Next year’s starting line up ? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Next year’s starting line up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. We’ve been a 3 and 4 seed with 9 regular season losses before. If you win your fair share it doesn’t matter how many losses you have. It never has. If we go 23-8 and win 2 ACC games we will be a high seed.
Meh We have done it a grand total of twice since 1996. So every other time we have had that kind of losses, we haven't been ranked a 3 or 4 seed. I don't make bets with those kind of horrible odds. I will leave that to others. By the way, the years we were seeded in the top 4 with that many losses was 2009 and 2013.

Last edited:
Meh We have done it a grand total of twice since 1996. So every other time we have had that kind of losses, we haven't been ranked a 3 or 4 seed. I don't make bets with those kind of horrible odds. I will leave that to others. By the way, the years we were seeded in the top 4 with that many losses was 2009 and 2013.

It’s not that simple.

Those schedules were similar to this one. The years we weren’t seeded as high was before those seasons when JB thought he could get away with scheduling cream puffs. 06-07 changed how we schedules.

Anyway an confident that we have good to Elite talent at every position, but pg. If Joe can have a good season we will be a FF contender. If he plays like he did last year we are likely a 6 seed to a bubble team. That position is the wild card.

It’s not that simple.

Those schedules were similar to this one. The years we weren’t seeded as high was before those seasons when JB thought he could get away with scheduling cream puffs. 06-07 changed how we schedules.

Anyway an confident that we have good to Elite talent at every position, but pg. If Joe can have a good season we will be a FF contender. If he plays like he did last year we are likely a 6 seed to a bubble team. That position is the wild card.
I also think we have a really good group. But, and I have beena fan probably as long as anyone on this board and longer than most, this is a rough OOC schedule. There wasn't anything as similar. A very good team will lose 3 games in Atlantis. Throw in Nova , G-town, Indiana. Those are real teams. And that is 6 tough OOC games. I think the ACC schedule is a bit softer than what we used to face but that is still 10 road games Vs 9

Sounds like the hope that Frank could play the 4 for some minutes along side Jesse isn't in the cards.
I’ve seen a few posts about this but can’t fathom why we’d want to play such a lineup? Seems like it would be bad for offense and defense. Maybe helps with rebounding.

Last edited:
I also think we have a really good group. But, and I have beena fan probably as long as anyone on this board and longer than most, this is a rough OOC schedule. There wasn't anything as similar. A very good team will lose 3 games in Atlantis. Throw in Nova , G-town, Indiana. Those are real teams. And that is 6 tough OOC games. I think the ACC schedule is a bit softer than what we used to face but that is still 10 road games Vs 9

If we lose to any of Indiana, Georgetown, or VCU then we deserve to be on the bubble.

If I win just make the donation to the same United Way branch.
So no matter what charity wins.
Nice, not surprised though.

Hopefully we bump into each other at a game at some point and we can share a couple glasses of some good stuff, on the loser.

It’s funny, 200 isn’t a big deal, particularly with proceeds going to charity, but it is fun just having an arbitrary number out there that I will now paying attention to. Will make it more fun….

If we lose to any of Indiana, Georgetown, or VCU then we deserve to be on the bubble.
Before the name G-town is the word at, correct? In college hoop, that makes it tough on it's own.

Nice, not surprised though.

Hopefully we bump into each other at a game at some point and we can share a couple glasses of some good stuff, on the loser.

It’s funny, 200 isn’t a big deal, particularly with proceeds going to charity, but it is fun just having an arbitrary number out there that I will now paying attention to. Will make it more fun….
Agreed. I honestly hope I lose.
200 bucks is a cheap price for a top 6 seed for me.
It makes the games more fun and not an amount that is too much.

Before the name G-town is the word at, correct? In college hoop, that makes it tough on it's own.

Yeah, but if we just win one of Nova/Baylor we are likely top 15. If we win both games we are probably top 5-10.

Instead of complaining about the difficulty of schedule, realize it sets us up perfectly for a return to national prominence in the regular season.

It’s been 6 years since we have won anything of note in January and December. I don’t want to hear excuses this year. The two things that concern me this year are JB being too loyal to Sidibe and Girard because they are the veterans.

I firmly believe Edwards is the answer to the Center position. Hopefully JB remembers how well he played at the end of last season. He needs as many minutes as possible pending any foul trouble.

If Girard isn’t hitting he needs to let Symir run the team. We certainly have all the offense we need on the wings, but we can’t have the situation where JB doesn’t figure out the lineup until game 10-20 and that’s too often been the case in recent years.

Last edited:
In this case, you are letting your narrative ignore the facts. Going back to Lydon at center, there was nobody else! There weren't centers to play center, so no centers played.

Going back:

In 14-15 We had senior Christmas in beast mode.

In 15-16 we went to Lydon playing out of position... The only other options were a broken Coleman or a terrible Obokoh.

In 16-17, we had Coleman and we replaced Obokoh with a first year Chukwu, plus Lydon at center had just gotten us a Final Four. Why would we switch?

In 17-18, Chukwu played 27 and Sidibe 12, not many minutes at center for anybody else.

In 18-19, Chukwu, Sidibe and Dolezaj split time at center, but Sidibe and Chukwu, while bad, still played 30mpg.

In 19-20, we had Sidibe play 24mpg, without a backup at all. Dolezaj picked up the slack.

In 20-21, we watched Dolezaj suffer through 35mpg at center, and it was horrible... But let's not pretend this is JB's new thing. We didn't have anybody else. We were hoping Sidibe would recover and play 35, but when he went down again, Edwards and Anselem (partially due to Covid preventing summer practice with the team) weren't up to JB's standards. If we had one of them play to fill in for Sidibe, we would have needed to bench one of Guerrier, Dolezaj or Griffen... Which guy would you have chosen? (During the Sweet Sixteen run, Edwards finally pushed Griffen to the bench, but a season of practices is a lot of experience.)

This upcoming year, we have an obvious rotation of:

Edwards/Anselem/small ball forward in emergency
Swider/Williams/JBJ
BBoeheim/Girard/Torrence

This is what we will see for the vast majority of the minutes.

Only if Sidibe has a clear and dramatic improvement in his health will this lineup change, and then one of Edwards or Anselem get pushed to the deep reserves.

Otherwise, Ajok, Owens and anybody else on the bench get sporadic minutes in blowouts or emergencies.

The only exception to this is if we pick up a late transfer or freshman recruit for deep depth. Whoever it is is unlikely to upset the rotation, as much as we would like a top 50 PG recruit to flip at the last minute. :p
Great post. I agree 100% with everything you said here. I think Jesse will improve our D dramatically this year. He really came on at the end of last year and from all accounts has had a good summer so that should pay dividends for us come winter.

Ok, my real prediction is:

Girard
Buddy
Williams
Swider
Edwards

“On paper” we’re probably a year away, though we should be competitive and decent. Unless we get one of those years where everything goes right and the team really gels and plays above their “on paper” level. And frankly, we’re overdue for a year like that, so that would be nice.

Girard
Buddy
Williams
Swider
Edwards

“On paper” we’re probably a year away, though we should be competitive and decent. Unless we get one of those years where everything goes right and the team really gels and plays above their “on paper” level. And frankly, we’re overdue for a year like that, so that would be nice.

"On paper" our ceiling is very high... We could have four starters shooting 40% from 3pt range if each of them reach their 90% of performance. The defense could really improve with experience and increased focus. We will have two athletic, tall and long centers eating up the middle of the zone. Our reserves are solid, experienced players who won't give us a drop-off when they are in. And we have a guy who averaged a double double for a stretch against very good competition as our "if we get really lucky" guy.

I don't think it's a stretch to say this team could be very good.

It's also not crazy to say we could take our lumps. Huge variance in a team with so many unknown quantities.

I would argue the only truly known quantity is Buddy.

There are questions both to the up and down about every other player. It's exciting to think about during the dog days of baseball.

"On paper" our ceiling is very high... We could have four starters shooting 40% from 3pt range if each of them reach their 90% of performance. The defense could really improve with experience and increased focus. We will have two athletic, tall and long centers eating up the middle of the zone. Our reserves are solid, experienced players who won't give us a drop-off when they are in. And we have a guy who averaged a double double for a stretch against very good competition as our "if we get really lucky" guy.

It's also not crazy to say we could take our lumps. Huge variance in a team with so many unknown quantities.
Who are the 4 players who could shoot 40% from 3?

Maybe. Buddy is the only guy that’s likely to get any preseason All ACC hype though. Really good teams usually have 2-3 of those guys.

Maybe Swider plays up to his recruiting rankings for a team that he fits better. Maybe Benny is an all league type of stud from day 1. Hopefully.

Maybe. Buddy is the only guy that’s likely to get any preseason All ACC hype though. Really good teams usually have 2-3 of those guys.

Maybe Swider plays up to his recruiting rankings for a team that he fits better. Maybe Benny is an all league type of stud from day 1. Hopefully.
We still aren’t going to have much offense from the center.
So it’s all going to be jump shots. It’s going to be a game by game thing. I don’t expect much consistency when you are jump shot reliant and don’t get 10-15 points a game in transition which are easy baskets.

I have faith Buddy, Swider can shoot.

I have no clue what to expect from Benny except he appears like a player.

I hope PG is serviceable.

I expect Edwards to play dominant defense.

I’m optimistic in the belief that JGIII is one of the most competitive players ever to wear SU orange. He did not have a great year last and he is not the most talented, but I am certain that he recognizes that. I think he will surprise the plethora of naysayers on this board.
Some of the comments are mind boggling as if JB doesn’t mind losing.
I believe Covid hit him hard. Looking forward to the bounce back

Defense (results) will be better due to Jesse and having bigger forwards
Only if both guards up their games significantly. Also, I highly doubt QGs defense will be replaced so quickly. Three forwards learning to actually play this defense will take some time to gel.

And yes, I’m aware that one of them is a boeheim, but until this year, he only practiced attacking that zone.

Girard
Buddy
Williams
Swider
Edwards

It's hard to judge anymore a year in the future on rosters because of how easy it is to transfer now.

We are gonna be freaking Lemoyne soon enough. Gotta enjoy being at least near the bubble with this rag tag crew of overperforming Ivy leaguers while we can!

This year's starting lineup should provide at least a better start to games than last year. Once Griff fell off the wagon it was hit or miss out of the gate. I think no matter what we roll out ( given likely scenarios) the first 10 minutes should be much more promising.

Last edited:
We are gonna be freaking Lemoyne soon enough.
Season 4 Homer GIF by The Simpsons

We are gonna be freaking Lemoyne soon enough. Gotta enjoy being at least near the bubble with this rag tag crew of overperforming Ivy leaguers while we can!

This year's starting lineup should provide at least a better start to games than last year. Once Griff fell off the wagon it was hit or miss out of the gate. I think no matter what we roll out ( given likely scenarios) the first 10 minutes should be much more promising.
Clearly I'm not sold yet. I'd like to see who provides the relief valve for Joe when we play a team with decent defensive guards who push him full court. Who takes the role of Marek, acting as a point center when Joe couldn't get the ball over half? Do we think Joe was unable to dribble past most guards because of Covid, or because that's who he is? I hope he's much better at that, but until I see it for myself, I'll go with what I've seen so far.

But you know what? All of that is moot, because this is just a stupid starting line up thread, and I've clearly taken it too far.

I think the starters are

Joe
Buddy
Benny
Cole
Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member