New WR Coach: Michael Johnson | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New WR Coach: Michael Johnson

I think the biggest reason for the change in philosophy is to make sure SU isn’t left out in the next round of realignment. I read an article this morning about ND looking at Harris in the portal and the ND official states that SU invests very little in its football program. True or not it’s a perception.
Where was this article?

Sounds like he and Dino will get along well. Quote from an article above.

“He wants his players' shirts tucked in. He wants their jewelry taken out. He wants them sitting up straight with pencils and paper at their disposal during film sessions. He wants them to answer questions. He wants them to ask questions, too.”

Of the big 3 men's teams - two programs have just completely revamped. The changes this off season have been really exciting. Dino isn't going down without a fight.
JW has revamped two sports coaching staffs very well, and hasn’t paid a dime for a search firm or buyout $, or had to go outside the university for a new head coach.

Impressive imo.

Last edited:
I wonder if the SU administration and ADJW have adopted a form of moneyball for college football. Instead of paying Dino millions of dollars in a buyout, it’s financially savvy to pay a modest financial premium for highly qualified coordinators and position coaches.

I think they can realize a greater tangible benefit with highly qualified coordinators than paying a buyout of the current HC and multi-million dollar premium for an experienced replacement head coach.
That’s apart of it for sure. I also think if you believe in the HC and he’s saying “look at our peers - how can you expect the same results when we’re not doing what they are?”

It’s easier to support a guy you believe in. If you think Dino is the problem, you don’t give him better, more expensive tools. If you think “we can support him better” - that’s what you do.

2947CBC0-BDA3-46A5-9FDA-199BE5E91D05.jpeg

Great hire. Can’t ask for a better off season. Can’t question if the school is serious about FB. Too much experience to think we won’t be better. There’s not a thing to dislike since SU decided to stick with DB. This is how a program improves. Can’t wait for the fall.

I wonder if the SU administration and ADJW have adopted a form of moneyball for college football. Instead of paying Dino millions of dollars in a buyout, it’s financially savvy to pay a modest financial premium for highly qualified coordinators and position coaches.

I think they can realize a greater tangible benefit with highly qualified coordinators than paying a buyout of the current HC and multi-million dollar premium for an experienced replacement head coach.
I wonder if Dino gave up a little moolah to help pay for these staff upgrades.

No kidding -- regardless of how he performed at that level, this guy was an OC in the NFL?

His coaching acumen probably shouldn't be questioned.
Really. A precipitous fall might mean otherwise. That said, I want to trust this is a another great offseason hire.

It really is. And the number on the paper (checks) is probably higher than it's ever been. Showing that we're serious about competing.

Might be some early bumps, as you'd see with any new coordinators/position coaches trying to get the kids acclimated. But we'll see this start to pay off in 2022.
Would guess our budget for assistant coaches went up by somewhere in the 35-50% range since last season.

Anae and Beck had to be expensive to bring on board. Monroe and Schmidt also got promotions and presumably raises as well. Add in Johnson and wow, you have to be impressed by the work JW has been able to do to get all these coaches on the staff.

Bottom line is, if you want to win, you need to spend some money.

Looks like a victim of circumstance with his short stints...he got caught up in a lot of Head Coaches being fired or leaving when he'd just been brought in.

*2010 49rs fired Singletary (19-22 over 3 yrs). Johnson was the OC at the time (2nd yr, 1st as OC). Not retained by Harbaugh. This was assuredly performance based.
*2011 his first year at UCLA. Neuheisal fired that same season in yr 4. Johnson tabbed interim HC for one game. Not retained.
*2014-16 HS head coach (son played)
*2017/18 hired by Taggart at Oregon. Taggart leaves on his own. Johnson retained by Cristobal.
*2019 Johnson leaves on his own to take Miss St WR job under Moorehead. Moorehead fired after 1 year.

In his 3 NFL stints he was promoted. WR to QBs. QB to OC.

Doesn't bode well for Dino!

Would guess our budget for assistant coaches went up by somewhere in the 35-50% range since last season.

Anae and Beck had to be expensive to bring on board. Monroe and Schmidt also got promotions and presumably raises as well. Add in Johnson and wow, you have to be impressed by the work JW has been able to do to get all these coaches on the staff.

Bottom line is, if you want to win, you need to spend some money.
It’s all about investing. You need to pump capital into any investment prior to seeing any return. I love what JW did this off season

Really. A precipitous fall might mean otherwise. That said, I want to trust this is a another great offseason hire.

What precipitous fall? He coached with Taggert at Oregon, followed him to FAU -- and the ability to coach his 4-star son at FAU probably factored in to his decision to do so [per the article].

JW has revamped two sports coaching staffs very well, and hasn’t paid a dime for a search firm or buyout $, or had to go outside the university for a new head coach.

Impressive imo.
John has to be the most well connected AD in the country. He knows everyone. Good to see this paying off...

What precipitous fall? He coached with Taggert at Oregon, followed him to FAU -- and the ability to coach his 4-star son at FAU probably factored in to his decision to do so [per the article].

and before FAU was retained by Cristobal at Oregon then chose to leave to coach WRs in the SEC. Not a bad fall.

Impressive how the program has shot the lock off their wallet and invested in quality coaching hires this off season. I believe this happens by being a member of the ACC and taking advantage of financial redistribution from attendance, TV and the ACCN. Wouldn't have been able to afford these coaches if we didn't move into a P5 league. Love it. Success breeds success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom