Next Coach When Boeheim Retires | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next Coach When Boeheim Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Mack just got his job at Louisville. I can't imagine he would leave there for Syracuse unless he crapped out and got fired. They match us in attendance. They match us in history.

That is one of maybe 10-15 jobs that I would consider a true lateral move if we were trying to get them to SU.
Plus his wife is from Louisville so there is no way he will leave voluntarily

IMO they won't. Billy should he ever decide he wants to coach CBB again will want a lot of $. As far as Wright is concerned you could argue at the moment he has Nova on a fantastic trajectory and again Cuse would have to pony up probably too much to make him even consider it.

They both would want at least 3.5-4m annually

I think that everyone should realize we are not getting somebody who is already elite at another school. That's not happening. Talking about stuff like that is a true waste of time, even for people throwing wild guesses at who we hire in a few years.

Anybody who has already built an elite program - and yes, that includes Villanova despite them being "only" in the Big East - they aren't leaving for Syracuse, unless they've gone to the NBA and flamed out, or they've been fired from a roughly comparable job, in which case we should say, "Why are we hiring this guy?"

We aren't going to promote an untested assistant, if we have any sense. I can't imagine the university being that cheap, to be honest.

We don't have the money to hire the HUGE names, so we should hopefully be looking at an up-and-comer who we can potentially keep for 10+ years if they are successful.

I feel like if you are going with someone 46-50+ years old he’d better be truly established, not a few successful seasons at a mid major.

I’d be more amenable to taking a risk with a younger guy who has minimal head coaching experience or good high level assistant experience as long as he is a proven recruiter. The last few years have taught us that SU doesn’t recruit itself and great recruiting can mask less than great tactical skills.

Here is an interesting question. What would your goal be for the length of the next coach’s tenure? Obviously is isn’t going to be 40+ years, but if you are hoping for a 20 year run you probably need to stop looking at guys that are already 45 or older.

I think a realistic time frame is 10 years. If the guy is successful, you hope to get 10 years out of him. (Like Dino - this could be his last job.) We could be a younger guy's last or next-to-last job. But I don't think you hire someone thinking about 20 years from now. It's just too long to take realistically.

First, SU will not outbid someone for a name coach. Not happening.
Second - SU needs to find the next Dino. Pressing, ballin' and shot callin'. The current offense and defense is the biggest buzzkill in college basketball right now. The defense just sits there. It creates few if any turnovers or FB opportunities.

Yeah, we used to be the funkiest team in the land.
We were Phi Slamma Jamma East (and beat them, too).
We need to get back to a team that runs and guns, and is fun to watch.

If these are the choices we’ve failed miserably.

My list would be pretty short right now. Hop, Red, Tony Bennett, Chris Mack. Jay Wright’s a fancy now. Maybe someone from the K tree.

Yeah, I don't think any of those guys is a realistic choice.

Chris Mack would still have to be at Xavier, with us being his next move instead of Louisville. That would be a great choice - that kind of coach, someone established just outside the top tier.

Tony Bennett plays ugly, ugly basketball. He's great for them, but no thanks.

Hop isn't coming back. Any of our assistants need to go get a head coaching job first.

This job shouldn't go to anyone who hasn't been a head coach before. Too much is at stake to hire another Gerg, or another Scott Shafer.

We can dispense with the Jay Wright talk. Absolute fing pipe dream.

A move to SU would be a bad move for him basketball wise. Why leave a school where he’s established his style, is beloved, where he has won two National Championships and basketball is top dog in the Athletic Department to come to a program that would have to be rebuilt to reach the level he’s at now at Nova and where he will be 1a to football?

Not to mention that both he and his wife are from and attended high school in the suburbs of Philadelphia.

He is already making at least $2.6 million and he is in a major city with much greater opportunity for endorsements and other income streams. His profile is already high enough with the two Nattys and the GQ Jay image that a move to SU or the ACC isn’t helping there.

The only place I see Jay leaving Nova for is the NBA and I don’t see that as a high likelihood unless he gets bored at the college level.

Alright...Will Wade and Matt Painter...very nice work at those mediocre power 5 schools. Either of you interested in taking things up a notch?
No on Painter he looks like he'd be a Cuckold.

Keep an eye on Jamion Christian at Siena. Did well at Mount St Mary’s, and early on is looking like he can turn around the Saints like Fran McCaffery did about a decade ago. 2-3 years is a stretch, if we were talking 4-5 years I’d feel more confident he’d be an option - but wouldn’t discount him now.

Jamion would be able to RECRUIT to Syracuse. That's the bottom line. Need someone who can get talent and move the needle in terms of NBA players. We have had draft picks, sure, but how many have stuck?

IMO they won't. Billy should he ever decide he wants to coach CBB again will want a lot of $. As far as Wright is concerned you could argue at the moment he has Nova on a fantastic trajectory and again Cuse would have to pony up probably too much to make him even consider it.

They both would want at least 3.5-4m annually
And Cuse had better open up that moth laden purse and pay! Id take Eddie Munster for sure

Things I think regarding the next head coach:

1). People expecting it to be Hop will be very disappointed. I do, however, look forward to the thread discussing the lucrative, long term extension from U-Dub when we’re in search mode.

2) People expecting a “name” coach are almost certain to be disappointed. You typically get a name coach when it’s got alma mater pull - nobody fits that bill. But IMHO hiring a name coach is about winning the press conference, so not getting a name coach will not bother me at all.

3). People that want GMAC as the next head coach should be in therapy at minimum, possibly institutionalized.

4). If/when we hire an up-and coming mid-major coach, many fans will freak out. If we get the hire right, nobody will remember that five years into his coaching tenure.

Things I think regarding the next head coach:

1). People expecting it to be Hop will be very disappointed. I do, however, look forward to the thread discussing the lucrative, long term extension from U-Dub when we’re in search mode.

2) People expecting a “name” coach are almost certain to be disappointed. You typically get a name coach when it’s got alma mater pull - nobody fits that bill. But IMHO hiring a name coach is about winning the press conference, so not getting a name coach will not bother me at all.

3). People that want GMAC as the next head coach should be in therapy at minimum, possibly institutionalized.

4). If/when we hire an up-and coming mid-major coach, many fans will freak out. If we get the hire right, nobody will remember that five years into his coaching tenure.

Think you nailed it.

Supposedly JB got a raise up to 3 million his last extension. That would put his salary at 12th in the country and the same as Tony Bennett.

Not sure why people think we wouldn’t pay because recent history shows we have. That was past administrations. If JB is making 3miion and we paid 4 million to keep Dino this administration seems to be much more liberal paying coaches than previous ones.

Red Autry ... (1) JB will use his influence to push him.
(2) His bargain price will be right for the Board.

This is not who I want but it's who I think we get ... until the performance of the program forces the admin to look elsewhere and spend more.

I'm betting its Gmac. Reason: SU loves to hire it alums. It will want a coach who will stay here for a long time (if he is successful) and Gmac fits that category. If you hire outside and that coach has success he will always be prone to leaving for a bigger playing program. SU will not want to have mutiple HCs over over 10-15 -20 years. Plus Gmac will come cheaper ($$$) initially. Now this doesn't mean that's my suggestion, but SU looks very fondly on hiring its alums and Gmac is a legend in the BB program. Plus Boeheim will have an influence on the next HC decision.

Red Autry ... (1) JB will use his influence to push him.
(2) His bargain price will be right for the Board.

This is not who I want but it's who I think we get ... until the performance of the program forces the admin to look elsewhere and spend more.

I’d be fine with Red...because it likely means we win the National championship in the next three years.

Continuity hires require you have results you’d like to see continue. If we’re a bubble team in JBs final years, hiring Red would be “going out of your way to lose the press conference”. And I think it’d lose the press conference unless there’s goodwill from a national championship.

Keep an eye on Jamion Christian at Siena. Did well at Mount St Mary’s, and early on is looking like he can turn around the Saints like Fran McCaffery did about a decade ago. 2-3 years is a stretch, if we were talking 4-5 years I’d feel more confident he’d be an option - but wouldn’t discount him now.
Run n Gun

Woj unless he's the heir apparent for K.
I have a feeling if K dropped dead on the blue circle in Cameron on live TV that Wojo would walk right off his own court in the middle of a jump shot for an executive charter to Durham. Drops clip board to assistant...”OUT”.

That's a good list that you have complied. Personally I don't like Musselman cuz I thought he carried on like a richard last year after some of those tournament wins. Embarrassing. Show some class dude.

First, SU will not outbid someone for a name coach. Not happening.
Second - SU needs to find the next Dino. Pressing, ballin' and shot callin'. The current offense and defense is the biggest buzzkill in college basketball right now. The defense just sits there. It creates few if any turnovers or FB opportunities.
exactly. The system is just as important as the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom