Next year’s starting line up ? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Next year’s starting line up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know Jimmy played well against us in 2019, but he hasnt played in over a year, and people are expecting him to get 30+ minutes? I’m not seeing it. He was a good player on a bad team. Maybe like two3zone is saying, his minutes will come up once the ACC regular season hits, but looking at his stats against the higher rated conferences, I don’t see 30.

How does it make sense to complain all about defense last year.
Have a great defensive player develop and then the next year go back and decide to play a guy out of position when we have depth at the position.
If we were complaining about defense last year, I can’t imagine how bad it will be this year.

I mean, I know Jimmy played well against us in 2019, but he hasnt played in over a year, and people are expecting him to get 30+ minutes? I’m not seeing it. He was a good player on a bad team. Maybe like two3zone is saying, his minutes will come up once the ACC regular season hits, but looking at his stats against the higher rated conferences, I don’t see 30.
Freshman make mistakes, when they do and there is depth they’re not allowed to play through it here and that is something that’s happened for decades here. I don’t see it changing.

This looks spot on if, if, if Coach will trust FA for 15 instead of CS/JB for 15 and if BS cannot go

So, it looks spot on, if, if, if Coach…

goes against everything he’s been doing with the 5 since 2016?

Yeah, good luck with that. :rolleyes:

I’d LOVE it if Frankie were good enough to earn those 15 minutes, but even then -
you know how Boeheim do.

We will absolutely see one or both of Cole & Junior get non-trivial minutes at the 5.
It’s like Death, Taxes, and the 2-3 zone at this point.

I’d LOVE it if Frankie were good enough to earn those 15 minutes, but even then -
you know how Boeheim do.

We will absolutely see one or both of Cole & Junior get non-trivial minutes at the 5.
You gonna be ok?

I’m gonna be great!

Because I don’t have unrealistic expectations for what JB is gonna do this season.
Who on here is presenting unrealistic expectations? And what specifically are the expectations you’re referring to?

The idea of Frank being our back up 5 seems pretty damn realistic.

If we were complaining about defense last year, I can’t imagine how bad it will be this year.
If Jesse plays the lion share of minutes at the 5 I expect the defense to be good.
What I expect is JB will do what he wants and then say something like we need more offense so Jesse has to sit more to play smaller.
I don’t think Jimmy Jr. is good enough to justify that but JB will do what he wants.

If Jesse plays the lion share of minutes at the 5 I expect the defense to be good.
What I expect is JB will do what he wants and then say something like we need more offense so Jesse has to sit more to play smaller.
I don’t think Jimmy Jr. is good enough to justify that but JB will do what he wants.
Don’t expect us to improve up front and Q/Grif/Bras will be better than our current forwards.

Jesse will be good, but I’ll believe 25+ min when I see it. I expect a lot of foul trouble inside due to our backcourt getting blown by every other possession.

Watching you guys splay your imaginations in August is amazing.

Jimmy Jr playing the 5 OVER Edwards. Lol. I hope it happens just to see y’all squirm.

Last edited:

you know how Boeheim do.

Junior is 6’8” and 215. I highly doubt he possesses Marek’s dribbling and passing ability that forced JB to find a way to keep him on the floor. If he’s playing center for non significant minutes next year, it’s time for changes to the coaching staff due to their inability to develop centers adequately.

JG 30
BB 37
CS 28
BW 32
JE 25

ST 13
JB 20
FA 15

BS will be our foul-trouble-game 5. Unless he’s fully healthy, which I doubt. Having three viable options at the 5 sure would be nice.
The best guess I have seen

Everyone thought we were going to be chronically undersized at the 3 after Pace and Harris played so many years there but JB adjusted because he didn’t want to be small. He was only playing small because 1 guy was better than he thought (Melo) and left, 1 guy developed slower than he thought (Nichols), and 1 guy didn’t have guard skills but needed to be on the court (Harris). Since then we haven’t had a 3 under 6’6 because JB knew better. He will fix going small at center just the way he fixed being small at the 3 - 15 years ago.

Last edited:
The best guess I have seen

Everyone thought we were going to be chronically undersized at the 3 after Pace and Harris played so many years there but JB adjusted because he didn’t want to be small. He was only playing small because 1 guy was better than he thought (Melo) and left, 1 guy developed slower than he thought (Nichols), and 1 guy didn’t have guard skills but needed to be on the court (Harris). Since then we haven’t had a 3 under 6’6 because JB knew better. He will fix going small at center just the way he fixed being small at the 3 - 15 years ago.
Yep. Can’t look at these things in a vacuum. Unfortunately the loudest ones here are clouded by resentment.

If it all falls together, I like the make up of the team. Just wish we had Kadary instead of Symir. But shiz happens.

Last edited:
Junior is 6’8” and 215. I highly doubt he possesses Marek’s dribbling and passing ability that forced JB to find a way to keep him on the floor. If he’s playing center for non significant minutes next year, it’s time for changes to the coaching staff due to their inability to develop centers adequately.

Frankie weighs 210, and has no dribbling or passing (or shooting) ability.

I’d be willing to bet heavily that Junior is a much more skilled all-around player than Frank is -
he’s a great athlete, and 2’ taller.
… annnnd, that’s about it.

Boeheim hasn’t split the C minutes between 2 true centers since Baye was a Senior and Rak was a Jr.

Since then, he has always used a forward, or 2, to augment the minutes played by a true 5.

And honestly, if I’m JB, and unless Frankie has had a hockey-stick progression in skills since last year, I’d play Cole or Junior at the 5 when Jesse’s not in too.

It’s not a function of “are they as skilled as Marek?”
They don’t have to be.
it’s “are they more skilled than Frank?”

The answer to that 2nd question is an unequivocal YES.

you know how Boeheim do.

I emphatically disagree with this take.

The ONLY reason I can see Boeheim playing JB or CS at center is to enhance his team's offensive capabilities. Given the number of shooters on this team, I can't see a lack of offensive firepower on the court to ever be a problem for this team.

If anything, I think one of JB's biggest concerns for this team will be their ability to defend with so many less-than-optimal athletes on the court. With Jesse & Frank, he has two now experienced athletic defenders to protect the basket, which will do much to enhance the team's overall team defense. (This assumes they've continued to improve)

For this reason, I seriously doubt that we will ever see JB or CS playing center on this team, save for the catastrophic possibility of injuries forcing Jim's hand...

I emphatically disagree with this take.

The ONLY reason I can see Boeheim playing JB or CS at center is to enhance his team's offensive capabilities. Given the number of shooters on this team, I can't see a lack of offensive firepower on the court to ever be a problem for this team.

If anything, I think one of JB's biggest concerns for this team will be their ability to defend with so many less-than-optimal athletes on the court. With Jesse & Frank, he has two now experienced athletic defenders to protect the basket, which will do much to enhance the team's overall team defense. (This assumes they've continued to improve)

For this reason, I seriously doubt that we will ever see JB or CS playing center on this team, save for the catastrophic possibility of injuries forcing Jim's hand...

Frankie is experienced?

This guy?? LOL.

26 minutes. Total.

Frank Anselem

Yep. Can’t look at these things in a vacuum. Unfortunately the loudest ones here are clouded by resentment.

If it all falls together, I like the make up of the team. Just wish we had Kadary instead of Symir. But shiz happens.
If we had Kadary I would say we could win a NC or be really competitive for it next year.
Guard play is how you win it all.
Kadary and Buddy starting with Joe as the swing backup would be competitive.

I don’t want to be frustrated. I just said JB does whatever he wants and then saying whatever justifies it. He is just as thin skinned as the people on here you are trolling. JB knows how to talk. He is smart he knows what he is doing when does that stuff. It doesn’t mean he is right.

We have enough bigs on the roster a forward shouldn’t have to be in the regular center rotation.
Sidibe/Edwards/Ansalem should be the 5s next year.

We can have a defensive player on the court. You don’t want to 2 nonoffensive threats but 1 is fine especially if they make the defense better.

Last edited:
Frankie is experienced?

This guy?? LOL.

26 minutes. Total.

Frank Anselem
I agree, If Frankie gets 20 mins, I’ll fall over. What was the last Frosh/Soph center to average 20+ mins who wasn’t a top 50 recruit?

This fact is the main reason I still think we see 5-10 mins of Cole at the 5 (no Jimmy at the 5 imo) plus it sounds like Sid won’t be available. But I don’t see anything approaching Dole’s minutes at the 5

I see Jesse for 20-30, Frank for 10-15 and 5-10 for Cole which I think will be fine defensively and we have enough offense 1-4 to compensate for when Jesse and Frankie are in.

Last edited:
Frankie weighs 210, and has no dribbling or passing (or shooting) ability.

I’d be willing to bet heavily that Junior is a much more skilled all-around player than Frank is -
he’s a great athlete, and 2’ taller.
… annnnd, that’s about it.

Boeheim hasn’t split the C minutes between 2 true centers since Baye was a Senior and Rak was a Jr.

Since then, he has always used a forward, or 2, to augment the minutes played by a true 5.

And honestly, if I’m JB, and unless Frankie has had a hockey-stick progression in skills since last year, I’d play Cole or Junior at the 5 when Jesse’s not in too.

It’s not a function of “are they as skilled as Marek?”
They don’t have to be.
it’s “are they more skilled than Frank?”

The answer to that 2nd question is an unequivocal YES.
Rebounding is always an issue with the zone, but there is little chance junior outrebounds ACC centers at the 5. Frank will do much better with that, and he’s been playing the zone for far longer. I’m sure junior is familiar, but until he shows he can actually play it, I’m hoping there are other options at C.

Frankie is experienced?

This guy?? LOL.

26 minutes. Total.

Frank Anselem
You’re intentionally discounting the time frank was able to garner during practice. I know he had a COVID issue, but I guarantee he’s had far more time actually playing the Syracuse zone than Jimmy

you know how Boeheim do.

In this case, you are letting your narrative ignore the facts. Going back to Lydon at center, there was nobody else! There weren't centers to play center, so no centers played.

Going back:

In 14-15 We had senior Christmas in beast mode.

In 15-16 we went to Lydon playing out of position... The only other options were a broken Coleman or a terrible Obokoh.

In 16-17, we had Coleman and we replaced Obokoh with a first year Chukwu, plus Lydon at center had just gotten us a Final Four. Why would we switch?

In 17-18, Chukwu played 27 and Sidibe 12, not many minutes at center for anybody else.

In 18-19, Chukwu, Sidibe and Dolezaj split time at center, but Sidibe and Chukwu, while bad, still played 30mpg.

In 19-20, we had Sidibe play 24mpg, without a backup at all. Dolezaj picked up the slack.

In 20-21, we watched Dolezaj suffer through 35mpg at center, and it was horrible... But let's not pretend this is JB's new thing. We didn't have anybody else. We were hoping Sidibe would recover and play 35, but when he went down again, Edwards and Anselem (partially due to Covid preventing summer practice with the team) weren't up to JB's standards. If we had one of them play to fill in for Sidibe, we would have needed to bench one of Guerrier, Dolezaj or Griffen... Which guy would you have chosen? (During the Sweet Sixteen run, Edwards finally pushed Griffen to the bench, but a season of practices is a lot of experience.)

This upcoming year, we have an obvious rotation of:

Edwards/Anselem/small ball forward in emergency
Swider/Williams/JBJ
BBoeheim/Girard/Torrence

This is what we will see for the vast majority of the minutes.

Only if Sidibe has a clear and dramatic improvement in his health will this lineup change, and then one of Edwards or Anselem get pushed to the deep reserves.

Otherwise, Ajok, Owens and anybody else on the bench get sporadic minutes in blowouts or emergencies.

The only exception to this is if we pick up a late transfer or freshman recruit for deep depth. Whoever it is is unlikely to upset the rotation, as much as we would like a top 50 PG recruit to flip at the last minute. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom