New WR Coach: Michael Johnson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New WR Coach: Michael Johnson

Very true. Money definitely talks. And things are starting to look very nice at Syracuse. Willie Taggart switches jobs like a mad man.

Taggart hired Johnson at Oregon and then brought him to FAU. I'm sure they're close and his son is in good hands.

Can he convince Taj Harris to come back?
And just why would we want that? Are we short of head cases? (Joke alert)

Attachments

• 20A33607-3D63-407C-B863-9BE68773C621.gif
    20A33607-3D63-407C-B863-9BE68773C621.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Interesting career path would be my one red flag on this

However, willing to see where it goes.

Hopeful he can become the Coach Monroe stud recruiter but for the offense
The NFL ties and years of relationships will be the biggest factors in trying to recruit kids to CNY. imo

With such a tough schedule next yr we could play better and lose a few close games and still not go to a bowl but be a much better team..

I hope this staff has 2 yrs to get this turned in a good direction if they need it.
Cannot think like that.

It's a harder schedule next year, but it doesn't matter. A bowl is attainable. Not getting to 6 and bowl eligibility is a failure.

With such a tough schedule next yr we could play better and lose a few close games and still not go to a bowl but be a much better team..

I hope this staff is here for 2 yrs to get this turned in a good direction if they need it.
I fixed it for you.

Taggart hired Johnson at Oregon and then brought him to FAU. I'm sure they're close and his son is in good hands.
Taggart also just demoted MJ to Tight Ends coach. He was OC/QB coach. I’m sure that played a part as well. WR coach at Syracuse > TE coach at FAU

A lot of stops. I know that’s the nature of it, but hasn’t been in one place longer than 2-3 years.

There is lots of judgment in your posts.

“Judging a person does not define who they are…it defines who you are,”
Yes, I do have my moments of which I am not proud! Also, I don’t do the best job of delineating when something is meant as a joke!

A lot of stops. I know that’s the nature of it, but hasn’t been in one place longer than 2-3 years.
Have you seen Dino Babers resume? He has a similar looking one. It all depends on the fit and the team.

Taggart also just demoted MJ to Tight Ends coach. He was OC/QB coach. I’m sure that played a part as well. WR coach at Syracuse > TE coach at FAU

True true. Hired as co-offensive coordinator and the quarterback’s coach and was going into 2022 as TE coach. Hines Ward is the WR coach now, great player. Wonder what the story is with the moves. FAU wasn't that good. 5-7 and struggled to score points.

I will not lie, the past two years of Syracuse sports has put a damper on my enthusiasm and fandom. Im sure the feelings widespread.

These hires are rekindling the hope though. If Babers is this trusted by the AD then hell, im in for 2-3 more years with King Ohana

I'd love to hear what part Anae and Beck played in this hire...
Has worked the west coast and southeast part of the country.
MAN...do we need help with recruiting.

Looks like a victim of circumstance with his short stints...he got caught up in a lot of Head Coaches being fired or leaving when he'd just been brought in.

*2010 49rs fired Singletary (19-22 over 3 yrs). Johnson was the OC at the time (2nd yr, 1st as OC). Not retained by Harbaugh. This was assuredly performance based.
*2011 his first year at UCLA. Neuheisal fired that same season in yr 4. Johnson tabbed interim HC for one game. Not retained.
*2014-16 HS head coach (son played)
*2017/18 hired by Taggart at Oregon. Taggart leaves on his own. Johnson retained by Cristobal.
*2019 Johnson leaves on his own to take Miss St WR job under Moorehead. Moorehead fired after 1 year.

In his 3 NFL stints he was promoted. WR to QBs. QB to OC.

Last edited:
I will not lie, the past two years of Syracuse sports has put a damper on my enthusiasm and fandom. Im sure the feelings widespread.

These hires are rekindling the hope though. If Babers is this trusted by the AD then hell, im in for 2-3 more years with King Ohana
At this point we HAVE TOO keep Dino for 2 years regardless. At that point if you don’t see a return in your investment then we can talk. I like the approach, we are a university that offers good salary and stability. If you come with us we will keep you on staff if you just simply make a bowl game. It’s actually appealing in this day and age where colleges turn over coaches like pancakes. That needs to be our selling point for assistants and coaches. Stability is important, people don’t like moving every 2-3 years.

Never thought I'd say this after last season. But if the team shows genuine improvement this year, but doesn't end up with a winning record, I'm comfortable letting this staff ride for at least one more afterwards. This is far from the lame duck scenario I envisioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom