NFL Thread - 2018 | Page 171 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2018

Wait, you were saying the last time I was here that the league favors the Pats and the evidence is that they are last in the league in penalties on offense and defense but first on special teams. Isn't it the same refs calling penalties on special teams as on offense and defense. I mean, aren't they in on it all of the time?

That’s almost correct, and it played out exactly that way...They have to call something on the Patriots, and so they ring them up on Special Teams...

Last night the Patriots were called for 1 penalty in the 1H, one of their patented, sham Offensive Holding penalties on Special Teams (punts). They don’t mind these calls because it doesn’t change the game, take away a big play for them, or create a long down/distance for them. They lead the league (by a lot) in % of penalties that come on STs, so those players get very undisciplined in that phase (or there’s something else going on).

I also found another interesting pattern...the Patriots were never called for Offensive Holding unless they were up by two scores (9 points), except twice against the Steelers. Again, it seems as though there is something going on.

Last night the Patriots never got up by two scores so they weren’t called for Offensive Holding. Oh, did their trick where, once the Patriots have committed another penalty (Illegal Hands to the Face with 2 mins left) they suddenly become crazy and commit multiple fouls on the same play, so they dropped a second flag ona play for Gronk holding, which is obviously meaningless given the other penalty.

It’s easy to win when the other team gets called for holding on a big drive in the 2H with the game on the line, and you never do. Which is what happened here.

Any outside chance Edelman had to make the HOF ended with his PEDs suspension.

This ain’t the 80s NFL when every player juiced in the open.

There will be other borderline WRs competing with Edelman for the HOF who pee’d clean.

Well, data is data...not some crazy thoughts.

The scientific method involves coming up with a thesis, then testing it with data, and proving it using that data.

I definitely don't care enough this to go about "proving it", but in limited time testing the data, every one of my theses about the Patriots and their penalties has been "true".

I know that's inconvenient, but I can't change that. The NFL provides the data, just that noone looks at it...keep in mind they burned tapes, etc.

You may/definitely fail to consider how much money/value is involved in all this...
Yes, data is data. But your conclusion doesn't pass the smell test. This is probably the 18th time I've said this on this board. There is no way a league 'conspiracy' would not have had its cover blown. There is just no way. It's not inconvenient. It's nonsensical.

If there was an edict from above to protect the Patriots (or any other team), it would come out. The POTUS was brought down because someone talked. And that was the United States of America. Not a freaking game.

You post (over and over again) the league is a fraud. You conclusion is a fraud.

Any outside chance Edelman had to make the HOF ended with his PEDs suspension.

This ain’t the 80s NFL when every player juiced in the open.

There will be other borderline WRs competing with Edelman for the HOF who pee’d clean.

I agree with you but for some reason nobody makes much of a big deal about juicers in the NFL.

I agree with you but for some reason nobody makes much of a big deal about juicers in the NFL.

Only the ones who get caught.

(And when the League needs to feign integrity)

It's called body of work. In no way is Edelman close. Can't even begin to discuss him. Can we talk about what the HOF should consider for a standard???

I don’t even know what it is. There’s some guys not in who deserve to be in. Isaac Bruce for example and there’s other guys who have no business being in.

Kevin Mawae? At never in any point of his career did I think of him as a dominant lineman.

Ken Stabler? Was that to make Raider fans happy?

Jerome Bettis? Was never the most dominant back in the league and all he did was run I put he middle.

I HAVE run the numbers...it's not good for the Patriots, NFL, or fans who want to believe there's a legitimate competition happening...

I've said there are two issues with Patriots games...the timing and type of penalty called...I've focused on Offensive Holding because it's the most Discretionary penalty there is, and often called by the lead Referee...

Turns out the Patriots often receive a predominance of their Offensive Holding penalites on Special Teams, when they want them...THIS LEGITIMATELY HAPPENED TONIGHT. First Half, only one penalty, a Special Teams Holding Penalty.

Then I said, hey, as a Bills fan, I've noticed they seem to backweight the Patriots penalties...here's the data:

1) Out of 32 NFL teams, ONE went the entire season (19 games) without an Offensive Holding penatly in the First Q. You guessed it...Patriots. Let 'em get a lead. Every team had one in the first 6 weeks, except the Rams...all the way to week 14...hmmmmmmm

2) The Patriots then had SIX Holding penalties in the 2Q all season...one was on a FG vs the Bills, 56 yards that missed by a mile (a HOLDING PENALTY on a FG? Oh, it missed let's drop one)...then in the Colts game they called TWO holding penalties on a play when they'd already called Tripping...sooooo, decline the two Holding penalites...they literally called THREE holding penalties on the Patriots ALL SEASON in the first half...

3) What's worse? You might figure the Patriots lagged the NFL averate of holding penalties per game...but not at all. 23 vs 22.8, right on the average. What happened??!?!? As SOON as the Patriots were up two scores in the 2H, the flags started flying...EXCEPT for two against Pittsburgh, late in the season, when the Steelers needed to make the playoffs.

So, all season, the Patriots were never flagged for Holding unless they were up by TWO SCORES.

That is total BS...and not some inconvenient coincidence.

League is a fraud, plain and simple, and Kraft is at the top of it.

(BTW, all this data is completely accurate and available, they just hope you won't sift through it).
Thank you some one else who gets it big picture. Completely agree with you especially on holding. Look no further than the calls last night. Phantom holding that killed the Rams drive. Not even sure why I watch this fake garbage

That’s almost correct, and it played out exactly that way...They have to call something on the Patriots, and so they ring them up on Special Teams...

Last night the Patriots were called for 1 penalty in the 1H, one of their patented, sham Offensive Holding penalties on Special Teams (punts). They don’t mind these calls because it doesn’t change the game, take away a big play for them, or create a long down/distance for them. They lead the league (by a lot) in % of penalties that come on STs, so those players get very undisciplined in that phase (or there’s something else going on).

I also found another interesting pattern...the Patriots were never called for Offensive Holding unless they were up by two scores (9 points), except twice against the Steelers. Again, it seems as though there is something going on.

Last night the Patriots never got up by two scores so they weren’t called for Offensive Holding. Oh, did their trick where, once the Patriots have committed another penalty (Illegal Hands to the Face with 2 mins left) they suddenly become crazy and commit multiple fouls on the same play, so they dropped a second flag ona play for Gronk holding, which is obviously meaningless given the other penalty.

It’s easy to win when the other team gets called for holding on a big drive in the 2H with the game on the line, and you never do. Which is what happened here.
It's interesting that this billion dollar industry called Professional football is willing to risk it all to have one team win. When your "findings" are discovered, the entire professional football world will be nothing more than the WWE. And my, how do they keep all of the people who must be in on it quiet? It it truly an insane belief.

Thank you some one else who gets it big picture. Completely agree with you especially on holding. Look no further than the calls last night. Phantom holding that killed the Rams drive. Not even sure why I watch this fake garbage

Really don’t want to hear it. I was told as a Saints fan we were all whining after the game 2 weeks ago. The Rams played the worst offensive game anyone had played in 5 years last night. They were awful.

League is an absolute fraud...

Holding penalty on key drive on Rams.

As my data has predicted, only penalty on Patriots in 1H was the SPECIAL TEAMS offensive holding penalty...that's what they want.

League is an absolute fraud and it's too bad.

We've all been framed...
Agreed

Goff also threw a medicine ball in Patriots territory on 2nd down that was intercepted. I guess that was a fix too.

Edelman’s career numbers are almost identical to Peerless Price, who retired at 31 and was a meh player up until that point.
So you’re saying he was misnamed.

I thought that holding call was one of the biggest plays of the game. Rams had momentum and were in NE territory late to potentially take the lead and then the holding call basically killed their drive and helped with field position. Replay and announcers couldn't find the hold and even if there was a hold it where they threw the flag wasn't impactful to the play at all. No reason to throw the flag.

Frustrating watching as a fan because it seems Patriots always get breaks like those in big games that will either keep one of their drives alive or kill their opponents drives but just get swept up and lost in the flow of the game.

It's interesting that this billion dollar industry called Professional football is willing to risk it all to have one team win. When your "findings" are discovered, the entire professional football world will be nothing more than the WWE. And my, how do they keep all of the people who must be in on it quiet? It it truly an insane belief.

The NFL is using the Patriots to try Howard Stern's business model:

At his peak (pre-subscription radio) Stern had just as many (if not more) listeners who hated him than those who loved him. They tuned into hear his next controversial or indecent bit.

The NFL is clearly using the Patriots to facilitate the same obsession. Pats fans watch out of love but more people tune in to rage against them (and hope they lose). Win/win for the NFL.

/sarcasm

Really don’t want to hear it. I was told as a Saints fan we were all whining after the game 2 weeks ago. The Rams played the worst offensive game anyone had played in 5 years last night. They were awful.

It really was staggering how horrible Goff looked. The interception was such a bad decision. Flores and BB ran circles around McVay's offense.

Perfect example of how lethal the Brady Belichick combination is. It's one thing to play and try to beat one all time great but a completely different animal to have to beat two all time greats. Last night the Rams beat Brady but couldn't beat Belichick. Brady is obviously incredible and one of the all time greats but he's benefitted from Belichick's brilliance more than people seem to want to recognize with this year's postseason run being an example.

Last edited:
Goff played and looked bad, but so did the Patriots. The score was 3-3 with the Rams driving and they called a holding penalty on a 13 yard carry.

They never called such a penalty on the Patriots, they simply don't do that.

First quarter they kept a drive alive, calling a 15-yard Roughness when facing a 3rd and 18...but on the previous drive the Patriots had similarly blown up a "defenseless receiver" for the Rams, a guy who was actually prone from trying to dive and catch the ball.

The Rams have two of the fiercest D-lineman in the league, but their line was called for zero holding penalties in the game. If, on New England's game-winning TD drive they'd thrown a holding flag and brought back a 30-yard completion, that would have been a big deal. And those were not quick hits, they were long-developing plays, so that's not a cop-out.

If they don't flag the Rams, and DO flag the Patriots, there is a high probability the outcome is different.

As for how this "conspiracy" could be kept quiet amongst owners, mgmt and refs, well that's where the Billions of dollars comes in.

And DeflateGate really was an attempt to ease pressure or deflect from the conspiracy. There really is no other explanation for the ridiculousness of that process.

I don’t even know what it is. There’s some guys not in who deserve to be in. Isaac Bruce for example and there’s other guys who have no business being in.

Kevin Mawae? At never in any point of his career did I think of him as a dominant lineman.

Ken Stabler? Was that to make Raider fans happy?

Jerome Bettis? Was never the most dominant back in the league and all he did was run I put he middle.

Mawae seems fine. Fairly impossible for the average fan to judge an interior lineman, especially before PFF and things like that existed. He was on the all-decade team, 8 pro bowls, 3 1st team all-pro selections and 4 or 5 more where he was 1st team by other sources. That's a pretty extended run of major achievements. Agree on the others. Isaac Bruce on the other hand had 1 1st team all-pro season and half the pro bowls, not that those are some huge meaningful thing, but still. Definitely agree with Stabler and Bettis. They can hang out with Harold Baines in the Hall of Very Good but get them the hell out of the Hall of Fame.

Goff played and looked bad, but so did the Patriots. The score was 3-3 with the Rams driving and they called a holding penalty on a 13 yard carry.

They never called such a penalty on the Patriots, they simply don't do that.

First quarter they kept a drive alive, calling a 15-yard Roughness when facing a 3rd and 18...but on the previous drive the Patriots had similarly blown up a "defenseless receiver" for the Rams, a guy who was actually prone from trying to dive and catch the ball.

The Rams have two of the fiercest D-lineman in the league, but their line was called for zero holding penalties in the game. If, on New England's game-winning TD drive they'd thrown a holding flag and brought back a 30-yard completion, that would have been a big deal. And those were not quick hits, they were long-developing plays, so that's not a cop-out.

If they don't flag the Rams, and DO flag the Patriots, there is a high probability the outcome is different.

As for how this "conspiracy" could be kept quiet amongst owners, mgmt and refs, well that's where the Billions of dollars comes in.

And DeflateGate really was an attempt to ease pressure or deflect from the conspiracy. There really is no other explanation for the ridiculousness of that process.

Listen there's no conspiracy here. If I wanted to cry conspiracy after the NFC title game I could have with the way my team got screwed over.

There are always some calls that could go either way. The Rams had penalties that weren't called as well. You just don't make as big a deal of it. Robey-Coleman held Edelman on one sideline play and it wasn't called. It was a 15 yard pass on 3rd down.

The Rams played atrocious. Holding call or not they had a chance to make up for it, but Goff through a ball that stayed in the air for an hour off his back foot. I do not feel bad for the Rams. They didn't deserve to be there in the first place.

I guess Lane Johnson playing in the SB last year after a PED suspension was okay though.
The butt hurtness of the media is a joke.
They want to change the OT rules after it happens with the Pats and not the Chiefs.
Were they even able to identify what he(Edelman) tested positive for? I remember there being all sorts of quirky things going on with his testing and results, don't remember specs.

Goff was visibility shaking during the national anthem. So... don’t know if that is good or bad.
Yep.

Just another regular season stat boy donkey jockey.

It worked for me though, pats and the under.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom