new practice facility | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

new practice facility

I understand..that Manley was rarely used, I know we both remember the raised floor days at MFH...but I take the more positive outlook. With the Dome and Manley combined that is a pretty good fallback position. 1 3/4 > 1

Once the new facility gets built the Orange should be able to sell 2 indoor Full Sized Football Fields plus Manley which is about 3/4s sized in length. (Obviously Manley at that point might be redirected to Lax/Softball/Field Hockey) We shouldn't take a back seat to anyone...but we know HS kids are impressed with glitz so we better go with the higher priced trim package.

Good stuff TM, are you thinking the granite countertops and the stainless steel appliances as well as crown moulding in the master? :)

least of the program's needs IMO

I wouldn't say least. Certainly there are higher priorities right now, but I'm kind of tired of being told by opposing fans who visit that the home stadium is a dump.

least of the program's needs IMO

I wouldn't say least. Certainly there are higher priorities right now, but I'm kind of tired of being told by opposing fans who visit that the home stadium is a dump.

Gotta agree with Nirvana on this one.
Priority #1 is the Medical & Practice facilities
Priority #2 should be a full tilt dome renovation.

The stadium looks like ass on television and could stand to use a major retrofit.

Gotta agree with Nirvana on this one.
Priority #1 is the Medical & Practice facilities
Priority #2 should be a full tilt dome renovation.

The stadium looks like ass on television and could stand to use a major retrofit.
so what else is there football-wise?
1. Medical Facilities
2. Offices/Meeting Rooms/Lounges
3. Practice Facilities
4. Dome Renovation

4th out of 4 = least :)

of course I'd put marching band upgrade ahead of dome renovation as well - but that might just be me

Totally agree with you, 44. Something I'm sure can be done even in the near term to make it appear better on TV. The lighting in particular is horrible, and even a fresh coat of paint or something to get rid of the concrete look. Whatever. I don't pretend to know exactly what needs to be done, but go through stadiums across the country and figure out what can be done both now and later.

Its being built on the Schwartzwalder practice field at Manley. Not at Skytop.

That's what I thought, too. An associate AD said otherwise. As I said, take it with a grain of salt.

so what else is there football-wise?
1. Medical Facilities
2. Offices/Meeting Rooms/Lounges
3. Practice Facilities
4. Dome Renovation

4th out of 4 = least :)

of course I'd put marching band upgrade ahead of dome renovation as well - but that might just be me

I agree with you, but items #1 thru #3 should all be incorporated into a new state of the art football practice facility.

In actuality, I'd like the new construction become a stand-alone football sports complex and not just a practice facility. All football business should be run in this stand-alone structure. Leave Manley for the Olympic sports.

Maybe take over the space by the soccer fields

Totally agree with you, 44. Something I'm sure can be done even in the near term to make it appear better on TV. The lighting in particular is horrible, and even a fresh coat of paint or something to get rid of the concrete look. Whatever. I don't pretend to know exactly what needs to be done, but go through stadiums across the country and figure out what can be done both now and later.

Replacing the benches would go a long way, as would a paint job of the interior. Paint it orange, paint it navy, do something.

If we're going to have all of the giveaways and rock music rather than the old college football gameday experience, let's go all the way.

Shark tank, lasers, explosions after first downs, strippers on the upright pole, making it rain on the players, getting a live ill-tempered mascot like a puma or something, and dollar beers all game.

Make it happen doctor.

Not to sound like a dick, but if I'm running the program I could give two sh!ts about the fans right now, they need to build all new locker rooms in the Dome first and foremost. Then football practice facility, then new medical treatment center, then they can maybe work on the Dome. The players don't care about having metal benches or small concourses or POS without credit card machines. These things won't help recruit an athlete.

Not to sound like a dick, but if I'm running the program I could give two sh!ts about the fans right now,
Thankfully you're not running the program. Apparently TGD does give two sh!ts about the fans as shown by the ticket giveaways, fan friendly events and such.

they need to build all new locker rooms in the Dome first and foremost. Then football practice facility, then new medical treatment center, then they can maybe work on the Dome.
So you would make sure the players (SU and opponents) had cushy new gameday locker rooms before the practice facility is built? Which facility would the players spend more time in and which would most immediately affect the performance on the field? Practice field.

And as for the medical facility, that should be priority #1. How many misdiagnosed injuries could have been avoided? Van Chew's mystery appendix comes to mind.

The players don't care about having metal benches or small concourses or POS without credit card machines. These things won't help recruit an athlete.
As Marrone and Rahme have stated on multiple occasions, fans in seats affect a recruits perception of a program. This is how we lost out on Jarron Jones. Say what you want, but an improved fan experience will improve recruiting.

Not to sound like a dick, but if I'm running the program I could give two sh!ts about the fans right now, they need to build all new locker rooms in the Dome first and foremost. Then football practice facility, then new medical treatment center, then they can maybe work on the Dome. The players don't care about having metal benches or small concourses or POS without credit card machines. These things won't help recruit an athlete.

But if those credit card machines are being used to shower players with cash, that will help recruiting.

Question I have asked before and never gotten a serious answer except words like "glitz". We always talk about needing an indoor practice facility, but what exactly is the Dome? Is it because the Dome is not located near Manley and the other football facilities?

"And as for the medical facility, that should be priority #1. How many misdiagnosed injuries could have been avoided? Van Chew's mystery appendix comes to mind."

None.

BTW, it wasn't an appendix problem that I recall. Strained muscle vs. hernia I think.

Question I have asked before and never gotten a serious answer except words like "glitz". We always talk about needing an indoor practice facility, but what exactly is the Dome? Is it because the Dome is not located near Manley and the other football facilities?

That, and the lack of exclusivity. The basketball court is down periodically throughout October, November, and December; the lacrosse team is in there pretty often; the softball team takes turns in the Dome, too. And I think Section III has football and soccer games in there throughout the fall.

The athletic department wants a 120-yard indoor field that will be guaranteed to be available for football use at every moment 365 days a year.

(The proximity to Manley and its weight room, coaches' offices, locker room, film rooms, and academic center is important, too, which is why talk of constructing the football building on Skytop is pretty curious. The sunken area at Colvin and Lancaster seems a much better location.)

There is something to be said about having classrooms within earshot of the field. Going right from the classroom...to field...back to classroom is a huge advantage. This is especially true when you consider the time constraints a D1 program is under.

Not having to drive from the Dome to Manley is huge. The time spent shuffling between facilities is 1/2 hour more per day they can spend studying film. Maximizing their time is a big deal.

"BTW, it wasn't an appendix problem that I recall. Strained muscle vs. hernia I think.

You got me here. It was a hernia, not an appendix. Mea culpa.

The athletic department wants a 120-yard indoor field that will be guaranteed to be available for football use at every moment 365 days a year.

Are we joining the CFL?

I wonder people think the dome looks bad on tv , i dont see the field looking any different than what the super dome did playing Tulane.. the turf is the turf and it sure seems pretty bright when go into the dome to watch a game.. paint the seats, wrap the seats, cover the seats with blankets. just something to remove the silver empty seat look

There is something to be said about having classrooms within earshot of the field. Going right from the classroom...to field...back to classroom is a huge advantage. This is especially true when you consider the time constraints a D1 program is under.

Not having to drive from the Dome to Manley is huge. The time spent shuffling between facilities is 1/2 hour more per day they can spend studying film. Maximizing their time is a big deal.

Not sure what you are saying? The Dome is closer to classrooms.

Not sure what you are saying? The Dome is closer to classrooms.

I think he's referring to the Stevenson academic facility in Manley. Most players spend much more time in there than in classrooms.

I think he's referring to the Stevenson academic facility in Manley. Most players spend much more time in there than in classrooms.

Is that where they take classes?

Not talking about academic classrooms at all. I'm talking about actual football meeting rooms that would be located within the practice facility.

Imagine our team being able to breakdown tape...then go right to the field and practice what they just saw...then go right back into the meeting room (or classroom) to watch the video of that practice.

This would speed up the learning curve and just isn't a possibility now.