Next Year's Starting PG...... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Next Year's Starting PG......

Goodine is the best Guard we have recruited in a very long time. He is exceptional. JG3 is a total gym rat super leader great competitor who is going to find his way onto the court. JC is a prototypical NYC baller who needs to play fast. He loves to run. Buddy can shoot, has an excellent Basketball IQ,
Howard is probably the only true PG on the roster and much better than he gets credit for. These guys can all play.
Tough choice to make but on paper by the end of the year the one kid that i definitely see starting is Goodine.
Long and Quick as a defender. Can beat you off the dribble or with a 3. Great athleticism. He is the one guy out of the bunch that has it all.

Watching this stand around offense they need a PG that can penetrate (drive to hoop or pass) because if he doesn't no one will be open unless they decide to move without the ball which sadly, they have not done well in years.

Add to this...their fast breaks have struggled and having someone that can do this correctly would help but that works w/ the D getting turnovers or rebounds. This is huge when the O is struggling. It just seems to me that Boeheim either hasn't had the talent to do so or he has started to value each possession a lot more than he used to years ago and doesn't want to speed up the game. I could see how this would affect Carey mentally and make him less confident thus struggling at something he was good at doing before.

Someone pointed out Jason Hart before and he was forced into playing before he was ready but Boeheim had to ride it out...same to a point for Frank last year, no choice. It's going to be interesting to see which of these guards has the stones to be out there and be able to handle the quick hook and learn and improve as the season progresses. This isn't easy for players that have always had success...like a valedictorian going to Harvard and getting a C or a D for the first time...how are they going to handle failure? IMO, the one that does this and can progress/learn will start.

Four candidates, four very different skill sets / capabilities.

Carey
Pros:

• Speed
  • Scoring aptitude
  • Has tools to be + defender up top
  • Semi-experienced
Cons:
  • Frosh year was an unmitigated disaster
  • He showed very little confidence in his handle
  • Turnover prone
  • Can he be a lead guard?

Goodine
Pros:

• Elite athleticism
  • Being groomed at HS level to play lead guard
  • Defensive potential
Cons:
  • Converting to lead guard
  • Can he run a team?
  • Can he shoot?

Washington
Pros:

• Pure point
  • Has some game experience
  • Has shown ability to shoot
Cons:
  • Injuries -- can he stay healthy?
  • Size
  • Can he defend adequately?
  • Is his "potential" limited to being a reserve?

Girard
Pros:

• Elite shooter
  • Multi-sport athlete
  • Winner - carried team to state championships in two different sports
  • Confidence
Cons:
  • Played off the ball in AAU
  • Average athleticism
  • Size
  • Playmaking aptitude?
  • Better as an off the bench scorer than a starter?

It is highly unusual to have four different players, with such divergent attributes. I'm actually excited to see how this competition unfolds. Competition breeds better play, and I'd expect that the presence of incoming Goodine / Girard is going to push Carey this offseason.

I'm inclined to think that this is the biggest, most impactful question mark we have going into next year. How will the point guard puzzle gets solved is going to go a long way toward determining how next year's team performs.

May the best player win the PT.

I'd be surprised if Girard isn't the starter at PG. He's a really tough kid, can get to the basket and shoot it from anywhere. The thought of having 3 deadly outside shooters on the floor at the same time with Girard, Buddy and Hughes is enticing. That will be tough to guard.

I would be head-sewn-to-the-floor stunned. Kid's probably the worst defender on the team (worse at least than Buddy, Carey, and Howard Washington) and totally new to the program after years of playing against low-level high school competition. If people like Kaleb Joseph and Jalen Carey can't be trusted to step in after a month of practice and run the offense, I can't see how this kid would be.

Girard
Pros:

• Elite shooter
  • Multi-sport athlete
  • Winner - carried team to state championships in two different sports
  • Confidence
Cons:
  • Played off the ball in AAU
  • Average athleticism
  • Size
  • Playmaking aptitude?
  • Better as an off the bench scorer than a starter?

Appreciate your analysis as always.

In this case, it seems that the less-athletic kid earns some intangible merit badges to fill the void, if you will. Winner, confidence...eh. They're all confident. I assume they've all had their fair share of winning (we don't usually get high-level recruits from losing programs, if not state champions).

And while I personally prize the multi-sport kids -- I think these young kids get way too hyper-specialized and admire the heck out of families and educators who support talented students in their broad set of interests, including those who want to play two or three sports -- I'm not convinced that this doesn't place them at a competitive disadvantage to collegiate peers who are playing this particular sport for 52 weeks a year.

But I'm excited to see what everyone can do; I hope all the guards get some early minutes. Pre-conference games are more fun when we get to see that diversity of skills. Though I guess this'll be the shortest pre-conference in 15 years, down to 11 games because of the longer ACC schedule if I'm not mistaken.

We have not had a point guard since Ennis left. I hope Cary is ready, assuming he does not transfer.

Carey
Cons:

• He showed very little confidence in his handle

i'd say the problem was he showed way too much confidence in his handle, even as the evidence against it continued to pile up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom