NFL Thread - 2018 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2018

You can separate the two issues and that's what they're doing. Solving the bad cop activity, aka killing citizens, would be a giant step forward for society as a whole. Why can't we start with the people that are supposed to uphold the law and are basically in charge of everyone, since they answer to no one?

I'd say that should be way easier than getting criminals to obey the law, because they generally don't. I mean, this shouldn't be that confusing right?

You sound as if you think the cops go into these communities looking to kill people for the hell of it. Of course it might help the cops if the vast majority of crime wasn't committed in very concentrated areas. You think you might have a quick trigger or a negative outlook on life in general if your beat was essentially a war zone?

You know I’m the one who started this conversation, right? I was willing to give you a chance. Sorry it didn’t work out.

Congrats!! Now go back to the politics board.

You sound as if you think the cops go into these communities looking to kill people for the hell of it. Of course it might help the cops if the vast majority of crime wasn't committed in very concentrated areas. You think you might have a quick trigger or a negative outlook on life in general if your beat was essentially a war zone?
You sound as if you think black people only live in these very concentrated areas. And that cops are killing innocent people only in what you call war zones.

I'm from "these" communities. What ever I "sound as", is because I have. I have extensive, and more than I wish I had, experience in these exact situations. Concentrated areas makes zero excuse!!! I'll ask, although you and I know the answer, have YOU been in ANY of these situations?? No need... You don't sign up for a job if you had a quick trigger or a negative outlook on this. What, is this that hard???

Last edited:
You sound as if you think black people only live in these very concentrated areas. And that cops are killing innocent people only in what you call war zones.

Your first sentence makes no sense. Show me where I said that.

Many of these urban neighborhoods experience homicide rates that are off the charts. Sorry you think war zone is not the appropriate term but a cop assigned to that beat might beg to differ with you.

I'm from "these" communities. What ever I "sound as", is because I have. I have extensive, and more than I wish I had, experience in these exact situations. Concentrated areas makes zero excuse!!! I'll ask, although you and I know the answer, have YOU been in ANY of these situations?? No need... You don't sign up for a job if you had a quick trigger or a negative outlook on this. What, is this that hard???

SS, from previous posts I know your background to some extent. I know these are emotional hot button issues and I don't mean any disrespect to you or anybody else. I damn well know there are ridiculously bad cops out there. Although black people carry a heavier burden in dealing with bad cops, white people have also had awful experiences with bad cops too so I can easily grasp the concept. And I'm all for locking up bad cops, trying to break down the blue wall of silence and also tightening laws that seem to give cops too much leeway in terms of acceptable behavior. There is plenty to be critical about.

But how about some balance and accountability on the other side? Black males account for 6% of the population and nearly 50% of the homicides in this country. When was the last time you heard a black celebrity or black politician call his community out or be critical of what's going on in many of our largest cities? Why is it that when a black man is killed by a cop under questionable circumstances it is cause for massive demonstrations, riots, looting etc. but every day young black men are killed in their own neighborhoods and it passes with little reaction from the media or anybody else?

Your first sentence makes no sense. Show me where I said that.

Many of these urban neighborhoods experience homicide rates that are off the charts. Sorry you think war zone is not the appropriate term but a cop assigned to that beat might beg to differ with you.
"You sound as if you think..."

What about the cops assigned to beats that aren't in urban neighborhoods? You going to ignore their behavior?

When was the last time you heard a black celebrity or black politician call his community out or be critical of what's going on in many of our largest cities?
Happens all the time. I guess they don't cover it on Fox News.

"You sound as if you think..."

What about the cops assigned to beats that aren't in urban neighborhoods? You going to ignore their behavior?

You're incredibly dense. I get the feeling you don't even read my posts, you just want to argue.

But how about some balance and accountability on the other side? Black males account for 6% of the population and nearly 50% of the homicides in this country. When was the last time you heard a black celebrity or black politician call his community out or be critical of what's going on in many of our largest cities? Why is it that when a black man is killed by a cop under questionable circumstances it is cause for massive demonstrations, riots, looting etc. but every day young black men are killed in their own neighborhoods and it passes with little reaction from the media or anybody else?
I really didn't want to derail the whole NFL thread, but sometimes these things cross, and here we are. I'm all for accountability from everyone. There are plenty of community celebrities that call out the problems of their communities, but it's not publicized enough. The communities are very well aware of the problem people, and that's why when there's crooked cops involved it becomes making a terrible problem worse, on the level that cops are supposed to uphold the law and serve and protect. Again, criminals are just that, the cops are supposed to be "better" than the bad guys.

One example on a micro scale, back in the days when crack took over and violence went to extremes, our neighborhoods were patrolled on foot by a group called Mad Dads, when they came down literally the middle of the street, no one gave them problems because those guys meant business. They didn't do this for publicity, no one really knew about them unless you lived in those places, they did it because they were sick of what was happening to their community and their children. Just one example, there's plenty of citizens doing those types of things or other efforts, but it's not enough drama, so it goes mostly unreported.

I really didn't want to derail the whole NFL thread, but sometimes these things cross, and here we are. I'm all for accountability from everyone. There are plenty of community celebrities that call out the problems of their communities, but it's not publicized enough. The communities are very well aware of the problem people, and that's why when there's crooked cops involved it becomes making a terrible problem worse, on the level that cops are supposed to uphold the law and serve and protect. Again, criminals are just that, the cops are supposed to be "better" than the bad guys.

One example on a micro scale, back in the days when crack took over and violence went to extremes, our neighborhoods were patrolled on foot by a group called Mad Dads, when they came down literally the middle of the street, no one gave them problems because those guys meant business. They didn't do this for publicity, no one really knew about them unless you lived in those places, they did it because they were sick of what was happening to their community and their children. Just one example, there's plenty of citizens doing those types of things or other efforts, but it's not enough drama, so it goes mostly unreported.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the community that are ticked and very outspoken about what's going on. I probably didn't make myself clear but I'm talking more specifically about black athletes and celebrities but even more importantly certain media outlets that are all over police misconduct but pay little to no attention to everyday violence.

Btw I get the higher standard that police should be held to for sure. I agree with you. One caveat, sometimes these situations are split second and not so cut and dry. The most famous case that comes to mind is the Michael Brown situation where Brown reached into the cop's car to try to take his gun. Ferguson was nearly burnt to the ground under a false narrative. I bet a majority of folks don't even know the real story there.

You're incredibly dense. I get the feeling you don't even read my posts, you just want to argue.
You’re the one hurling insults, not me.

Give me some examples.
Ever hear of Kendrick Lamar? Spike Lee did a movie called Chi-Raq. The Wire is one of the most critically-acclaimed television series of all time. Heck, violence in our inner-cities was central to the plot of Black Panther.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the community that are ticked and very outspoken about what's going on. I probably didn't make myself clear but I'm talking more specifically about black athletes and celebrities but even more importantly certain media outlets that are all over police misconduct but pay little to no attention to everyday violence.

Btw I get the higher standard that police should be held to for sure. I agree with you. One caveat, sometimes these situations are split second and not so cut and dry. The most famous case that comes to mind is the Michael Brown situation where Brown reached into the cop's car to try to take his gun. Ferguson was nearly burnt to the ground under a false narrative. I bet a majority of folks don't even know the real story there.
You’re one of those folks. I live not 20 minutes from Ferguson.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the community that are ticked and very outspoken about what's going on. I probably didn't make myself clear but I'm talking more specifically about black athletes...
You mean like Colin Kaepernick?

Ever hear of Kendrick Lamar? Spike Lee did a movie called Chi-Raq. The Wire is one of the most critically-acclaimed television series of all time. Heck, violence in our inner-cities was central to the plot of Black Panther.
Yet not 1 of those is NBC, ABC, or CBS news.

I also saw Avengers Infinity War, should I be worried about Thanos???

Those bastards at FOX never covered him!!!!

Yet you take a shot at FOX.

Give me some examples.

Jay-Z and Kanye West made a song called “Murder to Excellence” on that very topic, at a time when both of their careers were in the stratosphere and their listening audience was at its largest.

Jay-Z and Kanye West made a song called “Murder to Excellence” on that very topic, at a time when both of their careers were in the stratosphere and their listening audience was at its largest.

That's great but I think it would be a helluva lot more impressive with the spoken word through interviews, ad campaigns, etc.

That all ya got? Any athletes? Left leaning pols?

I think we all know the reason why black athletes, black celebrities et al don't forcefully speak out on the epidemic of murders in the inner city. It's not hard to figure out. Social media in the form of the usual suspects would jump ugly on them in a New York minute calling them sell-outs etc. . Somewhat understandably none of them are in a hurry to deal with that.

Interesting you would cite a rapper. Many of them glorify urban violence and have dome a lot more to enflame the situation than to help it.

You mean like Colin Kaepernick?

He's a fraud that never did anything for anybody in the black community until he was called out for it after the initial kneeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom