Next step for ACC? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next step for ACC?

There's no way The big10 forces Ped State out but if they did then the ACC should immediately take them in. In 5 to 10 years this scandal will be ancient history and Ped St will still be selling a hundred thousand tickets to home football games.

Ped State will be selling 100K tickets in a few months

Ped State will be selling 100K tickets in a few months

I doubt that...I think they lose some of the cult this Fall. I'm thinking they fall back to 90-95k...sigh if we only had attendance problems like that.

I doubt that...I think they lose some of the cult this Fall. I'm thinking they fall back to 90-95k...sigh if we only had attendance problems like that.

It will certainly be interesting to see how they do... and how the school spins it.

Sorry to say, Mark, I think you're wrong. The program IS the culture there. Sure it's a great academic institution and has some fantastic programs, degree programs, etc. But at the end of the day, football there is a local, state-wide, and family tradition and they'll have no problem finding 105K to circle the wagons, fill the hotels, and chant "we are...Penn State." The fan base will rationalize it away as a bygone sin of a fired/convicted man and a minor mistake by a dead icon.

Yeah, I think their fans rally and sell out every game under the "PSU vs. The World" mantra.

I've said from the beginning UConn would be 16 if ND was 15. Rutgers will end up in the B10 as the last kid picked.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I believe all of that is correct too.

Yeah no way B1G forces Penn St out. I wish they would so the ACC could snap them up. They would complete that Eastern Football conference dreamt of in the 70s and 80s. But no way does the B1G cut off its own nose financially.

I've said from the beginning UConn would be 16 if ND was 15. Rutgers will end up in the B10 as the last kid picked.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
i cant imagine rut in the b1g, unless its texas and them. i can see them in the bevo if texas wants to go to 12. as a matter of fact, the bevo should take lville and rut and close up shop. the big east would really, really be dead and storz can hope and pray all the fluck they want that nd (ha) joins a conf. by the time nd decides to do it, storz will not be scheduling d1aas because they keep getting an arsewhoopin.

Why in the hell would the b10 want rutgirls? Oh it must be that they are NY/NJ's college team. Quite frankly im hoping notre dame goes nowhere and fades away like they have been for the kast 20 years. Always talked about and hyped but never relevant.

If you were the B10, wouldn't you want millions of Metro NYC TV's tuning in every weekend?

I heard this from a friend of mine who is very well connected at Notre Dame. Therefore, it may have at least an iota of truth in it.

ND has a standing offer from the ACC, and ND has been very interested in it. However, the decision to have a four-team NC playoff .. without regard to conference affiliation... has slowed the process down.

ND really likes the ACC's non-revenue sports, especially its women sports. They consider them to be ND's best conference fit.

The Big 10 is out of the picture. They were left standing at the altar twice ... when ND walked away just before the ceremony reached the "I do" stage. It is doubtful that the Big 10 will risk that kind of embarrassment a third time.

If/when ND joins the ACC UConn will be the team that comes in with them.

As I said... all of the above is from a friend of mine who is very close to Notre Dame. I have no independent way to verify any of it.

Why? Why is this still being discussed? Notre Dame isn't joining any conference. It's not going to happen. Is everyone that's ever had a Guiness now a "source"?

Notre Dame is negotiating THEIR OWN agreement with the Orange Bowl. They have THEIR OWN television contract. They had THEIR OWN seat at the BCS discussions right next to all of the conference commissioners. They carry as much power as the entire ACC in college football.

The ACC is the best fit for non-revenue sports? Moreso than always having a home with other like-minded private Catholic universities? Moreso than even the Big Ten which has exponentially less travel and would match them with historical, geographic rivals? (And they're not joining the Big Ten either).

Notre Dame cares about football, first and foremost. They play a national schedule which feeds the fact they have a national fanbase which has made Notre Dame what it is, the prettiest girl at the prom that everyone wants.

They play annual non-ACC rivalry games with Michigan State (one of the oldest rivalries in college football), Michigan (one of the best rivalries), USC (their biggest rival), Navy (whom they owe their 'debt of honor'). The ACC will be playing a 9-game conference schedule. So three non-conference games with 4 huge rivals, and MSU, USC, and Navy will never come off their schedule.

Notre Dame is not walking through that door. And the ACC won't take them for all sports but football.

Notre Dame will continue to have a deal with NBC, they'll continue to not have to share their revenue with anyone, and they'll continue to play a national schedule which caters to their national fanbase, allows them to continue to plays their rivals and schedule whoever they want, and they will have their own path to the BCS, and their own negotiated deal with a major bowl. They will not give these things up because THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

i cant imagine rut in the b1g

Well, I don't think it would be out of any great desire for the B10 to have Buttgers. But as Mark said above, last kid standing.

I actually think the whole PSU thing hurts Rutgers, contrary to what they think. Paterno is gone. No more "we need an eastern partner." B1G won't be doing PSU any favors for quite a while.

On top of that, if you're assuming ND doesn't go to the B1G, what's the point in them expanding? Jim Delaney is like Ahab with ND.

I get the feeling Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri will be in the B1G before Rutgers is.

Well, I don't think it would be out of any great desire for the B10 to have Buttgers. But as Mark said above, last kid standing.
well, there would be 1 football and 2 hoop games every year that are on LHN, and id think they would like that exposure.

I actually think the whole PSU thing hurts Rutgers, contrary to what they think. Paterno is gone. No more "we need an eastern partner." B1G won't be doing PSU any favors for quite a while.

On top of that, if you're assuming ND doesn't go to the B1G, what's the point in them expanding? Jim Delaney is like Ahab with ND.

I get the feeling Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri will be in the B1G before Rutgers is.

Kansas and Oklahoma I could see. But Missouri isn't going to leave the SEC. Not now.

I think Missouri would accept an offer to leave the SEC for the B1G before you could even get the sentence out.

I would love to see NCState offered as a sacrifice to the SEC Gods. Everyone wins.

Why? Why is this still being discussed? Notre Dame isn't joining any conference. It's not going to happen. Is everyone that's ever had a Guiness now a "source"?

Notre Dame is negotiating THEIR OWN agreement with the Orange Bowl. They have THEIR OWN television contract. They had THEIR OWN seat at the BCS discussions right next to all of the conference commissioners. They carry as much power as the entire ACC in college football.

The ACC is the best fit for non-revenue sports? Moreso than always having a home with other like-minded private Catholic universities? Moreso than even the Big Ten which has exponentially less travel and would match them with historical, geographic rivals? (And they're not joining the Big Ten either).

Notre Dame cares about football, first and foremost. They play a national schedule which feeds the fact they have a national fanbase which has made Notre Dame what it is, the prettiest girl at the prom that everyone wants.

They play annual non-ACC rivalry games with Michigan State (one of the oldest rivalries in college football), Michigan (one of the best rivalries), USC (their biggest rival), Navy (whom they owe their 'debt of honor'). The ACC will be playing a 9-game conference schedule. So three non-conference games with 4 huge rivals, and MSU, USC, and Navy will never come off their schedule.

Notre Dame is not walking through that door. And the ACC won't take them for all sports but football.

Notre Dame will continue to have a deal with NBC, they'll continue to not have to share their revenue with anyone, and they'll continue to play a national schedule which caters to their national fanbase, allows them to continue to plays their rivals and schedule whoever they want, and they will have their own path to the BCS, and their own negotiated deal with a major bowl. They will not give these things up because THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

Well written and well reasoned.

But these people don't care about all of that. This is all a game. A game of "Lets pretend ND was going to join a conference. Which conference would that be? And wouldn't it be great if it were the ACC? And who would the 16th team be if ND were to join the ACC?"

I like the game. I have even been sucked into playing it myself.

But, this is not a serious discussion. Its fantasy land. The game that people play with themselves when they buy Powerball Tickets. (What's the first thing I'd buy?)

ND doesn't have to join the ACC and send the women's volleyball team all over the Eastern seaboard from Indiana. They can easily stick with the Catholic schools and be Kings of the Hill. Instead of having the NC schools dictate to them.

And no one in an All Catholic league is going to be whining at them incessantly to join the conference for football or schedule their teams.

My sources tell me that Jim Delaney was spotted in Norman, Oklahoma this morning.

There ya go.
Oklahoma is a natural fit for the Big10. They get to renew their rivalry with Nebraska -- one of the great all-time games. Plus they get out from under Texas' thumb once and for all.

Not to derail the thread, but I've seen lots of comments about how ND will NEVER join the BiG. What happened between the two that there is such bad blood?

I don't understand these "last team standing" posts.

Why?

Seriously, why would any conference expand any more than is absolutely necessary? Why would any school share a dime more than they have to?

There is no prescribed 4X16, or 5X14, "plan", nor will there be. Conference alignment is ever-fluid and entirely based on $$$. So if anyone wants to add a school to their conference it is for extremely explicit reasons, not just to get to some magic number that the internet has decided is necessary... for some undetermined reason.

If Rutgers ends up in the B10, or ACC, or whatever, it will only be because those conferences want them. End of story.

Not to derail the thread, but I've seen lots of comments about how ND will NEVER join the BiG. What happened between the two that there is such bad blood?

Pure nonsense. ND went all the way to the edge of joining the Big Ten a number of years ago. Their football schedule features a number of Big10 schools. No such "bad blood" exists. The Big10 would love to have ND join. They may hesitant to go all the way through the application process another time without some upfront guarantees from ND that if an invitation is extended they will accept it. But that's about it.

Spot-on.
I have no doubt that CTO's source is absolutely right. ND probably does have a standing offer. And if they actually had any intention joining a conference, I'm sure the ACC deal is genuinely the "best" conference affiliation for them.

But while ND enjoys being chased and courted, they will NEVER join as conference.

I would never say never, but conditions as they exist today don't suggest that there is any compelling reason for ND to put their football program in a conference.

There is no conference champ condition in the new playoff format.

ND is still a wildly valuable media brand. I know that pains the people here who scream "but, but, but, they haven't won in forevahhh, they're IRRELEVANT", but it's the truth. ND is a big brand that generates interest. And the second they are remotely relevant they generate a ton of interest. They will maintain healthy media revenue for the foreseeable future. Sorry.

Any bowl would gladly have an arrangement with them to participate, and most will pay a premium for it.

Any school would eagerly schedule them.

And even if ND could theoretically make a few more dollars by aligning with a conference, there is a lot of value in being able to solely dictate one's own future and be beholdant to the whims of 12 or 14 other schools.