Next weeks starting qb decision | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next weeks starting qb decision

What crusty said. Even though Rex can come back next year, what does that do for Syracuse? An incapable backup? I know he’s a kid and I love his story. But he is not a P5 QB let alone a D1 QB. He wouldn’t play anywhere in D1 in my opinion. No reason to have him back. And yes, maybe a snap judgement but I don’t think he offers anything off the field either. It’s not like he knows the game inside and out and can coach our players up as we witnessed yesterday (running out of bounds for loss of yards instead of throwing away, taking terrible sacks, spiking the ball on 4th and goal).

Rex would still have to be asked back. Don’t think he will.

Rex has been decent in Qs 1-3. Maybe we should start him vs ND and then put in someone else for the 4th Q.

What crusty said. Even though Rex can come back next year, what does that do for Syracuse? An incapable backup? I know he’s a kid and I love his story. But he is not a P5 QB let alone a D1 QB. He wouldn’t play anywhere in D1 in my opinion. No reason to have him back. And yes, maybe a snap judgement but I don’t think he offers anything off the field either. It’s not like he knows the game inside and out and can coach our players up as we witnessed yesterday (running out of bounds for loss of yards instead of throwing away, taking terrible sacks, spiking the ball on 4th and goal).
Almost throwing an interception when he should have thrown the ball into the stands.

I blame Babers and Gilbert more than I do Rex. Those mistakes should have been fixed or at least limited from practicing. No excuse.

Rex has been decent in Qs 1-3. Maybe we should start him vs ND and then put in someone else for the 4th Q.
Morgan (if healthy) should be our closer. Believe he's scored all his points in the last drives of the game.

Personally I'm still hoping for cancellation. This game is meaningless for both programs.

And spare me the overdramatic clown takes about "BUT WHADAREYA TEACHING THE KIDS?!?!?!" They've done enough gutting out the season. Lining them up for a likely hellacious beating is just masochistic and abusive.

Personally I'm still hoping for cancellation. This game is meaningless for both programs.

And spare me the overdramatic clown takes about "BUT WHADAREYA TEACHING THE KIDS?!?!?!" They've done enough gutting out the season. Lining them up for a likely hellacious beating is just masochistic and abusive.

We did have a few more injuries yesterday, wonder how close we are to having to forfeit.

Despite the end of game failures - and make no mistake there is lots of blame to go around - Rex had about as functional a game as we can expect based on the reality of SU 2020. And for all we know, Rex may be back next year competing for the QB spot again.

If I’m HCDM, I would assess the situation based on whether I think Rex is back next year or not. If yes, start Rex but (assuming the game is quickly out of hand) find some snaps for Morgan if healthy and Tex. If Rex is gone, play both of the kids.
If I'm HCDM I worry more about keeping my job so I can coach Trevor Lawrence next year. ;)

I don't know if they were all for QB, but I remember people being excited we got him.

He wasn't being recruited as a kicker...

Ranked the No. 7 quarterback in the state of Florida by Scowt … No. 43 pro-style quarterback in the Class of 2016, according to 247sports.com … No. 8 player on the Tampa Bay Times Home Team 100 … As a junior, completed 138 out of 219 passes (.630) for 2,016 yards and 20 touchdowns, and rushed for 360 yards and six scores, to lead Plant to the 2014 Florida Class 8A regional semifinals ... Earned second-team all-county and third-team all-state honors.

You can’t throw a freshman QB to the wolves against ND’s defense. He would get killed. Rex better have his life insurance paid. It’s going to get real ugly. They killed us in 2018 and we were pretty good and they are much better this year.

We should call out sick on Wednesday. Have an entire position just need to be quarantined for contact tracing even with a positive case.

Don't we know what Rex is by now?⁰ He can't pass and he can't run. Sub 50% passer with almost as many picks as TDs. Many of his passes are way off the mark. His judgment is poor.
We are way better off developing one of the freshmen. If Rex is our best backup we have no depth again.
He showed us more than Morgan did. And ND is not really a development opportunity per se. As I said, start Rex, work the other guys in if healthy.

With Rex being highly recruited and not developing and none of our other qbs developing...would you put that on the coaches or just bad luck?

We can’t ever go into a season without a decent option at backup QB.

If a Chance situation happens, and we’re not able to land any freshmen that are going to be ready, then we need to find a way to get a transfer that is decent.

Guys like Cam Dantley, Mahoney, Welch, and Culpepper should never be starting football games at Syracuse...and the fact that list is that long is just bad. I shudder to think what our record is in the games those guys started. It’s gotta be like 2-20.

I don’t see why people are saying morgan didn’t develop. How much of a chance did he get before being killed

We can’t ever go into a season without a decent option at backup QB.

If a Chance situation happens, and we’re not able to land any freshmen that are going to be ready, then we need to find a way to get a transfer that is decent.

Guys like Cam Dantley, Mahoney, Welch, and Culpepper should never be starting football games at Syracuse...and the fact that list is that long is just bad. I shudder to think what our record is in the games those guys started. It’s gotta be like 2-20.
Cam beat ND in South Bend.

He'll always be aces in my book.

I would like to see Dillion M start. If he looks completely overwhelmed or in “danger” bring in Rex.

Is this offer list legit?
I remember being very unimpressed w/ his HS film and being shocked at his alleged offers. Great young man, but look at his HS tape and compare it to Dungey, Lamson, or Markiewicz. I don't care who starts, but think it would be a lost opportunity if we don't get Dillon some reps and see what he has to work on in the offseason. The only thing worse than a 1-10 season is a 1-10 season behind a 5th year QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom