Next Year's Back court | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next Year's Back court

Goodine and Carey
Why would JB start a freshman at SG when Hughes is the obvious candidate - with the size, skill and experience - to take over Battle's spot? MD and OB are also presumptive starters at forward, with Guerrier backing up. He and Goodine don't arrive until the summer and the universe would have to be inverted for either of the freshmen to take a starting spot from veteran players like Hughes, MD or OB.

Last edited:
Players get better.
(I know where you where you were going with this, but ...) Eh. Some do. We've seen more than one guy fail to develop here.

Next year is a long way away, though. I'm not even going to take a crack at predicting starters.

Why would JB start a freshman at SG when Hughes is the obvious candidate - with the size, skill and experience - to take over Battle's spot? MD and OB are also presumptive starters at forward, with Guerrier backing up. He and Goodine don't arrive until the summer and the universe would have to be inverted for either of the freshmen to take a starting spot from veteran players like Hughes, MD or OB.
Depends somewhat if OB is back. If OB is back, would imagine Hughes is the starting SG, and sometimes rotates to forward depending on matchup. Then Carey/Buddy/Goodine/JG3 fight it out for playing time. Say that is 60 minutes of time. Easily can say Carey gets 30 min, and 2 of the 3 others split the other 30 minutes. I still have to imagine Carey can improve enough to be the favored PG going into next year.

History on this board would tell us that early predictions are more likely to fail, or at least be downgraded from their original thoughts.

History on this board would tell us that early predictions are more likely to fail, or at least be downgraded from their original thoughts.

Exactly.

This board is filled with slow learner or maybe even no learners.

No matter many how many years of experience demonstrate that some players get better year to year, some stay the same and some actually regress (Roberson?), they cling to the expectation that players will always get better (and blame the coaching staff when they do not)

No matter how many times incoming players fail to measure up to the hype (engendered by So-called recruiting expert Stars, press reports, and YouTube videos), they seem to feel that next year's crop should be the answer.

It usually takes til this part of any season in any year to see what we really have.

Here we have yet another thread in which we are told "How great it's gonna be".

Like I said, "Slow learners or no learners".

Let's see Guerrier make it to campus first before we slot him in on next year's roster...

The fact that he wasn't cleared by the NCAA for the spring semester is concerning,

The reported reasons... That the NCAA couldn't read/translate his transcripts in French in time (over 3 months) to determine he's missing required credits and that team Guerrier and the school didn't know this prior, sounds fishy as hell.

Hopefully he just needs summer school classes, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is all subterfuge for some other problem.

Conspiracy theory, I know... But something about this story doesn't read right...
Guerrier was trying to accelerate coming here. Seems like he should have no problem being here on time, especially if the NCAA tells him why they wouldn't let him come early. Plenty of time now to deal with any of the reasons for not letting him in early.

As for lineups, I think QG is probably the frosh with the potential for the most immediate impact. That's an additional reason I think Marek will play most of his time at center. Multiple good guards may keep JB from moving Eli to guard. A forward rotation of Eli, OB, and QG is stellar.

Depends somewhat if OB is back. If OB is back, would imagine Hughes is the starting SG, and sometimes rotates to forward depending on matchup. Then Carey/Buddy/Goodine/JG3 fight it out for playing time. Say that is 60 minutes of time. Easily can say Carey gets 30 min, and 2 of the 3 others split the other 30 minutes. I still have to imagine Carey can improve enough to be the favored PG going into next year.
Projections are based on OB returning ... which seems to be the consensus. If he jumps, I agree Hughes would stay where he is at SF. Carey and Buddy would become the likely starting guard rotation, with Goodine, Washington and JG3 fighting it out for minutes (I can see JG3 RS'ing either way with so few minutes available).

Last edited:
So what? It's a message board having a discussion about the future starters, with posters having different opinions. Of course some people will be wrong.

I'm surprised by the amount of posters thinking Marek will be at forward. I think it would be a mistake. Currently we only have 2 known centers, in Marek and Sid, and this position seems to be the weak link.

And we have what I think will be an excellent possible trio of forwards in OB, Eli, and QG. And SU has a lot of guards that I hope can get some time (and this is taking into account Battles leaving).

I'm surprised by the amount of posters thinking Marek will be at forward.
I think this is probably due to something JB said in a recent presser about how playing Marek at center would be a mistake. Wouldn't it be true that when Marek is in the game and we have no other center on the floor, Marek isn't playing center? We're actually at that point playing 2 guards and 3 forwards.

Next year, barring Chukwu retrurning, there will likely be times Sidibe is in playing center, and times he is out, Marek is in, and we're not playing a true center position.

Guerrier was trying to accelerate coming here. Seems like he should have no problem being here on time, especially if the NCAA tells him why they wouldn't let him come early. Plenty of time now to deal with any of the reasons for not letting him in early.

As for lineups, I think QG is probably the frosh with the potential for the most immediate impact. That's an additional reason I think Marek will play most of his time at center. Multiple good guards may keep JB from moving Eli to guard. A forward rotation of Eli, OB, and QG is stellar.

I would think the school would know full well what Guerrier's transcripts meant for his eligibility, no?

Higher education and accepting or denying transfer credits is part of their day to day business.

What sort of credit issue would they need to defer to the NCAA on for a ruling??

I'm not saying the argument isn't legitimate, just that I'd like to understand the context.

I"d prefer Hughes at the 3. He's not really an adept ball handler. Same in 10/11-11/12 when it was Scoop, Triche and Joseph.

Brissett at the 4 and if he's not here then Marek at the 4 or Guerrier.

I can certainly see a lineup of Carey, Hughes, Guerrier, Brisset, and a center but I think the ball handling is more limited. I think the team is stronger with Hughes at the 3 and 2 natural guards.

I maybe shouldn't sleep on Girard starting in the backcourt either.

I"d prefer Hughes at the 3. He's not really an adept ball handler. Same in 10/11-11/12 when it was Scoop, Triche and Joseph.

I can certainly see a lineup of Carey, Hughes, Guerrier, Brisset, and a center but I think the ball handling is more limited. I think the team is stronger with Hughes at the 3 and 2 natural guards.

Completely disagree with your assessment of Hughes's handle. Hughes handles the ball much more smoothly than Battle, the current guard.

Doesn't mean that Hughes won't remain at 3 or play the bulk of his minutes there, but it certainly won't be for that reason.

I don't see Goodine or Guerrier starting anywhere, not for this HC. And not when you have seasoned players ahead of them at guard and forward.

Carey and Hughes are far and away the best options at guard, with Buddy backing up Hughes and Goodine/Washington backing up Carey. And I think Hughe's handle is no worse - and possibly better - than Battle's.

At forward, do you really think Guerrier (who's a nice player) will unseat Brissett, or MD. . . as juniors when Guerrier will walk onto an ACC court for the first time?

Last edited:
I think this is probably due to something JB said in a recent presser about how playing Marek at center would be a mistake. Wouldn't it be true that when Marek is in the game and we have no other center on the floor, Marek isn't playing center? We're actually at that point playing 2 guards and 3 forwards.

Next year, barring Chukwu retrurning, there will likely be times Sidibe is in playing center, and times he is out, Marek is in, and we're not playing a true center position.

What? SU always has someone they call a center on the floor. We need to call Marek a center because that is a clearly designated spot on the defense, manning the middle. On defense someone is clearly playing center for SU. They can have different offensive games, from Lydon to Rak, but SU always has someone they call the center.

Ten fouls can go quick. I think there is a huge dropoff after Sid/Marek. No need to even contemplate Marek at forward with Eli, OB, and I am really high on QG. I don't think there is much debate on who people would expect/want to see on the floor between QG or JBA (who looks like the 3rd string center at this point).

Completely disagree with your assessment of Hughes's handle. Hughes handles the ball much more smoothly than Battle, the current guard.

Doesn't mean that Hughes won't remain at 3 or play the bulk of his minutes there, but it certainly won't be for that reason.

I think we're the worst handling team I've ever seen in my life at Syracuse. So yeah, Hughes is the best on a terrible ball handling team. So basically he's around average.

I don't see Goodine or Guerrier starting anywhere, not for this HC. And not when you have 5 seasoned players ahead of them at guard and forward.

Carey and Hughes are far and away the best options at guard, with Buddy backing up Hughes and Goodine/Washington backing up Carey. And I think Hughe's handle is no worse - and possibly better - than Battle's.

At forward, do you really think Guerrier (who's a nice player) will unseat Brissett, or MD? Both are developing and improving and will be in their third year when Guerrier walks onto an ACC court for the first time.

I think Marek is one of the best players on the team.

I think JB likes guards who can penetrate and create and forwards who can really score. If Guerrier can score he'll play a lot. Marek is kind of the ultimate 6th man. Once he's in barely comes out.

I think we're the worst handling team I've ever seen in my life at Syracuse. So yeah, Hughes is the best on a terrible ball handling team. So basically he's around average.

This team is 10x better handling the ball than the 2016 team. Short memory.

Hughes is a pretty good ball handler. He's also the best three point shooter on the team, in terms of game performance. His skill set is more than adequate for the 2.

This team is 10x better handling the ball than the 2016 team. Short memory.

Hughes is a pretty good ball handler. He's also the best three point shooter on the team, in terms of game performance. His skill set is more than adequate for the 2.
Moving Hughes to the 2, makes SU thin at forward, and stresses the center fouls even more if Marek plays any time at forward.
Moving Hughes to guard also clogs up guard minutes what looks to be a good guard group. I'm hoping Buddy/Goodine/and JG3 can get some time while Carey logs big minutes.

The weak link is clearly center and so I think you try and solve that first and work back. If you do that, you can see the value in Hughes remaining at the 3. You would need Sid/Marek at the 5 and that would leave Eli, OB, and QG for main minutes at the forward -with a few for Braswell.

Also I'm in the camp that Hughes' handle is not quite there, and neither is his bball IQ. Of course it could improve, but you would still clog up a ton of guards.

So what? It's a message board having a discussion about the future starters, with posters having different opinions. Of course some people will be wrong.

I'm surprised by the amount of posters thinking Marek will be at forward. I think it would be a mistake. Currently we only have 2 known centers, in Marek and Sid, and this position seems to be the weak link.

And we have what I think will be an excellent possible trio of forwards in OB, Eli, and QG. And SU has a lot of guards that I hope can get some time (and this is taking into account Battles leaving).
I'm all for the discussion and frankly could care less what anyone thinks the lineup will be vs what it ends up being.
I simply made the comment based on many projections made by the posters on this board.

Washington and Girard, not going to happen but I'd like to see it.

I'm an HW fan, next year I think he may become the first player in college basketball history to average less than zero minutes a game. ;)

Last edited:
if buddy keeps coming on he will be the 2g. he is long and he can shoot. he will get stronger.

everybody assumes jalen will start at pg. truthfully, i think his play has regressed as the season has progressed. he will have to step it up next summer to start.

joe g is the wildcard here. he could be anything from bust to star. if goodine has enuf pg skills he could be in the mix.

jalen is still the favorite, but i do not see it as a done deal.

Moving Hughes to the 2, makes SU thin at forward, and stresses the center fouls even more if Marek plays any time at forward.
Moving Hughes to guard also clogs up guard minutes what looks to be a good guard group. I'm hoping Buddy/Goodine/and JG3 can get some time while Carey logs big minutes.

The weak link is clearly center and so I think you try and solve that first and work back. If you do that, you can see the value in Hughes remaining at the 3. You would need Sid/Marek at the 5 and that would leave Eli, OB, and QG for main minutes at the forward -with a few for Braswell.

Also I'm in the camp that Hughes' handle is not quite there, and neither is his bball IQ. Of course it could improve, but you would still clog up a ton of guards.
i really liked your post until you citicized hughes bb iq. imho, he has been our most consistent player and i do not see that he has made any more What plays as compared to others. i think he does his job within the system and plays with very reasonable smarts.

i really liked your post until you citicized hughes bb iq. imho, he has been our most consistent player and i do not see that he has made any more What plays as compared to others. i think he does his job within the system and plays with very reasonable smarts.
I agree on your assessment of Hughes. He is the most efficient player on the team, not to mention our best 3 pt. shooter. Always seems to take good shots. Love his drives to the hoop and he can score with his left hand...