Next Season... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Next Season...

Then he could return the money to the department to use for some who needs it...I'm not saying you do agree either.

Let's see how it unfolds. Braedon Bayer was told he's getting a scholarship for this coming season too. We shall see.

little boeheim using up a scholie would piss me off muchly. but i guess a life of privelege has it's privileges .

This would be appalling because: 1) His dad gets his kids free tuition and 2) His family can afford tuition...what absolute crap!

If we wanted to take on extra guys that are not eligible to play next year, then fine but if we have 12 scholarship athletes that are eligible to play, then we don't need Buddy's scholarship. JB can not manage a roster of 13 scholarship level athletes that are all expecting to get playing time. We in fairness I don't think anyone can use 13 guys. I'd give Buddy the scholarship before I would worry about whether Bayer gets another year paid for.

If we wanted to take on extra guys that are not eligible to play next year, then fine but if we have 12 scholarship athletes that are eligible to play, then we don't need Buddy's scholarship. JB can not manage a roster of 13 scholarship level athletes that are all expecting to get playing time. We in fairness I don't think anyone can use 13 guys. I'd give Buddy the scholarship before I would worry about whether Bayer gets another year paid for.

I wouldn't give anyone who has a millionaire parent AND is a University employee (which means his kids get free tuition) a scholarship
that another program or kid could use. That is appalling and selfish...

I wouldn't give anyone who has a millionaire parent AND is a University employee (which means his kids get free tuition) a scholarship
that another program or kid could use. That is appalling and selfish...
Another program?

Yes, another program...We have several who could use the money...
Doesn't work that way. Each sport has its allotted number of scholarships. They can't be transferred from one sport to another.

Doesn't work that way. Each sport has its allotted number of scholarships. They can't be transferred from one sport to another.

Nope...the money could be used for another program. So you think a millionaire coaches kid deserves a free ride when his father already gets him one because he's an employee?

Nope...the money could be used for another program. So you think a millionaire coaches kid deserves a free ride when his father already gets him one because he's an employee?
I obviously don't find it as much of an affront to mankind that you do.

And you're wrong - not using a scholarship in men's hoops doesn't give the women's Field Hockey team another scholarship.

Nope...It would give WFH $260K to use for their program...In any way they need it

I'm a bit more optimistic about next year than you are. But I am really worried about after that. I hate to say this but I look at Bazley as a lucky recruit. We don't get him if it wasn't a cluster at Ohio state and if Griff didn't come here when he did. You can't live off that type of recruiting. I know I sound like Jor el warning the people of Kypton that the world is going to come apart but we have to get a lot more aggressive on the recruiting road. Stockpile some good players. Or there will be more of this type of year. the sanctions are up for all intent and purposes. The coaches are all back on the road and we are only without 1 ship. Go out and get a Bazley for 18/19!!
Completely agree with all of this, except about how 'not optimistic' i am about next year. I'm optimistic enough to think we should be in the top half of the conference. But, even without evaluating what the rest of the league will have, i'm not imagining/expecting a top 3 finish. And as for the NCAAs, no feeling whatsoever. We've shown we can squeak into the field and then run deep. I don't even bother to think about the tournament.

So right about Bazeley. If he had signed with any other program where we didn't have a geographically fortuitous connection, we're in the same position as this year, and probably without Carey, too. Luck is no 'business model,' but let's hope it can be parlayed into more 'real recruits' down the road. Unfortunately, with Boeheim again having an 'expiration date' and with the succession plan entirely a mystery, i'm worried.

After JB... I can't see the AD bringing in an outside guy, who would be likely to bring in all of his own staff—meaning we'd be dumping all of our alum staff in one fell swoop. Hard to imagine that. And yet i have less confidence in any one of our current guys than i had in Hopkins. I really want to see an entirely different approach, in every facet.

Completely agree with all of this, except about how 'not optimistic' i am about next year. I'm optimistic enough to think we should be in the top half of the conference. But, even without evaluating what the rest of the league will have, i'm not imagining/expecting a top 3 finish. And as for the NCAAs, no feeling whatsoever. We've shown we can squeak into the field and then run deep. I don't even bother to think about the tournament.

So right about Bazeley. If he had signed with any other program where we didn't have a geographically fortuitous connection, we're in the same position as this year, and probably without Carey, too. Luck is no 'business model,' but let's hope it can be parlayed into more 'real recruits' down the road. Unfortunately, with Boeheim again having an 'expiration date' and with the succession plan entirely a mystery, i'm worried.

After JB... I can't see the AD bringing in an outside guy, who would be likely to bring in all of his own staff—meaning we'd be dumping all of our alum staff in one fell swoop. Hard to imagine that. And yet i have less confidence in any one of our current guys than i had in Hopkins. I really want to see an entirely different approach, in every facet.
agree with most but i expect a top 3 finish.

do you think we can win the ACC title ? becuz going into a season thinking we can't win it is a rather recent phenomena.
a trend which in my mind is unacceptable for a top tier program.

Last edited:
agree with most but i expect a top 3 finish.

It's way too early to say that. No clue on our roster but Duke will have the top 3 rated players in the '18 class. It's not too early to say we will have deficiencies in certain spots and will roll out the same offensive sets that don't keep teams off-balance.

we need to find players like gillen and white3 when they are frosh not 5th years.

This would be appalling because: 1) His dad gets his kids free tuition and 2) His family can afford tuition...what absolute crap!
If he earned a scholarship, then he should get one. Who cares who his parents are. There’s a lot of players who come from wealthy families and they don’t give up their scholarship. If I read it right, Buddy would not get total free tuitition. It think it’s based on a percentage. Either way, it’s not our decision.

It's way too early to say that. No clue on our roster but Duke will have the top 3 rated players in the '18 class. It's not too early to say we will have deficiencies in certain spots and will roll out the same offensive sets that don't keep teams off-balance.

Don’t we go through this every year though? Duke has had the top recruiting class now 4 years in a row and they’ve won the conference once. The idea is our current guys will be better next year.

If he earned a scholarship, then he should get one. Who cares who his parents are. There’s a lot of players who come from wealthy families and they don’t give up their scholarship. If I read it right, Buddy would not get total free tuitition. It think it’s based on a percentage. Either way, it’s not our decision.

It’s not about our decision. It’s about what right and wrong.

yeah, I think it is entirely possible that Duke finishes in the top 3. But maybe not. Sorry, I think we will be terrific next year.

It’s not about our decision. It’s about what right and wrong.
Why is it wrong if he accepts a scholarship. Maybe JB believes his kids should pay their own way through school. Should the kid be punished?

Why is it wrong if he accepts a scholarship. Maybe JB believes his kids should pay their own way through school. Should the kid be punished?

How is he punished?

It would be ridiculous if Buddy or Bayer is on scholarship next season unless we have some last minute players who leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom