Next Coach When Boeheim Retires | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next Coach When Boeheim Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t agree that the next coach needs to “press”. How many guys have really had long term success full court pressing all the time? It’s a change the tempo defense.

I would welcome an emphasis on running off rebounds and being able to score in the halfcourt though.

Dino F. Babers
This is supposed to be funny, but in all honesty...

If anyone has ever spent even 5 minutes in a room with this guy, they know he could head up a construction crew and build the greatest house ever and in record time. No joke.

That being said, probably should get a specific guy just for basketball only I guess. :)

I foresee that Buddy leads the team to back-to-back championships his junior & senior year, JB mentors Buddy for 3 years, then Buddy takes over for a 50 year career as SU head coach, retiring with a 1546 - 483 lifetime record. The record Syracusefan.com thread "next coach when Boeheim retires" is also retired with 3,746,319,835,258 posts...

I would be shocked if we went with a mid major head coach. The Syracuse basketball program is on a different level than the football program. The Syracuse job is easily the best in the Northeast We have the biggest fan base, we have an unbelievable tradition and are in the best conference in the country.

The development of Dino into a highly respected P5 HC is good for basketball. That extension he signed helps to set the standard by which the next basketball HC will be paid. We shouldn’t have the sticker shock we might have had a couple of years ago.

According to this list from November of 2018, JB is not one of the top 27 highest paid coaches, but it was poorly researched and missed JB, who the PS reported was paid $2.7 million in 2016. So JB is at least 20th and I suspect he might have been given a bump recently when Dino got his big raise.

The 27 Highest-Paid College Basketball Coaches in 2018

Syracuse provides 1st look at Dino Babers' salary; Jim Boeheim's pay goes up

There is going to be a lot of pressure on the next SU basketball HC. There are lots of seats (hopefully individual ones) that need to be filled, there will be plenty of money to spend and JW has shown he is willing to pay the market rate to have a top staff. I think we bring on someone with a big personality, who has won consistently, has strong recruiting experience in the Northeast and has coached and won at/or near the P5 level.

Who might that be? I don’t know. We still have 3 years to find him but I think that is the profile.

I guarantee that JW has a list and has been gathering info for it almost from the day he was hired.

Buzz

Beilein if he goes somewhere else first

Prohm if he does well
Beilien is almost JBs age and he is at a better program at this point in time so Syracuse would at the very best be a lateral move. The time to grab him was when he was with the couch burners.

If we wanted to go for a really young coach i would take his son who is hc at LeMoyne.

I'm betting its Gmac. Reason: SU loves to hire it alums. It will want a coach who will stay here for a long time (if he is successful) and Gmac fits that category. If you hire outside and that coach has success he will always be prone to leaving for a bigger playing program. SU will not want to have mutiple HCs over over 10-15 -20 years. Plus Gmac will come cheaper ($$$) initially. Now this doesn't mean that's my suggestion, but SU looks very fondly on hiring its alums and Gmac is a legend in the BB program. Plus Boeheim will have an influence on the next HC decision.

They do? Was Mac an alum? Was P? Was Shaffer? Marrone yes. Dino no.

JB has been at the helm for over 4 decades! So, SU hasn't hired an alum in that position since. Hiring alums as assistants is not the same as hiring alums for the head gig. Now, I'm not saying Red or GMac won't end up getting it, but to say SU loves to hire alums (in regards to its 2 revenue sports) is truly not the case.

With SU's stature, facilities, ACC money, etc., I don't think money will be the issue at all in the next hire as much as maintaining its place as a premier/elite basketball school and its renowned brand.

I like Painter.

th

I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do? Was Mac an alum? Was P? Was Shaffer? Marrone yes. Dino no.

JB has been at the helm for over 4 decades! So, SU hasn't hired an alum in that position since. Hiring alums as assistants is not the same as hiring alums for the head gig. Now, I'm not saying Red or GMac won't end up getting it, but to say SU loves to hire alums (in regards to its 2 revenue sports) is truly not the case.

With SU's stature, facilities, ACC money, etc., I don't think money will be the issue at all in the next hire as much as maintaining its place as a premier/elite basketball school and its renowned brand.

Desko?

Yes!

Beilien is almost JBs age and he is at a better program at this point in time so Syracuse would at the very best be a lateral move. The time to grab him was when he was with the couch burners.

If we wanted to go for a really young coach i would take his son who is hc at LeMoyne.

I think he was referring to the younger Beilien.

Mick Cronin

Cronin is an underrated coach who likely would like to get out of the hell which is the AAC. At 47, he's got a lot of good years ahead of him. He has had some health issues. I'd be in if it went that way.

Cronin is an underrated coach who likely would like to get out of the hell which is the AAC. At 47, he's got a lot of good years ahead of him. He has had some health issues. I'd be in if it went that way.
Reminds me of Jeff Van Gundy. Real feisty.

Patrick Beilein
Chris Collins
Adrian Autry
Steve Wojo

Brad Stevens if he is available

When it comes time to retire JBs advice will be as a courtesy contemplated and that will be demonstrated in some courtesy interviews of Red and maybe Mac. That’s it. JW has the reigns and no one but the Chancellor will trump his decision. Hop will get a courtesy call as well but I would be surprised if he said yes. Sometimes men and women want to make their own names and while Hop would have coached at Cuse years ago, I don’t think he has interest now. He is on his own path now.
Also I could see Jim recommending names outside the program as well. Truely if either of those two Cuse assistants wanted HC they would be looking at opportunities to HC at a smaller school to start that experience process. Names that could be on the list John Brannen Northern Kentucky, Leon Rice Boise, Nathen Davis Bucknell and Eric Musselmen Nevada. My Wild card reach bet is on Sean Miller. Fresh start, Carrier dome, great recruiter...

Reminds me of Jeff Van Gundy. Real feisty.
Good recruiter (assuming no Shenanigans), and has had Cincy performing at a high level. Lots of explosive force in a small package .. like C4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom