new practice facility | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

new practice facility

Windows add a ton; the warehouse look leaves something to be desired.

Hell, look at the new one North Dakota is building.

IndoorPraticeFacility.png

That is really cool, and a bargain at that price.
First off, welcome to the ACC. I just graduated from Tech in May and I have seen the facility. It is nice but keep in mind it is just an indoor field. The weight room, locker room, etc. are in another facility.

First off, welcome to the ACC. I just graduated from Tech in May and I have seen the facility. It is nice but keep in mind it is just an indoor field. The weight room, locker room, etc. are in another facility.

Still better than the practice bubbles alot of teams are putting up for similar pricing. Did GaTech update the rest of the facilities as well?

Still better than the practice bubbles alot of teams are putting up for similar pricing. Did GaTech update the rest of the facilities as well?
The weight room, locker room and player's area had their last major update in 2003-2004 when the stadium was expanded. The final price tag on the practice facility was $9 mill once they added some additional features (solar panels and other "green" bells and whistles)

The weight room, locker room and player's area had their last major update in 2003-2004 when the stadium was expanded. The final price tag on the practice facility was $9 mill once they added some additional features (solar panels and other "green" bells and whistles)

Not bad at all. Thanks for the info

We just redid the weight room. I don't think we would need to upgrade that. The locker room needs to be upgraded as well as some other things. But I would still do what you all did for the indoor facility at that price and then fix the rest separately. The warehouse look sux IMO and your place could make a difference all things being equal.

Freeney too busy to write a check from his $72mil contract? I wouldn't mind a Freeney Practice Facility.

Hell, look at the new one North Dakota is building.

IndoorPraticeFacility.png
They better hold off on painting the endzone until the NCAA get's it act together on the mascot issue - otherwise the school will have to do get out the old eraser!!

If they build it at skytop are they going to have new outdoor fields there as well? It worked out well before (I can't remember if it was spring or preseason) when they started a practice outside and had to move inside due to weather, and lost only 5 minutes because they were already next to Manley.

Its being built on the Schwartzwalder practice field at Manley. Not at Skytop.

Michigan's facility is nice.
At some point they start looking a lot alike.

This is Alabama's... opened in '86 and upgraded & expanded to 100 yards in 2009.
I see there's a camera location behind the endzone.

large_Indoor%20facility%20ALcom.jpg

Pretty telling - Alabama has had an indoor facility since 1986.

It will take SU more than 25 years to catch up.

Pretty telling - Alabama has had an indoor facility since 1986.

It will take SU more than 25 years to catch up.
Cuse has had an indoor practice facility since 1961? Manley
Then the Dome in 1980
After this new one opens...Cuse will have 3 indoor facilities.
Don't sell us short.

Cuse has had an indoor practice facility since 1961? Manley
Then the Dome in 1980
After this new one opens...Cuse will have 3 indoor facilities.
Don't sell us short.

It's true that Manley was way ahead of its time - built in 1962 - but it was rarely used for football because the dirt floor made it virtually impossible for the players who would hack dirt for days after practice.

And, by 1977, the dirt floor and the pretty much non-existent football use were both gone.

The Carrier Dome was again way ahead of its time in 1980, but trying to schedule all of the sports that required its use was very difficult.

The new Manley has been a real plus. But it does not have the wow factor that so many other venues have.

That Alabama has had what appears to be a state of the art football facility since 1986 is remarkable.

We have a long way to go.

I'd previously posted on TSS back in May/June that we were 12-18 months away from breaking ground. I was also told that we were going to mimic the Jets practice facility WITHOUT the weightroom.

I wonder how our enterance into the ACC changes the design? Do they include a breakroom / players lounge? Do they include an updated weightroom? Stripper poles? (just kidding)
A picture tour of the Jets' facility.
http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/training-center.html

Can Arkansas really be making that much money a year in football that they can justify building a $300 million facility. That's a bunch of money. I see now it could take up to 30 years, lol. Don't tell the new recruits that though.

still hard to understand how empty buildings cost so much to build.

massive square footage cost money, the pre-engineered metal building or wharehouse look as people are calling it is the cheapest way to do this and definitely the way Syracuse will go, Just to get the turf, the foundation and concret down for the playing surface is a couple million minium... Combine that with the need to get the deck/ roof height high enough to allow for the kicking game can get pricey. Function first, style points with whatever you have left over, I think the budget was about 9-10 mil if I remember correctly, which is sufficient, they key to any new facility is to allow for easy upgrades and renovation in the future, can save a ton down the road. Regardless of style, this will be huge for the football program

Can Arkansas really be making that much money a year in football that they can justify building a $300 million facility. That's a bunch of money. I see now it could take up to 30 years, lol. Don't tell the new recruits that though.
if you read the article it's $300M over 30 years and covers all of their facilities - football stadium renovation, baseball stadium renovation, new or improved facilities for all sports. Doesn't seem that out of line given the time period and the fact that it's the state's flagship university and I'm sure much of this will be covered by the taxpayers in one way or another.

What I would like to know is...when is the major Carrier Dome renovation scheduled to begin?

It's true that Manley was way ahead of its time - built in 1962 - but it was rarely used for football because the dirt floor made it virtually impossible for the players who would hack dirt for days after practice.

And, by 1977, the dirt floor and the pretty much non-existent football use were both gone.

The Carrier Dome was again way ahead of its time in 1980, but trying to schedule all of the sports that required its use was very difficult.

The new Manley has been a real plus. But it does not have the wow factor that so many other venues have.

That Alabama has had what appears to be a state of the art football facility since 1986 is remarkable.

We have a long way to go.

I understand..that Manley was rarely used, I know we both remember the raised floor days at MFH...but I take the more positive outlook. With the Dome and Manley combined that is a pretty good fallback position. 1 3/4 > 1

Once the new facility gets built the Orange should be able to sell 2 indoor Full Sized Football Fields plus Manley which is about 3/4s sized in length. (Obviously Manley at that point might be redirected to Lax/Softball/Field Hockey) We shouldn't take a back seat to anyone...but we know HS kids are impressed with glitz so we better go with the higher priced trim package.