Next Coach When Boeheim Retires | Syracusefan.com

Next Coach When Boeheim Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Here is a list of interesting candidates. I welcome more suggestions. We have to remember that we're talking 2 or 3 years away from contacting someone, but these are guys worth keeping an eye on, if I'm the AD.

Ryan Odom, UMBC

The son of Wake Forest coach Dave Odom turned UMBC around in just two years, beating Virginia in the first round to become the first No. 16 seed to upset a No. 1 in NCAA Tournament history. Odom turned down a couple mid-majors after the win over Virginia, and should remain a hot name this coming offseason.
Record: 46-24 (2 seasons), one NCAA Tournament appearance

Nate Oats, Buffalo

After spending two seasons as Bobby Hurley’s assistant, Oats was elevated and has compiled a 64-39 mark, taking the Bulls to a pair of NCAA Tournaments. UB will be favored to win the MAC this season.
Record: 64-39 (3 seasons), two NCAA Tournament appearances

Eric Musselman, Nevada

Musselman was an NBA head coach at a young age. He coached at Arizona State as head coach and LSU as an assistant. This should be the third consecutive trip for Musselman to the NCAA Tournament. He has put together a terrific team at Nevada, but he seems a little old to me, when you consider this move is about 3 year away.
Record: 81-29 (3 seasons), two NCAA Tournament appearances

Earl Grant, College of Charleston

Grant led them to an NIT appearance in 2017, and the Cougars went 26-8 and 14-4 in league play and won the conference tourney last season. This was a strong mid-major who were in terrible shape when he took over. So far, he's done a great job.
Record: 77-56 (4 seasons), 1 NCAA Tournament appearance

John Becker, Vermont

Becker has gotten some looks from other schools, but he’s still vastly underrated. His resume in seven seasons includes two NCAA berths, a pair of NIT’s and a trio of CBIs. The Catamounts have finished in the top two of the America East in six of his seven seasons at the helm. Might be a little old in a few years.
Career Record: 166-77 (7 seasons), 2 NCAA Tournament appearances

Nathan Davis, Bucknell

Davis led the Bison to the NCAA tourney in two of his three seasons since taking over in 2015. Over the last two years, Bucknell is 51-19 overall and 31-5 in Patriot League play. I’m not sure where Davis lands, but he should be sought-after with his accomplishments. This guy is worth keeping an eye on.
Career Record: 68-33 (3 seasons), 2 NCAA Tournament appearances

I thought I read somewhere- maybe on the board - that Musselman was a top target for UCLA. Those other names haven't been on my radar but some to keep an eye on.

I feel like if you are going with someone 46-50+ years old he’d better be truly established, not a few successful seasons at a mid major.

I’d be more amenable to taking a risk with a younger guy who has minimal head coaching experience or good high level assistant experience as long as he is a proven recruiter. The last few years have taught us that SU doesn’t recruit itself and great recruiting can mask less than great tactical skills.

Here is an interesting question. What would your goal be for the length of the next coach’s tenure? Obviously is isn’t going to be 40+ years, but if you are hoping for a 20 year run you probably need to stop looking at guys that are already 45 or older.

Last edited:
Hmm, forget these mid majors for a moment. I’m going to take a look at the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, and Big East. This is a top 10 college hoops job.

Maybe. I don't want to be considered anybody's lateral move.

Alright...Will Wade and Matt Painter...very nice work at those mediocre power 5 schools. Either of you interested in taking things up a notch?

I feel like if you are going with someone 46-50+ years old he’d better be truly established, not a few successful seasons at a mid major.

I’d be more amenable to taking a risk with a younger guy who has minimal head coaching experience or good high level assistant experience as long as he is a proven recruiter. The last few years have taught us that SU doesn’t recruit itself and great recruiting can mask less than great tactical skills.

I think a guy from a mid-major who has paid his dues as an assistant at a couple spots under some good head coaches is a good way for someone to prepare for a very good P5 job.

I don't want a guy in his 30s who is just starting out. I want a guy who has some miles on the tires, but plenty of tread left to go.

Dino didn't get his chance until he had been an assistant for 20 years. But then when he got his chance, boy was he prepared. He killed it at his first 2 jobs before coming to Syracuse. That's exactly the profile of guy I want to hire to replace JB.

Alright...Will Wade and Matt Painter...very nice work at those mediocre power 5 schools. Either of you interested in taking things up a notch?

I like what Matt Painter has done so far. He has recruited some very good players for mid-level Big 10 team. His team was won 2 or 3 league championships and does fairly well in the NCAA. He might be a 2nd or 3rd choice, but is very solid.

Will Wade has done a very nice job so far. He is young enough. He might be too "southern" but he gets it done. This is his third head coaching job already and he was won everywhere so far.

Fred Hoiberg is not coaching atm. As far as an unpopular suggestion i'll go Bruce Pearl. His ncaa violation was lying about inviting aaron craft to a BBQ. He made auburn good...

I don’t take any of these lists seriously unless Billy Donovan or Jay Wright are on them.

All jokes aside I think there should be an ongoing thread like this that discusses the up and coming mid major coaches.

IMO they won't. Billy should he ever decide he wants to coach CBB again will want a lot of $. As far as Wright is concerned you could argue at the moment he has Nova on a fantastic trajectory and again Cuse would have to pony up probably too much to make him even consider it.

They both would want at least 3.5-4m annually

If these are the choices we’ve failed miserably.

My list would be pretty short right now. Hop, Red, Tony Bennett, Chris Mack. Jay Wright’s a fancy now. Maybe someone from the K tree.

Keep an eye on Jamion Christian at Siena. Did well at Mount St Mary’s, and early on is looking like he can turn around the Saints like Fran McCaffery did about a decade ago. 2-3 years is a stretch, if we were talking 4-5 years I’d feel more confident he’d be an option - but wouldn’t discount him now.

The last few years have taught us that SU doesn’t recruit itself and great recruiting can mask less than great tactical skills.
SU is a destination school and will do just fine bringing in talent as long as the new coach doesn’t try to be like Virginia or Wisconsin. I think you’re underestimating how unappealing the current culture and system has become without the counterbalance of Hop.

Hop comes back. Can’t imagine someone other than him or jb coaching the cuse.

Everything I've read, his comments, his personality, I just don't see him leaving Washington unless it's something like a UCLA. He's such a loyal guy that I can't imagine seeing him leave kids he recruited as a head coach, hell it took him years to leave Syracuse as an assistant.

My list would be pretty short right now. Hop, Red, Tony Bennett, Chris Mack. Jay Wright’s a fancy now. Maybe someone from the K tree.

Outside of Red I don't think any of those guys come here. For Mack and Bennett they would almost be lateral moves, Wright just won two titles at a place he's been at forever and is getting paid at, don't see why he'd come.

Realistically I'm guessing that list is closer to what we get than the list of Bennett, Mack and Wright.

I don’t take any of these lists seriously unless Billy Donovan or Jay Wright are on them.

All jokes aside I think there should be an ongoing thread like this that discusses the up and coming mid major coaches.

That's a good idea. I second the motion. The mods should pin a post at the top to talk about up-and-coming mid-major coaches.

First, SU will not outbid someone for a name coach. Not happening.
Second - SU needs to find the next Dino. Pressing, ballin' and shot callin'. The current offense and defense is the biggest buzzkill in college basketball right now. The defense just sits there. It creates few if any turnovers or FB opportunities.

Chris Mack just got his job at Louisville. I can't imagine he would leave there for Syracuse unless he crapped out and got fired. They match us in attendance. They match us in history.

That is one of maybe 10-15 jobs that I would consider a true lateral move if we were trying to get them to SU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom