new practice facility | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

new practice facility

Is that where they take classes?

Not individual classes, but it's the academic support center - tutoring, studying, all that jazz. Basically like the library for athletes.

Pretty telling - Alabama has had an indoor facility since 1986.

It will take SU more than 25 years to catch up.

So since Alabama built an indoor facility 25 years ago it will take us 25 years to catch up? As if they've been evolving ever since? UConn stood up a program almost overnight because they had $. We'll have more $ to play with now. We build it right, it won't take that long.

It's not like Alabama has spent the last 25 years on top of the college football world. Post Stallings and pre Saban, they were average at best for a lot of years. Maybe they got a little lazy with their facilities. Probably kept the 1986 wood panneling until Saban personally ripped it off the walls.

Not to sound like a dick, but if I'm running the program I could give two sh!ts about the fans right now, they need to build all new locker rooms in the Dome first and foremost. Then football practice facility, then new medical treatment center, then they can maybe work on the Dome. The players don't care about having metal benches or small concourses or POS without credit card machines. These things won't help recruit an athlete.

That's a great point. My view on the Dome upgrade isn't to appease the fans, but to improve recruiting. But maybe you're right that it doesn't have as much effect on recruiting as I would think.

Well, lets see.

Alabama built a football-only - essentially state of the art even by today's standards - in 1986.

Hopefully, Syracuse University will build a similar facility in 2012 or 2013.

Actually, that would be 26 or 27 years to catch up - sorry never been all that good in math.

And, yes, Alabama hasn't all that good - only two National Championships since the early 1990s.

And, yes, Alabama hasn't all that good - only two National Championships since the early 1990s.

Since the early 1990s?

1993: all regular-season wins vacated; 1-12
1997: 4-7
2000: 3-8
2003: 4-9
2004: 6-6
2005 : all wins vacated; 0-2
2006: all wins vacated; 0-7
2007: five wins vacated; 2-6

Like most teams, they've had good years and bad.

Since the early 1990s?

I forgot about all the sanctions and the effect they had on the Bama record - regardless of the two NCs.

The original point was more about Syracuse University's inability to keep up with infrastructure development starting in the mid-1980s.

Well, lets see.

Alabama built a football-only - essentially state of the art even by today's standards - in 1986.

Actually, that would be 26 or 27 years to catch up - sorry never been all that good in math.

Your most lawyer-ly point of the week, although your attempt to dispute my point helped prove my point. Thanks. Stallings 1992, Saban 2009. I'm sure the rest of the seasons in between were Sugar Bowl seasons where they just lost a game or 2. There's no way team could have a bunch of 6, 7, 8, 9 loss seasons mixed in there with those facilities.

Well, lets see.

big difference between "it took SU more than 25 years to catch up" and "it will take SU more than 25 years to catch up" - it seems you meant the former, unless you think Bama is about to debut some space age training facility that SU wouldn't even be able to conceptualize now while building their new facility

Since the early 1990s?

Like most teams, they've had good years and bad.

I'd take their good years. Another reason we need to become the most corrupt program in college football.

Let's work on getting financing for a new stadium and just use the current "Dome" as the indoor practice facility, basketball arena, lacrosse stadium, and all other indoor sports facility...

Devils advocate.

Have you seen the locker rooms in the Dome? They bring the prospective recruits in there on officials, and they haven't been modified since the 80's. This also won't cost too much money and we will still have plenty for the practice field. Manley serves its purpose for the time being.

As for the fans, I wasn't talking about filling the Dome. I was saying that upgrading the Dome should be way down the list right now. Obviously having a full dome helps with recruiting. But facilities for prospective athletes are a much higher priority.

Question I have asked before and never gotten a serious answer except words like "glitz". We always talk about needing an indoor practice facility, but what exactly is the Dome? Is it because the Dome is not located near Manley and the other football facilities?

It's not a 100% dedicated football only facility located next to the weights / study halls / living situations of the players, etc...so says the SUAD.

Hard to throw the ball around when there is a hoops game going on.