Next Coach - Age? | Syracusefan.com

Next Coach - Age?

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Lots of suggestions about who should be hired or groomed to replace JB. Boeheim just turned 76 and is the oldest active head coach. Many here are ready to move on because they believe that JB is too old. Mike Hopkins is not young, he's 50 already.

Do you expect the next hire to be here 5, 10, 20 years? I'm not looking for someone to come in for 5 years or less. I want someone that if he works out, can stay for a long time. One question I have for everyone is how old is too old for the hire that replaces JB?

I've seen Bruce Pearl's name thrown out, he's 60 or will be by the end of this season. To me, he's too old.
Rick Pitino is 67.
Leonard Hamilton is 71.
Mark Few will be 57 by the end of the month. With no history with our program, I think he's too old.
Jamie Dixon just turned 54.

What's too old for us to be wasting time with?

Whatever circumstances occur such that Billy Donovan is our next HC.

He's 54. I could deal with him at 54, although Ray Donovan may be more appropriate the way this season is going.

It's not about age. It's who has the passion, connects well with, and motivates the players. Someone with plenty of integrity. And of course the person who can recruit players with great talent and character. That's who I want to be the next coach, regardless of age.

agree with above. problem with jb is not his age. it's that he's grown stubborn and stale. we need someone to breathe new life and excitement back into this program. we have great facilities. we play in a top conference and we have great fans. but those fans have grown tired of being served the same tired dish every night.
next hire needs to be somebody willing to bring some flash and excitement back to the dome.

Hop is getting the first call just a FYI everyone...if he turns it down, it goes national with Red having the opportunity

Hop is getting the first call just a FYI everyone...if he turns it down, it goes national with Red having the opportunity

If we go 12-20, I can’t see Red having the opportunity - even if the problems with the program that led to that 12-20 had zero to do with him. Hard to justify promoting an assistant from a bad program(Which to be frank - that’s exactly what we’d be if we’re 12-20) from a PR perspective.

My two cents... the next HC after JB has an extremely high likelihood of looking for a new job after 3 years. So to me it’s not about age... it’s who will manage that transition period between JB and the next long term hc. Given that, I would go after a veteran coach... A young up and comer would suffer too much damage if he flames out after three years here.

ideally you let Autry have 3 years to prove himself.

Age is irrelevant. Having the same coach for 40+ years is an extreme rarity and it’s not even a thought. You hire the best coach you can get. Power basketball programs are bigger than the coach.

Roy Williams was not young when he want to UNC. And when he retires, UNC will hire another good coach.

Kansas didn’t die when Williams left. Self also is not going to be there for 45 years. Williams wasn’t there for 45 years. Arizona didn’t die when Lute left.

Hire the best guy we can get. And when he’s gone, whether that’s in 5 years or 20 years...do it again.

If we go 12-20, I can’t see Red having the opportunity - even if the problems with the program that led to that 12-20 had zero to do with him. Hard to justify promoting an assistant from a bad program(Which to be frank - that’s exactly what we’d be if we’re 12-20) from a PR perspective.
He may not get it but he will have a real shot. AD knows who has been the real recruiter for the team

The choices seem to be:

1. All in the Family — Autry (eh) or GMac (ugh)

2. Older established coach looking for a 4 - 6 year career capstone to rebuild program credibility (and hopefully with young assts to energize tempo, toughness and recruiting)

3. Youngish up and comer HC either looking for 10+ yr destination job or truly good enough to move on to a blue blood in 5 years ( because natty)

4. Hop, but it feels like he wants to build sustained success at UW for another 6 or 7 years...at which point he is at capstone age.

So my long winded answer to OP...58 - 60 is tops for #2 above for my liking.

i'll give red and gerry the same advice i gave to hopkins 15 yrs ago. go someplace else . get your own gig and prove you can HC and recruit on your own terms. then we'll talk.

Last edited:
Real recruiter for the guys who can’t compete with Penn State? Who cares?

Red has done great with what he has to work with. Usually assistants dont have to close every recruit...

Red has done great with what he has to work with. Usually assistants dont have to close every recruit...

Im not saying it’s his fault.

Just looking at it from a big picture “perception” perspective - which may not be fair, but let’s face it - it’s likely a factor. PR is a big part of all this stuff.

If it’s Red after what is a bad season that is not going to sell to fans. Hop at least would. We need to go a different direction. He’s brought in decent talent, but nowhere near what Hop and Troy Weaver used to bring in.

Real recruiter for the guys who can’t compete with Penn State? Who cares?
Reds always in it and has more connections than most realize. It’s hard to land everyone especially with some of the negative recruiting targets we have on our backs right now. If we pass on Red it better only be because Hop is the HC. Red would be a HUUUUUUGE loss

Hop, Nate oats, Chris beard, Chris Holtman, Ed Cooley are some guys I would look at

Reds always in it and has more connections than most realize. It’s hard to land everyone especially with some of the negative recruiting targets we have on our backs right now. If we pass on Red it better only be because Hop is the HC. Red would be a HUUUUUUGE loss

Would be interested to know who Red would bring in for his staff to replace his Assistant spot, what his philosophy would be offensively/defensively, etc.

I loved Red as a player and think he seems like a solid guy. In a perfect world we’re coming off a 2009-2014 run and then he takes over...I think most would be good with that. It’s a tough sell to the casual fan if the program stinks. Maybe Wildhack decides that doesn’t matter and knows he can get the job done when he’s the head guy and goes for it anyway. He starts landing top recruits and the on court play improves, and casuals get converted real quick. WI’ll be interesting to see what happens. I’m kinda ready to find out now, not in 2022.

Is there any real chance that Hop would come back? If so anyone that cares about JB should want him to retire. He’s been so good to SU... and to remain the coach further will be devastating to the memories of what he has achieved, I want him to retire because I care about Him and hope others that care can influence him to go out with respect of our fans and followers.

Is there any real chance that Hop would come back? If so anyone that cares about JB should want him to retire. He’s been so good to SU... and to remain the coach further will be devastating to the memories of what he has achieved, I want him to retire because I care about Him and hope others that care can influence him to go out with respect of our fans and followers.

Only Hop truly knows.

Just looking at it from the outside: I don’t see why there wouldn’t be a chance. He played here, coached here for 25 years - he obviously likes it here. Major program that’s always considered a top 10-15 coaching job in college hoops whenever those lists are put out. I don’t see why he wouldn’t at least be interested.

Exactly what I think. If the program really goes down, I think the question of promoting from within will answer itself.

i'll give red and gerry the same advice i gave to hopkins 15 yrs ago. go someplace else . get your own gig and prove you can HC and recruit on your own terms. then we'll talk.
1575243079161.png
;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom