Next Year's Starting PG...... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next Year's Starting PG......

Carey is already a much better defender than Frank. We have more players next year should run, press and play uptempo. Washington can back up Carey and have a mix of three guys at the 2.

Your posts here absurd and I usually like your posts. The kid said he's not transferring has posted how excited he is for next year and stands in line to start. What else do you need?

I very well could be wrong, it's a gut feeling, I'm not staying what I'm saying is fact, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he did. We've seen other guys leave being in a good spot for the next year.

I very well could be wrong, it's a gut feeling, I'm not staying what I'm saying is fact, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he did. We've seen other guys leave being in a good spot for the next year.
It would be the most surprising transfer ever.

Tauren Thompson wasn't surprising? Guy actually played, and played well and would've started as long as he was here and he bailed.

I’d put Matt Roe at number 1. Two year starter and he only had one year left.

In an alternate universe he stays, Kenny Anderson comes here, and the 1990 team goes down as one of the greatest of all time.

Tauren Thompson wasn't surprising? Guy actually played, and played well and would've started as long as he was here and he bailed.
Not. Really considering his odd recruitment and mom.

Not. Really considering his odd recruitment and mom.

I'm not going to do it because I don't have to, but I'm sure if I dug around your posts (and not calling just you out, everybody is guilty), nobody was ready for that transfer, he was actually good for us, played, got along well with teammates, and his attitude showed nothing saying he was going to leave. Less than a month ago Jalen was posting "dueces" before he took it down, a lot fo time there is smoke where there is fire.

I'm not going to do it because I don't have to, but I'm sure if I dug around your posts (and not calling just you out, everybody is guilty), nobody was ready for that transfer, he was actually good for us, played, got along well with teammates, and his attitude showed nothing saying he was going to leave. Less than a month ago Jalen was posting "dueces" before he took it down, a lot fo time there is smoke where there is fire.
There is a difference between ready and surprised. Considering his mom didn't want him coming here and the fact she controld his life not sure anyone was shocked.

Carey is already a much better defender than Frank. We have more players next year should run, press and play uptempo. Washington can back up Carey and have a mix of three guys at the 2.

If he was a better defender than Frank why didn't he play against Baylor when they were torching us?

There is a difference between ready and surprised. Considering his mom didn't want him coming here and the fact she controld his life not sure anyone was shocked.

You're going to make me look for posts of yours about his transfer? I'm willing to bet anything you were shocked to say the least.

He's going to get plenty of pt next year. He came to a team with a senior pg and a Jr who was one of the best players in the country he knew pt would be scarce.
No. He was told that Battle would be gone, Frank would be the 2G, and he would start. That's what he signed up for.

You're going to make me look for posts of yours about his transfer? I'm willing to bet anything you were shocked to say the least.
I don't remember exactly what I posted. I was disappointed not shocked at all.

What? Have you watched Syracuse basketball for the past few decades? It’s very tough for freshman point guards to come in and run this team successfully. Ennius did it. GMac did it. Before that Jason Hart and Red Autry we’re able to do it. But we’ve had just as many guys that had to wait to run the show (Sherm, MCW, Z).

The story isn’t written on Jalen. He controls his own destiny. It’s there for the taking if he reaches up and grabs it.

Jason Hart played every game because we had no one else. But he struggled mightily. And he was more often unsuccessful. What he could do from day one though was play defense. And by his junior year he was also able to run our offense.

Any grad transfers available because I think that might be our best option at this point.

Yeah, didn’t he make an Instagram post or something saying he’s staying and knows it takes hard work, or something along those lines?

Also, I’d say he’s got the best shot at the job. I also know I’m in the minority, but I really like Washington’s game. He in my eyes could end up being the odd man out though, and that would stink if he were to leave. Smart lead guard, and has future coach written all over him. We need a leader like that as an upper class man on this team!
I see a lot of positive talk about Washington in here. Besides rooting for him, which we all are, what has he shown on the court that makes anyone believe he can be our PG answer?

Yes, I agree he looks like he’s the steady hand type but he also lacks athleticism and explosion, and hasn’t shown any ability as a shooter/scorer. He had a whopping 10 assists as a freshman, and 7 turnovers. Not exactly numbers that should make anyone think he’s the answer.

Honestly, what we don’t need is another slower footed lead guard that struggles to beat guys off the bounce, and isn’t a great shooter. This is a different game; we need a guy that can handle the ball well, has the quickness and ability to win with his dribble and can also shoot the ball relatively well. Look at every single quality or better P5. They have quick athletes with good handles or a really good shooter. It’s hard to be successful at this level without the athleticism or scoring/shooting ability. Can he play some minutes here and there, sure. But as a lead guard and potential starter, I just find it hard to believe he’s the caliber we need.

It will be Jalen Carey in my opinion. In HS he could shoot and was a really good offensive player. I have no explanation for what we say this year but he is a really hard working kid and I think will bounce back and be good next year. Goodine could get some minutes as the PG as well. I think it will be JC/Buddy/Goodine as the 3 guards that get the playing time. JG3 will not play much year 1. HW has an outside shot because he brings the past first pg element.
Good assessment.

I'd be surprised if Girard isn't the starter at PG. He's a really tough kid, can get to the basket and shoot it from anywhere. The thought of having 3 deadly outside shooters on the floor at the same time with Girard, Buddy and Hughes is enticing. That will be tough to guard.

If he was a better defender than Frank why didn't he play against Baylor when they were torching us?
Eh, he got Boeheim-ed. You know how that goes. Don’t agree with the decision, but Jalen didn’t earn JB’s trust this year for whatever reason (bad PG play and turnovers, I assume). But JB has shown again and again he will wipe the slate clean between seasons if a kid can get it together and improve. Plus we already had 3 guards in the rotation once Buddy established himself, and that’s as far as he usually goes. (Of course then the tourney came—and oops we were down to only 2 guards again.)

No. He was told that Battle would be gone, Frank would be the 2G, and he would start. That's what he signed up for.
Actually I believe they told him he would replace Battle at 2G and apprentice under Howard as backup PG. They told him he would still need to learn the position.

Any grad transfers available because I think that might be our best option at this point.

I don’t agree with that at all.

We’ve got two promising freshmen plus Carey who was a big time recruit.

You don’t stunt their growth and/or toss them to the side for a grad transfer.

The years where we took a grad transfer were completely different circumstances than this.

We will be young in the backcourt next year, but we could have a heck of a backcourt down the road as these guys grow and improve.

Eh, he got Boeheim-ed. You know how that goes. Don’t agree with the decision, but Jalen didn’t earn JB’s trust this year for whatever reason (bad PG play and turnovers, I assume). But JB has shown again and again he will wipe the slate clean between seasons if a kid can get it together and improve. Plus we already had 3 guards in the rotation once Buddy established himself, and that’s as far as he usually goes. (Of course then the tourney came—and oops we were down to only 2 guards again.)

The kid turned the ball over at a significantly higher rate than any SU guard I can remember. There’s good reason he didn’t earn JBs trust. He had a golden opportunity all November and December, getting tons of minutes. He just wasn’t ready.

Hopefully he can take care of the ball and learn how to play at this level, because he has elite athleticism.

The kid turned the ball over at a significantly higher rate than any SU guard I can remember. There’s good reason he didn’t earn JBs trust. He had a golden opportunity all November and December, getting tons of minutes. He just wasn’t ready.

Hopefully he can take care of the ball and learn how to play at this level, because he has elite athleticism.
From the start of ACC play onward, here are Jalen's stats:
13 games played
15 points
5 assists
16 turnovers

I hope Jalen figures it out - but if I'm JG3, HW or Goodine - I'm working my tail off, because there might be an opportunity to win the point guard spot if Jalen doesn't show significant improvement over his first year performance.

I'd be surprised if Girard isn't the starter at PG. He's a really tough kid, can get to the basket and shoot it from anywhere. The thought of having 3 deadly outside shooters on the floor at the same time with Girard, Buddy and Hughes is enticing. That will be tough to guard.
Only thing that might prevent Girard from winning a starting job (he could start at either guard spot) is the transition from playing in a lower tier high school to playing against high major college talent. It’s a big jump to go from playing against Lowville’s defense to against UVA.

I’m super excited at the potential that JGIII brings, but I’m grounded in realistic expectations on day 1.

I fully expect Carey and Buddy to be our starting backcourt to start the year. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if JGIII or Goodine pushes them for playing time, or eventually start if the incumbents aren’t producing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom