Next Season... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Next Season...

Yesterday De'Andre Hunter made that incredible spinning and-one layup. Now *that* was athletic play. It's been 2+ seasons and I'm still waiting for a wow moment from FH.

i don't think that was continuation. no hoop. but as to frank the low assist numbers fall mainly on his shoulders. point guards create your offense. if you gotta move people move them. dish first score second.

Last edited:
His handle is really subpar. He has not gear shift. He can be helpful but not as the primary lead guard and not as a leader. If JB cuts down his minutes significantly (and that's highly unlikely), he can be an effective player in spurts.

What gives you the impression he's a better athlete than we give him credit for? Can you think of one play that showcased this underrated athleticism? When was the last time he soared over someone for a dunk, blew by someone for one? He's got average leaping ability at best. I really don't recall one play where I was wowed by anything he did athletically. Frank has great size for a guard, that helps him on both ends (well, when he decides to get his hands up on defense).

Yesterday De'Andre Hunter made that incredible spinning and-one layup. Now *that* was athletic play. It's been 2+ seasons and I'm still waiting for a wow moment from FH.

He doesn't need to be an elite athlete. He needs to distribute the ball and score when he can. Unfortunately, with this roster, he is being asked to do things he can't. You are being way too critical. Sherman would struggle with this front court.

i don't think that was continuation. but as to frank the low assist numbers fall mainly on his shoulders. point guards create.

And those who receive score! where has that been...Spoken to the bone.

Baz is a solid shooter. It's not his strength but he can shoot. Who is the other forward? I'm not sure whom you're referring to.

Brissette...But Vince, unless we have scorers up front we're going to struggle next year and every year...

Vince, what intangibles? The kid bleeds orange and loves his team. He's doing everything he possible can. It's not his fault that he has no one at 3 (unless he drives and scores)/4/5 who can do anything on offense.

Again, I don't want to get into it. On the court, I'm referring to not always hustling, occasionally pointing fingers, etc. That technical foul against Georgia Tech cannot happen under any circumstances. You're not going to see a Villanova guard pull that crap in crunch time (and if they did in a momentary lapse of discipline, I'm quite sure they'd be pulled).

FH has made strides, especially with his shooting but his role needs to be greatly reduced. He'd be better off the ball too but we will have no true PG on the roster next year (assuming HW is out) and too many 2's on the roster. Therefore, I see JB playing FH 35+ MPG, unless JC improves by leaps and bounds as a PG. JC's own father refers to him as a scoring guard.

Next Season:

Battle
Baze
Boeheim
Brissett
Carey
Chuck
Dole
Howard
Hughes
Moyer
Paul
Sidibe
Washington

Plus adding another Big Man

Next Season:

Battle
Baze
Boeheim
Brissett
Carey
Chuck
Dole
Howard
Hughes
Moyer
Paul
Sidibe
Washington

That can’t happen under any circumstance. Even if Buddy redshirts we will be at the scholarship maximum.

Brissette...But Vince, unless we have scorers up front we're going to struggle next year and every year...

If Oshae is back, he might make strides with his shot. I'm more concerned with his inability to finish inside. He's very well-built already, so I have no clue why he can't finish throw contact or inside in general.

Bourama would've scored for us if he were healthy. I just hope he gets though these issues and is ready for the off-season workouts. He needs to live in the Melo Center weight room but that's predicated on his health. I just hope his offseason isn't filled with treatments amd visits to the training room. We don't need another Dajuan Coleman situation to develop.

I have no confidence that PC will be anything more than he was all year, an up and down player, who is extremely frustrating.

OB (if he's back) and DB will score. Bazley plays more like a 2/3 than a 3/4. I mean that mostly as a compliment.

I'm withholding all judgment on Hughes (who could play some 3) until I se how he's progressed.

MM needs to do drills to improve his quickness. Same is true of FH. MM also needs to work on his shot and get to the point where his coach actually lets him shoot from outside of 15 feet.

Last edited:
Again, I don't want to get into it. On the court, I'm referring to not always hustling, occasionally pointing fingers, etc. That technical foul against Georgia Tech cannot happen under any circumstances. You're not going to see a Villanova guard pull that crap in crunch time (and if they did in a momentary lapse of discipline, I'm quite sure they'd be pulled).

FH has made strides, especially with his shooting but his role needs to be greatly reduced. He'd be better off the ball too but we will have no true PG on the roster next year (assuming HW is out) and too many 2's on the roster. Therefore, I see JB playing FH 35+ MPG, unless JC improves by leaps and bounds as a PG. JC's own father refers to him as a scoring guard.

And who's fault is that? And it wouldn't be the first year this has happened. Since Ennis, its been the status quo.

Next Season:

Battle
Baze
Boeheim
Brissett
Carey
Chuck
Dole
Howard
Hughes
Moyer
Paul
Sidibe
Washington

Paul? Am i blanking big time?

And who's fault is that? And it wouldn't be the first year this has happened. Since Ennis, its been the status quo.

Yeah, of course. JB keeps saying we have guards. Howard Washington is a point guard and before he went down we didn't develop him because he had "two better, veteran guards in front of him." Great.

He doesn't need to be an elite athlete. He needs to distribute the ball and score when he can. Unfortunately, with this roster, he is being asked to do things he can't. You are being way too critical. Sherman would struggle with this front court.

That's fair, I guess. If FH can be a game manager next year, that would be great. Not sure that is in his DNA. I'll be pleasantly surprised if defers and sets up his teammates but that's absolutely what we need him to be. This year, he's trying to do things he's not capable of doing.

Yeah, of course. JB keeps saying we have guards. Howard Washington is a point guard and before he went down we didn't develop him because he had "two better, veteran guards in front of him." Great.

Agreed..

I really need to ask this, seriously...Is Buddy Boeheim getting a scholarship????

If Oshae is back, he might make strides with his shot. I'm more concerned with his inability to finish inside. He's very well-built already, so I have no clue why he can't finish throw contact or inside in general.

Bourama would've scored for us if he were healthy. I just hope he gets though these issues and is ready for the off-season workouts. He needs to live in the Melo Center weight room but that's predicated on his health. I just hope his offseason isn't filled with treatments amd visits to the training room. We don't need another Dajuan Coleman situation to develop.

I have no confidence that PC will be anything more than he was all year, an up and down player, who is extremely frustrating.

OB (if he's back) and DB will score. Bazley plays more like a 2/3 than a 3/4. I mean that mostly as a compliment.

I'm withholding all judgment on Hughes (who could play some 3) until I se how he's progressed.

MM needs to do drills to improve his quickness. Same is true of FH. MM also needs to work on his shot and get to the point where his coach actually lets him shoot from outside of 15 feet.

Your point about Oshae being well built is an interesting one. That was the first thing I noticed when I saw him this year - sure he can always get stronger, but I felt he was starting at a much better point than a lot of freshmen. Just don't get his difficulty finishing inside.

I’m sure you’ve seen most if not all the games this year. Many many games Frank has had no trouble getting into the lane. That’s how he gets up so many floaters in the lane, or dumping the ball to a big who makes it or usually misses. It get progressively more difficult as teams pack it in more and more as we show we can’t shoot from outside.

I'm in complete agreement with the bolded part. Diplomatically, I disagree about him having no problem getting into the lane, at least against stiffer competition. Some of those early season games, besides lessor competition, I don't think teams defended him as they should have. It's very much apparent now that teams placing moderate to heavy continuous pressure on the ball, brings out the worse in Frank. Some of those floaters in the lane, especially against the better teams, don't appear to be where he's under good control, but sped up at times and rushed having more of chance not going in than going in. I certainly don't have any agenda, I just see what I see. I wish Frank great successes as that would only help our chances of winning...which is what I care about first and foremost.

I really need to ask this, seriously...Is Buddy Boeheim getting a scholarship????

I don't know if it's determined, simply because we don't know the roster but I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Your point about Oshae being well built is an interesting one. That was the first thing I noticed when I saw him this year - sure he can always get stronger, but I felt he was starting at a much better point than a lot of freshmen. Just don't get his difficulty finishing inside.

He's built like an upperclassmen. He has plenty of muscle to finish inside. Right now, it looks like he's just not sure whether to create or avoid contact or just finish through it. He had some bogus charge calls earlier in the season (the big one against, I think St. Bonaventure, comes to mind) and I think that has played a role in his angst. That's all a guess. I'm grasping for straws.

Last edited:
This would be appalling because: 1) His dad gets his kids free tuition and 2) His family can afford tuition...what absolute crap!

I think the answer is JB is maybe sick of these developmental guys (like a Chino or Sean Williams). I'm not saying I'm agreeing but I think Buddy could very well get a scholarship just because we won't use his scholarship/ slot for someone else.

I think the answer is JB is maybe sick of these developmental guys (like a Chino or Sean Williams). I'm not saying I'm agreeing but I think Buddy could very well get a scholarship just because we won't use his scholarship/ slot for someone else.

Then he could return the money to the department to use for some who needs it...I'm not saying you do agree either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom