Next Year's Back court | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next Year's Back court

Looking at this objectively and NOT as an SU fan, hindsight says he probably should've tested the waters last year before the scouts had a chance to pick apart his weaknesses. That's the problem with the NBA drafting on potential - lots of guys who have no business declaring are just trying to cash in on a one-time six-figure contract, spend a few years in the G League and then be out on the streets. If Oshae demonstrated a better handle and finishing around the rim, then this 2nd year at SU would have made sense. But for whatever reason it's not happening - don't know how much of it is on him vs the staff.

Staff doesn't take the layups. Seems that at best his ability to finish is like a golf club in your bag that gives you wildly different results.

I agree. I thought Hughes would move to 2G next season but I wonder if he is better at the 3/wing. Maybe he’ll develop and be able to play guard. But I think it’ll be Carey, Goodine and Buddy at guard, with Hughes, Brissett, Quincy G and Marek at forward. Quincy and Goodine are the wild cards. Lots of great pieces for next season but also lots of questions.
Those two guard/forward rotations are certainly possible ... in fact that was the lineup I penciled in at first. But at the end of the day, EH is the only one with starting credentials at SG. He's bigger, more versatile offensively and more experienced than Buddy, Goodine or Carey.

In terms of finding the best scoring lineup, moving Hughes off the front line replaces most of Battle's points and experience, and gives JB the opportunity to bookend Brissett and Dolezaj around Sidibe. Sidibe is not the shot-blocking presence that Chukwu is, so having Dolezaj and Brissett there will help. I'm a big MD fan - he has done more than enough to earn a starting spot.

Last edited:
Those two guard/forward rotations are certainly possible ... in fact that was the lineup I penciled in before posting above. But I decided it would be better to put EH at SG because he's the only one with starting credentials there. He's bigger, a more versatile offensively and more experienced, than Buddy, Goodine or Carey.

In terms of finding the best scoring lineup, moving Hughes off the front line replaces most of Battle's points, and gives JB the opportunity to bookend Brissett and Dolezaj around Sidibe. Sidibe is not the shot-blocking presence that Chukwu is, so having Dolezaj and Brissett there will help. I'm a big MD fan - he has done more than enough to earn a starting spot.

Not to mention, Brissett / Dolezaj at forward makes a lot of sense now that Guerrier won't arrive until this summer.

Not bagging on Buddy at all -- I could see him continuing to be part of the rotation this year [man, he really needed the type of game he had Saturday, where the first couple of shots drop], being an even bigger contributor next year, and then a two year starter as an upperclassman.

Looking at this objectively and NOT as an SU fan, hindsight says he probably should've tested the waters last year before the scouts had a chance to pick apart his weaknesses. That's the problem with the NBA drafting on potential - lots of guys who have no business declaring are just trying to cash in on a one-time six-figure contract, spend a few years in the G League and then be out on the streets. If Oshae demonstrated a better handle and finishing around the rim, then this 2nd year at SU would have made sense. But for whatever reason it's not happening - don't know how much of it is on him vs the staff.

His stats were not particularly impressive last season. Late-2nd round would have been his absolute ceiling, and I'm being generous.

Those two guard/forward rotations are certainly possible ... in fact that was the lineup I penciled in at first. But at the end of the day, EH is the only one with starting credentials at SG. He's bigger, more versatile offensively and more experienced than Buddy, Goodine or Carey.

In terms of finding the best scoring lineup, moving Hughes off the front line replaces most of Battle's points and experience, and gives JB the opportunity to bookend Brissett and Dolezaj around Sidibe. Sidibe is not the shot-blocking presence that Chukwu is, so having Dolezaj and Brissett there will help. I'm a big MD fan - he has done more than enough to earn a starting spot.
For Center there is now just Sidibe and Marek. So with the top talent at Forward of Hughes, OB, and Guerrier - I don't think you put Marek and forward at all. You need 10 fouls at center (often times that's not enough).

There are also a good amount of guards in Carey, Buddy, Goodine, and JG3. So I don't think you move Hughes up. I don't think the frosh will start, so:
G - Carey, Buddy (Goodine/JG3)
- Hughes, OB (QG)
C- Marek (Sid)

so as of right now according to forum next year we're looking at a pg turnover machine (1.4/2.1 ratio) with no handle and a 2G who can't shoot or defend (30fg.31%deep) ? by all means play the starters 40 up 20 points.

il_570xN.784078200_pv64.jpg

Last edited:
so as of right now according to forum next year we're looking at a pg turnover machine (1.4/2.1 ratio) with no handle and a 2G who can't shoot or defend (30fg.31%deep) ? by all means play the starters 40 up 20 points.

Players get better.

agree to disagree. playing real minutes real games makes players better. buddy don't miss in practice.

agree to disagree. playing real minutes real games makes players better. buddy don't miss in practice.

Thing is, Carey has played 260 minutes and Buddy 197. That’s not insignificant at all. Do you really think they should play more?

short answer . yes. up double digits second half you reap what you sow. play the future.

short answer . yes.

“Turnover machines and bad shooters” should get more than16 mpg and 12 mpg? This isn’t the pros where you tank for the number 1 pick and play for next year.

if you think carey is gonna tank a 20 point lead in 4 minutes best get back on the recruiting trail pronto.

Ridiculous.

if you think carey is gonna tank a 20 point lead in 4 minutes best get back on the recruiting trail pronto.

An extra 4 minutes is going to “develop” Carey?

I have no idea where you’re going with this. These guys “suck” and we’re in trouble next year but they should play more. Lol.

Buddy can’t shoot...lol.

Goodine is a solid all around player that can score. Has a handle that's probably better then everyone on the team we currently have except battle (not saying much) he is going to surprise some people. If Washington sticks around he has a nice handle and can run point as well. Now add buddy,Carey and JG3 and we are fine at the guard spot. OB, QG, MD, EH and RB at the forward spot and we are good to go. We will be fine at all positions except the 5. We need a big badly. Sidibe is a huge question mark. At this rate it looks like MD might be our best option at the 5 with Sidibe and JBA coming off the bench.

These guys have a short professional career and if the NBA isn’t attainable Europe offers a very nice living. They can always return to school after their playing days are over to finish the degree. The only players that should stay all 4 years are the ones that have no realistic shot at a professional career.

This is why battle and oshae are gone.

Sorry but thats ridiculous and wrong another year of refining their game and bodies could lead to a 10 year NBA career vs punting on one entirely to go make 60k a year in Europe or the G league. Look at a guy like Brodgon. Not to mention if you are trying to crack a roster as a late 2nd UDFA you want to be older and stronger and as good as possible when you hit the summer league the whole potential thing only applies to drafting guys in the first round. After that its all about what can you do right now.

Battle and Oshae didn't come here to launch a Euro career they want to play in the NBA and its not out of the question for either. One needs to improve his shooting and his handle a little. The other needs to finish inside layups better. Both are things that can be done with another year of playing ACC ball.

battle has to assume the reins as alpha. seems like a loner who has to get more assertive early. oshae is a talent i'm just waiting to explode. a little too reliant on the trey so far. he has all the skills to attack inside.

If Buddy doesn't start I'd be shocked.
As much as JB said Buddy would have to earn his minutes, this has proven to be untrue... dad/husband > coach. No chance in hell Buddy comes off the bench... unfortunately.

i truly hope the kid hits 45 % deep and picks up his D . truly. expectations are gonna be high. he knew that.

As much as JB said Buddy would have to earn his minutes, this has proven to be untrue... dad/husband > coach. No chance in hell Buddy comes off the bench... unfortunately.

How has he not earned his minutes vs Pitt or in the ACC? He’s gotten better in league play while the other reserve guard has seemingly forgotten how to play basketball. It’s too early to jump to conclusions about either but we are 4-1 in the ACC not much to second guess right now. JB also has done a good job getting production out of the much maligned center spot last few games.

Buddy isn’t seeing more than 10 mins a night in future seasons unless he consistently sinks threes.

be out on the streets? What does that mean.

For Center there is now just Sidibe and Marek. So with the top talent at Forward of Hughes, OB, and Guerrier - I don't think you put Marek and forward at all. You need 10 fouls at center (often times that's not enough).

There are also a good amount of guards in Carey, Buddy, Goodine, and JG3. So I don't think you move Hughes up. I don't think the frosh will start, so:
G - Carey, Buddy (Goodine/JG3)
- Hughes, OB (QG)
C- Marek (Sid)

Let's see Guerrier make it to campus first before we slot him in on next year's roster...

The fact that he wasn't cleared by the NCAA for the spring semester is concerning,

The reported reasons... That the NCAA couldn't read/translate his transcripts in French in time (over 3 months) to determine he's missing required credits and that team Guerrier and the school didn't know this prior, sounds fishy as hell.

Hopefully he just needs summer school classes, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is all subterfuge for some other problem.

Conspiracy theory, I know... But something about this story doesn't read right...