Next Season... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next Season...

It's not creating a shot if you're just chucking the ball up driving through the lane or shooting with somebody in your face.

He isn't creating shots, he's taking bad shots.

I suppose you have a point. But Dolejaz and Moyer can't blow by anyone and OB can get by his defender... albeit he doesn't make his shots nearly enough.

I’m sure you’ve seen most if not all the games this year. Many many games Frank has had no trouble getting into the lane. That’s how he gets up so many floaters in the lane, or dumping the ball to a big who makes it or usually misses. It get progressively more difficult as teams pack it in more and more as we show we can’t shoot from outside.

You mean Tyus? Frank has steadily more and more as ACC has progressed pretty much just been dribbling side to side. I think it is a rarity for him to get by anybody these days. Even the Pitt games. Mostly he takes pull-ups and contested threes but he’s tall so he can get away with it. I’ve barely seen him in ACC make a play in the lane for himself or somebody else and when it does occur it is usually a turnover. Sometimes not his fault, granted. I don’t understand this being some ‘hot take’ or anything. It’s what is happening every damn game.

lol What is a message board for? Just dumping on the coach or a pt guard?
look if i say we missed the tourney last year , that's a fact . if i say we'll miss the tourney this year that's speculation. (though grounded in some reality given current circumstances). if i say we'd be top ten with so and so that's total speculation . if i say next year we'll be top ten again speculation. i've no problem with people speculating . but please don't present your premises as facts.

Not just dumping on him but rooting against him.
Its unbelievable. It happens every year.

Franks not only improved his game but has matured and developed into a team player and a leader

What do our fans do? Label his success with inconsistency and howl at his mistakes every provided opportunity

Our fans on here are pretty chill compared to almost every other message board I've ever read.

Our fans are also pretty incredible. The team is as bad as it's ever been for most of our lives, coming off a non-tourney year last year, yet we got 27k yesterday and made up 35-40% of the attendance in ATL.

I'm a fan of Frank but we need CP3 out there to make this team look functional and Frank is barely a CP1.

look if i say we missed the tourney last year , that's a fact . if i say we'll miss the tourney this year that's speculation. (though grounded in some reality given current circumstances). if i say we'd be top ten with so and so that's total speculation . if i say next year we'll be top ten again speculation. i've no problem with people speculating . but please don't present your premises as facts.
lol Opinions are treated as facts on this message board.

Frank took a step forward this season, and I think he has another (small) level of potential. And he'll have to react to the challenge of Carey's talent, more than Washington or TheGuyWhoLeft.

Similarly, Brissett will benefit from playing with/against Bazeley in practice. Oshae will be better next year. He needs to learn not every shot has to be either a Three or a crash-into-two defenders layup. His outside shot will improve and that will benefit his drives. Carey getting him the ball in better situations will help. Hughes getting out on the break will help. Fewer possessions ending in a drained shot clock and a desperation move+heave will help everyone.

Bazeley is nice. But a lot of what he does in HS won't work at the acc level. He needs strength and he will make some of Brissett's mistakes. Luckily, Bazeley is really versatile, so he'll help in multiple areas.

JB has to evolve. If he relies on a talent bump alone, we'll be improved, but still not enough to be any kind of a force. Bazeley will be here for only one year, so hay has to be made.

Someone said we need to 'give JB one more year, with Carey and Bazeley' instead of 'evaluating this year.' But it won't be just one more year. It's the length of his son's SU career, and if we don't develop offensively, I see us mired in the middle and back end of the conference for a long time.

He will and it's not a good thing.

If he had CJ and Southerland, then things would be different. You can't fault him for having to do things he can't because no one else can! Everyone tells me we'll have two forwards who can shoot and pass. That will make a world of difference...

Its unbelievable. It happens every year.

Franks not only improved his game but has matured and developed into a team player and a leader

What do our fans do? Label his success with inconsistency and howl at his mistakes every provided opportunity

He's improved his shooting. He's cut down on his turnovers in recent games. Currently he's not an elite ACC PG or even close to that. His numbers are boosted by the minutes he plays but his supporting cast is not helping. It makes it a tough evaluation. That said, my enthusiasm for next season is dampened by Frank having a big role and almost certainly starting. He's a mediocre athlete. Not much you can do with that.

I don't want to get into the intangibles. This post would be nuked if I did.

Frank took a step forward this season, and I think he has another (small) level of potential. And he'll have to react to the challenge of Carey's talent, more than Washington or TheGuyWhoLeft.

Similarly, Brissett will benefit from playing with/against Bazeley in practice. Oshae will be better next year. He needs to learn not every shot has to be either a Three or a crash-into-two defenders layup. His outside shot will improve and that will benefit his drives. Carey getting him the ball in better situations will help. Hughes getting out on the break will help. Fewer possessions ending in a drained shot clock and a desperation move+heave will help everyone.

Bazeley is nice. But a lot of what he does in HS won't work at the acc level. He needs strength and he will make some of Brissett's mistakes. Luckily, Bazeley is really versatile, so he'll help in multiple areas.

JB has to evolve. If he relies on a talent bump alone, we'll be improved, but still not enough to be any kind of a force. Bazeley will be here for only one year, so hay has to be made.

Someone said we need to 'give JB one more year, with Carey and Bazeley' instead of 'evaluating this year.' But it won't be just one more year. It's the length of his son's SU career, and if we don't develop offensively, I see us mired in the middle and back end of the conference for a long time.
I'm a bit more optimistic about next year than you are. But I am really worried about after that. I hate to say this but I look at Bazley as a lucky recruit. We don't get him if it wasn't a cluster at Ohio state and if Griff didn't come here when he did. You can't live off that type of recruiting. I know I sound like Jor el warning the people of Kypton that the world is going to come apart but we have to get a lot more aggressive on the recruiting road. Stockpile some good players. Or there will be more of this type of year. the sanctions are up for all intent and purposes. The coaches are all back on the road and we are only without 1 ship. Go out and get a Bazley for 18/19!!

He's improved his shooting. He's cut down on his turnovers in recent games. Currently he's not an elite ACC PG or even close to that. His numbers are boosted by the minutes he plays but his supporting cast is not helping. It makes it a tough evaluation. That said, my enthusiasm for next season is dampened by Frank having a big role and almost certainly starting. He's a mediocre athlete. Not much you can do with that.

I think he’s a better athlete than we give him credit. No doubt fatigue’s setting in from playing as much as he does with the ball in his hands as much as it is. Add the press and how active he is at the top of the zone too and its a lot to bare.

He’s not an elite ACC player. But add some more pieces and players around him and i think he’s a quality guard.

I’m sure you’ve seen most if not all the games this year. Many many games Frank has had no trouble getting into the lane. That’s how he gets up so many floaters in the lane, or dumping the ball to a big who makes it or usually misses. It get progressively more difficult as teams pack it in more and more as we show we can’t shoot from outside.

Your last sentence is correct. The rest is not. Frank can't get by anyone. Some of it is not his fault because the floor is not spaced but a lot of it is a lack of handle or foot speed.

don't let your enthusiasm for next year be dampened. We will be good. Frank will be part of a rotation and in that role in will be solid. We will put 4 guys on the floor that can score next year. What a difference that will be. Sometimes even 5.

If neither Carey or Howard are “pure” PG’s, one thing that could help is the potential passing ability of both Bazley and Marek. We’ve seen it out of Marek many times this year, and Bazley has shown it in HS - hopefully it translates to this level. Having two forwards that can pass and make plays for others would be huge - as you figure at least one of them will always be on the court. You look at this year and we just don’t have enough of the bases covered as far as what guys can do out there, which makes us very easy to guard.

Yep, and it would be great to have an actual PG running our offense.

Vince, what intangibles? The kid bleeds orange and loves his team. He's doing everything he possible can. It's not his fault that he has no one at 3 (unless he drives and scores)/4/5 who can do anything on offense.

Everyone should watch the replay of Franks transition dunk last night.

Its very apparent him and tyus are not near 100%, and are toughing it through a lot of fatigue to keep this team afloat.

Everyone should watch the replay of Franks transition dunk last night.

Its very apparent him and tyus are not near 100%, and are toughing it through a lot of fatigue to keep this team afloat.

No one can be 100% and play 40 minutes every game!!!! Again, not their fault...

I think he’s a better athlete than we give him credit. No doubt fatigue’s setting in from playing as much as he does with the ball in his hands as much as it is. Add the press and how active he is at the top of the zone too and its a lot to bare.

He’s not an elite ACC player. But add some more pieces and players around him and i think he’s a quality guard.

His handle is really subpar. He has no gear shift. He can be helpful but not as the primary lead guard and not as a leader. If JB cuts down his minutes significantly (and that's highly unlikely), he can be an effective player in spurts.

What gives you the impression he's a better athlete than we give him credit for? Can you think of one play that showcased this underrated athleticism? When was the last time he soared over someone for a dunk, blew by someone for one? He's got average leaping ability at best. I really don't recall one play where I was wowed by anything he did athletically. Frank has great size for a guard, that helps him on both ends (well, when he decides to get his hands up on defense).

Yesterday De'Andre Hunter made that incredible spinning and-one layup. Now *that* was athletic play. It's been 2+ seasons and I'm still waiting for a wow moment from FH.

If he had CJ and Southerland, then things would be different. You can't fault him for having to do things he can't because no one else can! Everyone tells me we'll have two forwards who can shoot and pass. That will make a world of difference...

Baz is a solid shooter. It's not his strength but he can shoot. Who is the other forward? I'm not sure whom you're referring to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom