Look what it did to Bud Poliquin.

Dare we hope for the return of whiz-bang? Whiz-bang with shades of opera? Don't toy with me, Tom. You know how emotional I can get over this. There's not enough ginger ale in the world to bring me back to normal.

I figure ferri may take the st roll. Samuels in now wr. That leaves Ferri only coaching te.
I checked the experience for all the assistant coaches on staff. None have been special teams coordinators before.

Agree with your speculation on Reno. He appears to have a little less on his plate than the other coaches. Also, he has been on staff for a long time and should be aware of how we have handled special teams in the past.

I doubt one of the new coaches will get it. They will have their hands full learning the new schemes.

But who knows, maybe someone has a strong interest and a hidden background here.

It looks to me as though Dino really valued teaching ability and experience when he chose the new assistants. Both have been coaching in the same place for more than a decade and are known for their ability to develop players.

Anyone check what SDSU fans are saying?
There were some interested comments about cavanaugh we completely ignored a few years back

Looking into it more, SDSU averaged 2.9 yards per carry over the past 3 years ( SU was 3.8, Buffalo was 5.9).
College Football Stats - College FB Team Yards per Rush Attempt on TeamRankings.com
Sack % was 6.12 (SU was 10.53-largely thanks to Dungey IMO, Buffalo (12.9)

Looking into it more, SDSU averaged 2.9 yards per carry over the past 3 years ( SU was 3.8, Buffalo was 5.9).
College Football Stats - College FB Team Yards per Rush Attempt on TeamRankings.com
To get the numbers on the ground they were getting they must have run a LOT at 2,9 yards/carry

To get the numbers on the ground they were getting they must have run a LOT at 2,9 yards/carry
They did. To be fair, the rushing numbers were better last year and especially in the years prior to 2018. They really struggled in 2018 and 2019.

2.9 ypc is sufficient

As long as you go for it every 4th down.

Interesting take from their fans. More positive then negative. Placed poor play calling on oc because teams stacked the box knowing it was run. Did have issues with pass blocking with third and long but said could have been qb.
DB took his time with this hire so I am hopeful he will turn the line around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom