Next Year's Starting PG...... | Syracusefan.com

Next Year's Starting PG......

newmexicuse

All Conference
I will go on record and say it will not be Jalen. Jimmy obviously has no confidence in Jalen or he would have gotten him some second half run. Buddy so badly need some bench time, and that did not happen. How is a kid who has been with the team for an entire season and is deemed unworthy of a 3 minute second half appearance gonna be our starter ?

I do not believe that HW has ACC caliber starter level talent.

That leaves Joe or Goodine as the favorites in my mind.

So here are my odds:

Joe 50% - Somehow i just gotta believe that when Joe was being recruited he was told he would be given a shot @ PG.
Goodine 30% - probably the most talented of the four athletically, but his game may be more suited to being a swing man.
Carey 15% - He was the anointed one, but his lack of being a three point shooter and his being plagued by TOs means he will have to make an absolutely quantum jump to start.
HW 5% - He can caretake for a few minutes here or there, but he is way too limited athletically for a larger role.

I will go on record and say it will not be Jalen. Jimmy obviously has no confidence in Jalen or he would have gotten him some second half run. Buddy so badly need some bench time, and that did not happen. How is a kid who has been with the team for an entire season and is deemed unworthy of a 3 minute second half appearance gonna be our starter ?

So here are my odds:

Joe 50% - Somehow i just gotta believe that when Joe was being recruited he was told he would be given a shot @ PG.
Goodine 30% - probably the most talented of the four athletically, but his game may be more suited to being a swing man.
Carey 15% - He was the anointed one, but his lack of being a three point shooter and his being plagued by TOs means he will have to make an absolutely quantum jump to start.
HW 5% - He can caretake for a few minutes here or there, but he is way too limited athletically for a larger role.
Since there has been rumors, which hopefully won't be true, about two of your four, you might want to throw grad transfer up there as well.

So here are my odds:

It will be Jalen Carey in my opinion. In HS he could shoot and was a really good offensive player. I have no explanation for what we say this year but he is a really hard working kid and I think will bounce back and be good next year. Goodine could get some minutes as the PG as well. I think it will be JC/Buddy/Goodine as the 3 guards that get the playing time. JG3 will not play much year 1. HW has an outside shot because he brings the past first pg element.

1*Dq6op92iDjsbAm0HRn2H4Q.jpeg

Unless one of the freshman is the next Ennis, Carey should be the starter.

JB has been positive about Carey from the standpoint he is a hard worker and getting better. He has also added he just isn't ready for college level. That doesn't mean he thinks Carey is a lost cause.

He didn't spend his bench time next to JB because it was the only seat available. He was being mentored every game.

Since there has been rumors, which hopefully won't be true, about two of your four, you might want to throw grad transfer up there as well.

I've heard the rumor that Carey will be transferring...

Are you saying that Washington may do the same?? Hadn't heard that one... or maybe he might be hanging it up after his stroke episode?

Hoping Carey sticks it out and improves his handle and awareness because the talent is there, but if not, we will not have an ACC caliber PG on the roster next year (we arguably didn't this year either), and it's scary to think about. Usually someone steps up, but this is not usual SU bball times.

Are you saying that Washington may do the same?? Hadn't heard that one... or maybe he might be hanging it up after his stroke episode?

Been seeing this rumor on blog posts but not sure if any insiders have heard this rumor about Carey transferring or if it has any validity. Don’t really see the logic behind it since he would have to sit a year but never know what an 19 year old is thinking.

Any insider insight would be great but i hope he stays!!!

I'd like to think Carey will be the point but, other than the UConn game, he has showed next to nothing as a point guard or a scorer. He is definitely not a shooter (maybe a volume scorer at best). He's quick but not in a good way (bad decision making). At this point I'm thinking he's more like Kaleb Joseph than Sherman Douglas. If I'm JB I'd get a grad transfer point guard just in case.

I don't remember the last game that he was allowed to play thru more than one mistake.

Now, in fairness to Jimmy, Jalen's play did not inspire confidence, but there were an awful lot of DNPs and the leash was measured in nanometers.

I would like to see him back and competing for a role, but if he transfers that is on Jimmy. If I were him I would have second thoughts about playing for a coach who did not believe in his talent.

Haven't you heard every freshman who doesn't play much is rumored to transfer. Just ask the kid from 4 years ago. That's easy, he's still at SU. A lot of people said he had no chance to play pg

I don't remember the last game that he was allowed to play thru more than one mistake.

Now, in fairness to Jimmy, Jalen's play did not inspire confidence, but there were an awful lot of DNPs and the leash was measured in nanometers.

I would like to see him back and competing for a role, but if he transfers that is on Jimmy. If I were him I would have second thoughts about playing for a coach who did not believe in his talent.

I suppose.

I think it's the turnovers that puts him in JB's dog house.

If Buddy can do 40 mins last night with no offense and be repeatedly exposed on late slides for points and not get the yank, that says something in comparison. Either he hates turnovers or it's nepotism.

I think it's the former, because he's benched Frank numerous times this year for turnover foibles.

It will be Jalen Carey in my opinion. In HS he could shoot and was a really good offensive player. I have no explanation for what we say this year but he is a really hard working kid and I think will bounce back and be good next year. Goodine could get some minutes as the PG as well. I think it will be JC/Buddy/Goodine as the 3 guards that get the playing time. JG3 will not play much year 1. HW has an outside shot because he brings the past first pg element.

I'm guessing Carey is going to transfer. Just don't see somebody who was left in the doghouse that long after being a higher end recruit sticking around. If he does stay I doubt he plays much next year, and he'll be gone that year.

I'd be surprised if Carey is here next year.

I'm guessing Carey is going to transfer. Just don't see somebody who was left in the doghouse that long after being a higher end recruit sticking around. If he does stay I doubt he plays much next year, and he'll be gone that year.

You can't be serious.

What? Have you watched Syracuse basketball for the past few decades? It’s very tough for freshman point guards to come in and run this team successfully. Ennius did it. GMac did it. Before that Jason Hart and Red Autry we’re able to do it. But we’ve had just as many guys that had to wait to run the show (Sherm, MCW, Z).

The story isn’t written on Jalen. He controls his own destiny. It’s there for the taking if he reaches up and grabs it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom