NFL Thread - 2019 | Page 204 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2019

Edgerin James in the HOF is so laughable.
The guy was good but not a HOFer IMO.
Fred Taylor was a better player.
This thing is so bias.
and you guys give me crap...

hell, Tiki might get in.

and you guys give me crap...

hell, Tiki might get in.
James was better at his position than Eli ever was at his.
I think James fell off a cliff at the end of his career but he did lead the league in rushing his first 2 years and had a couple all-pro seasons. I just don't think he was a HOFer.
Eli's resume is he beat the Patriots in 2 SBs and never got hurt. He was never as good at his position as James was.

The NFL HOF is becoming a bigger joke every year. It's basically not the elite of elite anymore. It's just being top of your position for a little bit and having connections.

49ers could save 22.5 million if they cut or traded Jimmy G. Imagine if they pursued Brady or Brees and dumped Jimmy G.
Dumping the future for one year of mediocre Tom Brady. That'll do it.

Man, you just won't let stuff go.

49ers could save 22.5 million if they cut or traded Jimmy G. Imagine if they pursued Brady or Brees and dumped Jimmy G.

I don't think they'll have the balls to do it. If I were in their shoes though, I'd be trying to draft a QB to develop and then if you think they're eventually ready to start, you can cut Jimmy (or whichever short-term veteran you sign) at that point. Not sure I would want to cut bait from Jimmy just to sign Brady or Brees for one year though (also think it's extremely unlikely Drew leaves NO). The fact that they basically can go year by year with Jimmy is an asset IMO. Having a young QB that has a higher ceiling than what Jimmy provides would be the way to go. Unfortunately they have almost zero draft picks this year; they probably can't afford to use their 1st on a QB and then they don't pick again until the 5th (depending on compensatory picks I guess; not sure if they're expected to receive any or not).

Love how the same Fox crew that thought that Kyle Rudolph’s Game winning push off TD wasn’t PI... but Kittles much less egregious arm extension most definitely was PI
I think both of them were instances where it could go either way. Refs tend to let guys fight a lot more on endzone fades than they do anywhere else on the field though. And in Rudolph's case, him and the DB were hand-fighting with each other the whole way; DB was grabbing him non-stop and then Rudolph gave him the shove to break free. Also, the DB never bothered to look for the ball.

With Kittle, the Chiefs guy was running with him the whole way and not doing anything illegal and then Kittle just pushed him out of the way to make the catch. It was the same push but the context was different.

Also kind of ironic, if that was Deebo Samuel doing it instead of Kittle, it probably doesn't get called. For whatever reason, refs call that a lot more on TEs than they do WRs. I remember an identical play where Michael Thomas had a Bucs DB with him stride for the stride and then he just pushed him away to create the separation at the end and all of a sudden the Saints have a TD. It happens all the time with WRs.

Good point on TE's getting called more. But really there's lots of talk on reddit and probably elsewhere about the rulebook and Rudolph not being the initiator and blah blah blah.
The "special guest referees" in Houston to me was pretty much the mic drop on "rules guy". Lets all please stop the charade of pretending like the rules matter when they clearly don't when it's convenient for the league. Zero holding penalties in this game; ya I'm sure neither team was guilty of that once. GMAFB.

Dumping the future for one year of mediocre Tom Brady. That'll do it.

Man, you just won't let stuff go.
Jimmy G is not the future of SF.
They won't move on but see what his market would bear.

I don't think they'll have the balls to do it. If I were in their shoes though, I'd be trying to draft a QB to develop and then if you think they're eventually ready to start, you can cut Jimmy (or whichever short-term veteran you sign) at that point. Not sure I would want to cut bait from Jimmy just to sign Brady or Brees for one year though (also think it's extremely unlikely Drew leaves NO). The fact that they basically can go year by year with Jimmy is an asset IMO. Having a young QB that has a higher ceiling than what Jimmy provides would be the way to go. Unfortunately they have almost zero draft picks this year; they probably can't afford to use their 1st on a QB and then they don't pick again until the 5th (depending on compensatory picks I guess; not sure if they're expected to receive any or not).
They could trade Jimmy G for draft picks, sign a Teddy Bridgewater or veteran QB and basically get the same production at QB and recoup some picks for their roster.
When Kirk Cousins contract expires after next year I expect Shannhan to be interested in him.

You've given up on him, haven't you? Because he lost to the best QB in the land last night? Guess he should have jumped in at linebacker for a bit.

They were one OPI or a HC that didn't gag in play calling away from winning a super bowl with Jimmy G. He is not the problem at all. Shanahan was the issue all game for the 49ers. All game.

They were one OPI or a HC that didn't gag in play calling away from winning a super bowl with Jimmy G. He is not the problem at all. Shanahan was the issue all game for the 49ers. All game.
And both will improve as they age.

You've given up on him, haven't you? Because he lost to the best QB in the land last night? Guess he should have jumped in at linebacker for a bit.
You watched him play this year? He was the definition of a game manager. His cap number jumps from 18.5 million to 26 million next year.
Jimmy G isn't a bum but I don't think he is a top 10 QB which is what he is paid like now.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that Cooper is that special. Had some huge games and completely disappeared in others. Doesn't seem like a guy who'd relish playing outdoors for in the NE/Midwest in November-January

He's also injury prone.

You watched him play this year? He was the definition of a game manager. His cap number jumps from 18.5 million to 26 million next year.
Jimmy G isn't a bum but I don't think he is a top 10 QB which is what he is paid like now.
Next year will that be top 10? I doubt it.

Would you really pay Tom Brady 30 million next year over Jimmy G at 26? I don't see it.

I don't think this is really the right way to look at it. Shanahan's system makes it so easy on the QB. Any time Jimmy got in a situation where things weren't easy last night, he failed. Feasted on quick hitters and PA where his initial read was open and almost literally couldn't complete anything if he had to actually read the defense or throw the ball down the field.

He was better during the regular season than he showed in the playoffs this year, but at the end of the day, much like how the Rams made a mistake in paying Goff, San Fran has a system that almost any QB will be able to be successful in. There's no need to spend top dollar on an average at best QB with the system Shanahan has in place. It's fine for now; they don't need the cap savings yet so there's no need to restart at the QB position in the immediate future, but when it comes to the point where they basically have to either keep Jimmy or keep everyone else, they should definitely go with the latter. So I would be trying to lock in a rookie QB salary that you can develop right now.

Jimmy G off play action was 12 for 14 167 yards 1 TD, all other passing plays 8 for 17 52 yards.

He was not good. His numbers make him look better. Running game and play action was the offense.
If he is going to be play action QB the 49ers can find a cheaper guy.

He probably should have run the ball more in the second half than they did, but he dialed up great passing plays for Jimmy and Jimmy simply couldn't make the throws. Had Kittle open for an easy completion to move the chains, took too long reading the defense and ultimately missed Kittle by 15 yards because of it. Had Sanders open for the winning TD and missed it by 5-10 yards.

He's basically a poor man's Kirk Cousins right now.

Edit: Again, I wouldn't be in a rush to move on from him right now. With his contract, you can get out of it any time, but I would be trying to bring someone in to develop under him at a lower cost so you can eventually move on and keep the rest of the team intact.

Next year will that be top 10? I doubt it.

Would you really pay Tom Brady 30 million next year over Jimmy G at 26? I don't see it.
Brady isn't getting 30 million per year from NE. That was spin by Kraft to Rappaport.
If Brady is coming back he will get a large signing bonus to spread the cap out and give him upfront money and small salary.
I would pay Brady 30 million over Jimmy G 26 million. You realize how good the SF OL is compared to what Brady had this year. He had no TE and 1 above WR the whole year in Edelman. Sanu was hurt, and the rest of the WRs were mediocre at best after AB was cut.

Jimmy G has weapons.

Brady isn't getting 30 million per year from NE. That was spin by Kraft to Rappaport.
If Brady is coming back he will get a large signing bonus to spread the cap out and give him upfront money and small salary.
I would pay Brady 30 million over Jimmy G 26 million. You realize how good the SF OL is compared to what Brady had this year. He had no TE and 1 above WR the whole year in Edelman. Sanu was hurt, and the rest of the WRs were mediocre at best after AB was cut.

Jimmy G has weapons.

NE o-line was rated higher than San Fran. And I wonder if the San Fran o-line is good for pass blocking on play option, but not regular drop back passing situations. Saw a lot of pressure last night.

Jimmy G was 8th overall in pay this year, and with Dak and Tom getting paid next year, that will drop him down. Have to wonder if the Chiefs, Texans and Ravens all make moves to get their QBs extended sooner rather than later.

NE o-line was rated higher than San Fran. And I wonder if the San Fran o-line is good for pass blocking on play option, but not regular drop back passing situations. Saw a lot of pressure last night.

Jimmy G was 8th overall in pay this year, and with Dak and Tom getting paid next year, that will drop him down. Have to wonder if the Chiefs, Texans and Ravens all make moves to get their QBs extended sooner rather than later.
NE OL had the best OL coach in the league Dante Scarnacchi patching it together. NE OL was not better than SF OL.
Brady COVERS a lot up. He throws the ball away to save sacks. He throws the ball fast so the blocking doesn't have to block long.
SF OL was really good. They have better players this year. NE OL will get better getting their starting C back who was out for the year with blood clots and Isiah Wynn and Shaq Mason staying healthy.
Patriots had Joe Thuney was the only above OL men and he was a stud but the overall line was not as good as that ranking. Marshall Newhouse was a turnstyle.

I would trade offensive units minus QB with SF in a second. If Brady had the talent around Jimmy G I convinced he would do better than Jimmy G.

He probably should have run the ball more in the second half than they did, but he dialed up great passing plays for Jimmy and Jimmy simply couldn't make the throws. Had Kittle open for an easy completion to move the chains, took too long reading the defense and ultimately missed Kittle by 15 yards because of it. Had Sanders open for the winning TD and missed it by 5-10 yards.

He's basically a poor man's Kirk Cousins right now.

Edit: Again, I wouldn't be in a rush to move on from him right now. With his contract, you can get out of it any time, but I would be trying to bring someone in to develop under him at a lower cost so you can eventually move on and keep the rest of the team intact.

It's not probably. They averaged 6.4 yards per run. They were gashing them.

He didn't miss Sanders by 5-10 yards. He missed him by one-two yards and you can argue Sanders should have laid out.

Yes, he does better off of play action. You know who else does better off of play action? Every QB in the league that has a good running game.

Who are they going to get to replace Jimmy G? No one.

Shanahan has now blew two Super Bowls with play calling. It's not Jimmy G.

He didn't miss Sanders by 5-10 yards. He missed him by one-two yards and you can argue Sanders should have laid out.

Yes, he does better off of play action. You know who else does better off of play action? Every QB in the league that has a good running game.

A6ED7CF2-F70C-44A8-B045-B057D23702DF.png

He overthrew him by atleast 3 yards.

Also if I were SF I would consider 1 year of Tom Brady then sign Kirk Cousins after next year when his MIN contract expires and he can't be franchised. Then deal Jimmy G for multiple draft picks.
They don't have a pick in the 2nd thru 4th rounds round now.

Who really knows? They have a couple years to replace him; he's an average at best starting QB. There will undoubtedly be options in the draft that prove to be better than he is, and if you think guys like Brady and Brees are actual options, they're better right now too. Could argue that guys that theoretically might be available, such as Carr, Stafford, Rivers, Jameis, and Tannehill might be better too though those guys are all debatable at best. And that's just this offseason. Like I said, I wouldn't be trying to replace him immediately, but I'd absolutely want to bring in a rookie this offseason or the next that you think can replace him in the future. They're eventually going to need cap space and Jimmy is a replaceable talent that would free up a lot of space for them.

Brady and Brees need to be in a drop back system. At their age they aren't athletic enough to be doing bootlegs. Brees maybe, Brady no way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom