Next year will be a ton of fun | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next year will be a ton of fun

1)A healthy roster
2) True centers
3) Bigger frontcourt
4) More options on offense
5) Experience and player development
6) Possibly better team defense and rebounding?

Last is that the above overcome what we are losing. Ultimately that is what matters. I think that we will be better by way of that. It will come down to seeing how it plays out. I won't sit here and play the game of we lost Kadary and Woody so crash and burn here we come.

I’ll also add way better team chemistry. That doesn’t always guarantee wins but it definitely doesn’t hurt.

Why do people think this team will be better than the last?
Jr is a replica of Marek, or I am expected he be used as such, and will do at least as well as he also adds shooting.
Sidibe will be healthy
Benny is a skilled addition
Swider is a thicker Braz or Woody
Jesse is + another year of development
Symir stabilizes the ball handling, knows his role
TBDs of Q and Frank's status and if that falls in our favor, we are talking seeding instead of bubble in February, but even without them that's a winning team

There are going to be a bunch of games we score 80, I think there will be more games that we give up 80 though.

Our zone will be the worst in its history and something as simple as bringing the ball up will once again be an issue.

This is the definition of subjective as well. Benny isn't a role player, Cole is likely more than a role player too in our system. Jimmy is an experienced addition so yes role player possibly more at times.

There is a lot of let me tell you how you are wrong and stop this BS optimism in posts like this. It isn't getting better till we change everything... Do I have that right?
The transfers are role players

Would you like to wager?
That the zone will be the worst in its history? Which version is the worst right now and what metric(s) will be used to make the determination?

Wager should be profile/board related. You probably don’t want to risk changing your avatar, so something else. Open to ideas.

There are going to be a bunch of games we score 80, I think there will be more games that we give up 80 though.

Our zone will be the worst in its history and something as simple as bringing the ball up will once again be an issue.
You and I were watching a different game when Jess was in at center. Our defense will be better next year on Jess alone. Players on other teams backed away from the hoop when confronted by him. And while i am worried about bringing the ball up against pressure, let's see what we have before we crap our pants about it.

You and I were watching a different game when Jess was in at center. Our defense will be better next year on Jess alone. Players on other teams backed away from the hoop when confronted by him. And while i am worried about bringing the ball up against pressure, let's see what we have before we crap our pants about it.
Jessie is good down there, but we have all new players outside of him and the top of our zone.

Jessie is good down there, but we have all new players outside of him and the top of our zone.
The forwards are new but I don't think this will be that tough. 2 of the 3 have played multiple years of college hoop. One of the two, studied the zone with the coach after every home game this past season. I think he will be okay. the guards and the center is a pretty good place to start with on defense. And the new guys are older except for a 5 star kid.

Doing math on this you must be thinking either a losing season is coming or damn close then?

It's not been great losing a few guys but man we aren't going to crash and burn to the bottom of the conference because of one position and some new guys. I'm not hating but the Cusefan version of PTSD is hitting hard these days. Either that or my meds are just working better lol

Remember XMAS's senior year? Age and experience count for centers. BS's future earnings depend on how he does this season. We know what he did. By ACC time I have high expectations. Chatter is that his lingering problem was more of an infection than injury. If we win the big man battles, hold our own up front and our backcourt outscores the opponents - goodbye bubble.

I’ll also add way better team chemistry. That doesn’t always guarantee wins but it definitely doesn’t hurt.

Yeah. A year like this why take the chance on having unhappy players especially with the way guys are moving around.

No lockerroom drama should translate to a few more wins. Everyone should be reasonably content in their roles.

I'm fine with how things have shaken out despite being a big fan of the 2 freshmen from this past season who left.

Remember when the meme was that we were pining the hopes of the program on a scrub transfer from East Carolina?
How many NCAA tournament games did the team win with Elijah Hughes win?

When did we compete for a conference title with Elijah Hughes?

Hughes prevented us from being complete garbage.

Woo hoo to citing people on being wrong him. I was wrong on Hughes thank goodness I was or we have been under .500.

He wasn’t a transformative player that made us a contender.
He was a kid who worked his butt off and covered holes so we didn’t completely suck.

The frustration around the program is we are irrelevant in the regular season. We have 3 NCAAT runs as double digit seeds. Those are great but they don’t lead to winning it all or competing for a NC.

Winning NCAAT games is great how about a drama free regular season we can actually enjoy and compete for a conference title and make a run as a high seed.

You do a great job at smacking fans who are frustrated down. We aren’t Villanova or Duke fans. If we aren’t a big dog anymore then fine stop pretending we are.

Elijah Hughes had a transfer season he could get acclimated to our program. The take by Phat is completely fair.
I like Swider and he has shown he can score.
Torrence is a question mark and is being tasked with being a role player which is exactly what he said.

Jimmy Jr. sat at home last year and didn’t practice with any team. He worked himself out. His numbers don’t scream anything more than a role player. People don’t have to just automatically assume everything is awesome. He is a role player.

You just want to smack people who don’t drink the kool aid. Go ahead it doesn’t make you right.

Last edited:
Is that something you can anticipate? How do you know team chemistry will be way better? Are you basing that simply on the presence of Jimmy?

Is that something you can anticipate? How do you know team chemistry will be way better? Are you basing that simply on the presence of Jimmy?

Buddy, Joe, Symir and Jimmy all played AAU together and have known each other for years being in the area so, while I don’t know it for sure, I can certainly anticipate it.

This team is going to fall somewhere between 2010 and 2017.

I am relatively confident we are going to generate high volume scoring with very good efficiency.

The question will come down to defense and rebounding (and chemistry).

CDB being healthy OR Frank coming back goes a long way to giving me confidence about both of those things and might be the most important variable for next year. If one of those happens, we will no longer be in double digit seed zone.

Having 2/3 of Benny/Cole/Sy play above expectations (on O & D) is the variable that could get us to 2010 levels, if CDB and/or Frank is full go.

I actually like that all of our forwards will be in their first year in the system because I think that lowers the chance that JB puts them at the 5 (I am assuming Q is gone)

Final prediction relates to Frank staying but if he does I think we could get close to 2010 levels.

1. Sy will be a better ball handler AND shooter than people think (more like Triche than KR)
  2. Cole will shoot as well as buddy on lower volume but board and defend better than people think
  3. Benny is the one I have lower expectations for but if he can give us a poor mans Melo, that’d be cool (not counting on it)
  4. Buddy will not dip (>40% from three and efficient from 2)
  5. Junior will shoot and rebound better than people think and give us Big Rick like moves on the block, though in small doses
  6. Frank could give us the biggest impact on D at the 4/5 since Grant
  7. Edwards will be serviceable and provide good depth and rebounding/D
  8. CDB would be an above average starting Center in every phase of the game if healthy (5th year senior)
  9. Big Joe - Upside call option (do they make downside call options? ;))

Last edited:
1)A healthy roster
2) True centers
3) Bigger frontcourt
4) More options on offense
5) Experience and player development
6) Possibly better team defense and rebounding?

Last is that the above overcome what we are losing. Ultimately that is what matters. I think that we will be better by way of that. It will come down to seeing how it plays out. I won't sit here and play the game of we lost Kadary and Woody so crash and burn here we come.
I will add:
7) Players who actually want to be here.

Buddy, Joe, Symir and Jimmy all played AAU together and have known each other for years being in the area so, while I don’t know it for sure, I can certainly anticipate it.
I'll take a wait and see approach. AAU is pretty different from P5 college.

I'll take a wait and see approach. AAU is pretty different from P5 college.

History and experience shows that chemistry matters even when it comes from AAU/High School (Scoop&Rick, Jonny&Paul). MCW, Cooney, Dion, and Christmas all played together for Team Takeover as well. Even Triche played with Andy as a freshman in both HS and College.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom