Next Year's Back court | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Next Year's Back court

Completely disagree with your assessment of Hughes's handle. Hughes handles the ball much more smoothly than Battle, the current guard.

Doesn't mean that Hughes won't remain at 3 or play the bulk of his minutes there, but it certainly won't be for that reason.
I gotta disagree with you on that. No contest that Battle has a better handle that Hughes at this point. But Hughes is fine. His ability to drive to the hoop is underrated.

I gotta disagree with you on that. No contest that Battle has a better handle that Hughes.

Wow. You and I are often on the same page, but I completely disagree.

And Hughes is better by a wide margin -- not even close.

Battle is a more powerful driver with a wider variety of moves. He has an impressive shake and bake along with an unusually quick spin move. He can use his off hand, absorb contact due to his strength and make circus shots. Hughes picks his spots for a drive and is therefore more sneaky. He also has a strong build. Battle is far more aggressive on his drives. Battle can beat most anyone in a one on one situation. Hughes, not so much.

Battle is a more powerful driver with a wider variety of moves. He has an impressive shake and bake along with an unusually quick spin move. He can use his off hand, absorb contact due to his strength and make circus shots. Hughes picks his spots for a drive and is therefore more sneaky. He also has a strong build. Battle is far more aggressive on his drives. Battle can beat most anyone in a one on one situation. Hughes, not so much.

I don't disagree that Battle takes it to the hole better than Hughes has shown thus far, but that is different from ball handling capabilities.

Battle's handle is more mechanical / robotic than Hughes, who is much smoother.

I think ultimately next year comes down to the PG more than anything. We will have a ton of wings as always. We look to have some guards who can play off the ball and shoot. We’ve got a couple really good athletes in the backcourt.

Who can handle the PG spot? Emphasis on “handle”. PG’s who can’t dribble lead to an offense that’s often dead in the water.

We can win with mediocre or even subpar Center play. If we’re only good at the 2, 3, and 4 spots we’ll be a bubble team again. Need a good PG to emerge out of Carey, Goodine, Girard, or Washington.

Gave out (edit) three likes in this thread to the individuals who remembered that Howard Washington is still an SU player. And may end up actually being the best ball handler on the team next year. Whether or not he gets some playing time depends on him of course, but I'm hoping he at least gets a chance. With shooters like Hughes, Buddy, Girard, Brissett, etc. on the squad, it would be nice to have a pass first PG out there once in awhile. Like when other teams choose to zone us.

Last edited:
Gave out two likes in this thread to both individuals who remembered that Howard Washington is still an SU player. And may end up actually being the best ball handler on the team next year. Whether or not he gets some playing time depends on him of course, but I'm hoping he at least gets a chance. With shooters like Hughes, Buddy, Girard, Brissett, etc. on the squad, it would be nice to have a pass first PG out there once in awhile. Like when other teams choose to zone us.

He very well may be the only PG on the team. He’ll be a third year guy. It will be interesting to see what happens.

And to followup, clearly Carey has a ton to offer this team, especially when he settles down with the TOs. If we get some outside shooting as well, bonus. His speed and defense along with the ferocity he attacks the boards makes him indispensable for the future.

And to followup, clearly Carey has a ton to offer this team, especially when he settles down with the TOs. If we get some outside shooting as well, bonus. His speed and defense along with the ferocity he attacks the boards makes him indispensable for the future.

Agreed. I think he will be a great player here. I don’t know about PG though.

If Howard is still here next year (he should be), he will get the backup pg minutes. Natural pg with a shooting touch. the SG spot will be extremely interesting to follow. JB kind of alluded about Hughes going up top. I really see a lineup of JC, Hughes, MD, OB and BS as are starting 5 with Q, Good, Buddy and Howard spelling the guards and forwards...MD backs up BS and hopefully we get a grad transfer or another commit.

If Howard is still here next year (he should be), he will get the backup pg minutes. Natural pg with a shooting touch. the SG spot will be extremely interesting to follow. JB kind of alluded about Hughes going up top. I really see a lineup of JC, Hughes, MD, OB and BS as are starting 5 with Q, Good, Buddy and Howard spelling the guards and forwards...MD backs up BS and hopefully we get a grad transfer or another commit.

Hughes up top can do the same thing that Battle has been doing with moving down to the 3. Keeps that shooting on the floor without too much of a downgrade in rebounding. And we get to keep his weak side blocks.

Will be interesting to see. Hughes looked lost in the zone when he played up top a little bit early in the season when Howard and Carey were both out. I’m sure he could figure it out in time once he practiced up there a lot. If so, we’d potentially be very strong defensively.

I fear we’d be a very poor ball handling team though. I’d feel better about Hughes playing the two next to a Jonny Flynn or a Tyler Ennis...a pure PG who can handle the ball 95% of the time.

Gave out (edit) three likes in this thread to the individuals who remembered that Howard Washington is still an SU player. And may end up actually being the best ball handler on the team next year. Whether or not he gets some playing time depends on him of course, but I'm hoping he at least gets a chance. With shooters like Hughes, Buddy, Girard, Brissett, etc. on the squad, it would be nice to have a pass first PG out there once in awhile. Like when other teams choose to zone us.

Love HW's SU enthusiasm. Similar to Matt Moyer. Unfortunately, Matt did not have sufficient skills for SU. From the brief looks we had of Howard as a frosh, he looked too small and too slow, and so so on his shot.

Really, really hope I am wrong, but that is my objective take, and why I did not mention him in an earlier post. Probably similar for other posters here.

Love HW's SU enthusiasm. Similar to Matt Moyer. Unfortunately, Matt did not have sufficient skills for SU. From the brief looks we had of Howard as a frosh, he looked too small and too slow, and so so on his shot.

Really, really hope I am wrong, but that is my objective take, and why I did not mention him in an earlier post. Probably similar for other posters here.

Sad when 6'3" and the same weight as Marek is considered small. He may have been a tad slow to start, but I thought his reaction time in the zone got better every time I saw him play. Agreed on the shot, but that is likely going to improve as well over time (Hi Frankie!). His form and mechanics are good. He just needs time on the court.

I understand what you are saying here, I really do. But HoWash looks much more like a 'basketball player' than the frenetic athlete I saw that was Matt Moyer.

And he does give the feel of poise with the ball when he's gotten a chance that I got to watch.

I think the shooting will ultimately be the key with him. I agree...he is small and for his size he’s not super quick. He didn’t shoot the ball well in very limited attempts but on the plus side his shot looked decent.

He looks to be a solid ball handler and passer who knows how to play. If he can develop into a good shooter, I think he’ll be a solid option. If not, then he probably doesn’t have enough.

Sad when 6'3" and the same weight as Marek is considered small. He may have been a tad slow to start, but I thought his reaction time in the zone got better every time I saw him play. Agreed on the shot, but that is likely going to improve as well over time (Hi Frankie!). His form and mechanics are good. He just needs time on the court.

I understand what you are saying here, I really do. But HoWash looks much more like a 'basketball player' than the frenetic athlete I saw that was Matt Moyer.

And he does give the feel of poise with the ball when he's gotten a chance that I got to watch.

Is he really 6’3? I didn’t even realize he was listed at that.

I was thinking he was a 6 footer.

Is he really 6’3? I didn’t even realize he was listed at that.

I was thinking he was a 6 footer.

Listed as, but I've never stood next to him. He looks to be at least then when I see him on the bench. Doesn't appear to be small.

How tall is Carey again? I can't remember.

Listed as 6'3" as well. Will have to look to see if they stand near each other tonight.

Last edited:
I don't disagree that Battle takes it to the hole better than Hughes has shown thus far, but that is different from ball handling capabilities.

Battle's handle is more mechanical / robotic than Hughes, who is much smoother.

Sorry but I disagree, too. Smooth doesn't = better. Battle is much more secure with his handle and has a much better ability to get to where he wants to go than Hughes.

Hughes hasn't needed to dribble much at all this year. In fact, I don't recall him ever bringing the ball up the court. Granted I have missed a lot of games but Battle & Howard, our two top ball handlers, are given that responsibility.

Sorry but I disagree, too. Smooth doesn't = better. Battle is much more secure with his handle and has a much better ability to get to where he wants to go than Hughes.

Hughes hasn't needed to dribble much at all this year. In fact, I don't recall him ever bringing the ball up the court. Granted I have missed a lot of games but Battle & Howard, our two top ball handlers, are given that responsibility.

He's done it on breaks several times. Nothing bad to comment on when he does it. He's got the ability. Not sure if it's something he can do facing a strong pressing team with annoying guards though.

In this case, it does equal better.

Hughes is a much more natural dribbler, he handles the ball effortlessly, and he has a better feel for attacking in half court offensive sets off of the bounce. Battle relies on a couple of go-to moves, that he's become quite adept at, but he isn't nearly as natural with the ball in his hands. Tyus has developed his handle to being average, and that in conjunction with his physical capabilities makes him dangerous -- especially in transition. But in terms of handle alone, Hughes is a little bit better than average.

I 100% admit that Hughes defers offensively to the more established players. And that's to his credit -- despite being one of the top scorers, he isn't forcing, he's letting things come in the flow of the game. But there is a difference between "isn't" and "can't" -- and the notion that Hughes doesn't handle the ball well enough to be a 2 isn't remotely accurate.

And SUFan44 and others -- not trying to be argumentative here. Seeing them live / in practice factors into that assessment, as well.

when Frank and Carey were out JB had Battle play the point.

And SUFan44 and others -- not trying to be argumentative here. Seeing them live / in practice factors into that assessment, as well.

Nor am I - fine to disagree. Think Hughes has a fine handle but against pressure I’d trust Battle more. So by my definition I consider Battle’s handle to be better.