NFL Thread - 2020 | Page 310 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2020

Good for both the Lions and the Rams.

McVay was done with Goff, so they either had to cut bait with McVay or Goff and you're not letting go of McVay.

Seahawks are looking shaky, the Cardinals are still rolling with Kingsbury and you have SF looking to make a move they know they have to make.

Got to win now, especially with the NFC being so weak.

Lions get to rebuild and got good value for Stafford and for taking on Goff's contract (which were basically two separate deals as I I believe chugg21 described above).

BuT tOm CuRrAn SaId StAfFoRd WoUlDn’T pLaY fOr ThE pAtRiOtS.

That news was used by Curran to advance an agenda he has against Belichick.
The real fact is they were never getting Stafford the team would never pay anything close to that price.

Last edited:

The real fact is they were never getting Stafford the team would never pay anything close to that price.
Can’t help but think of my own point re: Lions new GM knowing he turned down a top 10 pick to send Stafford to his old team. Probably ultimately boils down to Detroit just wanting to do Stafford a solid and being okay with the Rams offer but there’s no logical argument that what they ultimately received is better than a top 10 pick.

I don't know why you think it's also not realistic that Stafford didn't want to go play for a team that has 0 good players on offense. Can certainly be both things.

I don't know why you think it's also not realistic that Stafford didn't want to go play for a team that has 0 good players on offense. Can certainly be both things.
Curran said Stafford only didn’t want to get traded to the Patriots.
So he was okay with the Jets or other really bad teams?

No.
The story is Curran taking cheap shots Belichick.
I refuse to believe Stafford is stupid enough to think the current roster is going to be the 2021 roster.

I myself admit the roster is thin offensively now but the article just serves another agenda.

No.
I refuse to believe Stafford is stupid enough to think the current roster is going to be the 2021 roster.

I myself admit the roster is thin offensively now but the article just serves another agenda.
Sometimes you may want to just relax on the Patriots conspiracy theories and wonder if maybe after a few years with Matt Patricia/Bob Quinn that were horrible and just took a good chunk of his prime that maybe, just maybe that going to a team that again features Matt Patricia on the coaching staff and has exactly 0 good players at skill positions would be something that Stafford would in fact verbally say no thanks to.

When you see things like this, you have to think that the franchise really did want to do Stafford a solid and send him to the place that he most wanted to go. Stafford has a home in Newport so seems like things lined up and they came to an acceptable deal even if they may not have squeezed all the juice from his value. Maybe in the long run that pays off, maybe they just did something stupid.

Sometimes you may want to just relax on the Patriots conspiracy theories and wonder if maybe after a few years with Matt Patricia/Bob Quinn that were horrible and just took a good chunk of his prime that maybe, just maybe that going to a team that again features Matt Patricia on the coaching staff and has exactly 0 good players at skill positions would be something that Stafford would in fact verbally say no thanks to.
It’s not a conspiracy theory. You haven’t lived in New England.

The NE media is toxic. I am not joking the most influential show in the market wants Belichick on the hot seat this season. They are actually telling the fanbase Belichick doesn’t pay players because he has to be the highest paid member of the organization and that is why he pushed Brady out.

I am not joking.
The media here hates the team and makes the fanbase dumb. Which is why I can’t stand them.
Your team’s media doesn’t do this stuff.

Curran has to go on TV/radio fling H0T Takes to make his job matter.

I don’t do conspiracy stuff when I am serious. The only joke conspiracy was the stupid Aaron Rodgers one which isn’t happening.

A couple takeaways from the other offers/non-offers:
  • I don't really get Carolina pursuing Stafford, but you'd think if they were pursuing him, they're going to offer the moon for Watson, who is a lot more valuable, a lot more in line with Carolina's timeline, and also already a local hero (for South Carolina anyways).
  • I wonder if Indy and San Fran's lack of interest in Stafford means they won't be all that involved in the vet QB market or if they simply didn't want to bother with him because they think they can get Watson.

A couple takeaways from the other offers/non-offers:
  • I don't really get Carolina pursuing Stafford, but you'd think if they were pursuing him, they're going to offer the moon for Watson, who is a lot more valuable, a lot more in line with Carolina's timeline, and also already a local hero (for South Carolina anyways).
  • I wonder if Indy and San Fran's lack of interest in Stafford means they won't be all that involved in the vet QB market or if they simply didn't want to bother with him because they think they can get Watson.
Colts should be pursuing a Andrew Luck comeback.

I think Matt Ryan and San Francisco could happen if Atlanta goes QB at 4.

Carolina has been one of my biggest spots for Watson.

Colts should be pursuing a Andrew Luck comeback.

I think Matt Ryan and San Francisco could happen if Atlanta goes QB at 4.

Carolina has been one of my biggest spots for Watson.
Take a gander at Ryan's contract...

Take a gander at Ryan's contract...
It would be a one year dead money cap hit of 49 million dollars correct?

If they draft rookie a QB I am sure they can absorb that one year hit no?

I didn’t realize Ryan is 35 that would be more of a problem IMO.
He doesn’t seem like he has that much more left. He has been in a Dome for more than half of his games.

He doesn’t seem like he has that much more left. He has been in a Dome for more than half of his games.

Atlanta is currently projected to have -33 mil in cap space and trading Matt Ryan would actually cost them more (unless they did it with post-June 1 designation in which case they can spread the dead cap and save like $20 mil. I have a hard time seeing them trading him unless his new team agrees to pay a large portion of those guarantees so that Atlanta can save money, but that would obviously also mean they get fewer assets in return. They're in a really tricky spot.

The Goff $22.2m dead cap hit is going to be the largest in NFL history. That one for Ryan would be more than double of it and would take up more than 25% of their cap. It's a really affordable and great deal for a team trading for it as the new team would get him for 3 years/$74m which is middle of the pack at this point. If they trade him and its marked post June 1st they can spread the dead money over '21 and '22 and it would be a $23m hit this year and $26m hit next year. That would be a bonkers decision unless they were receiving high level compensation.

I can certainly see a world where they take Wilson or Fields at #4 but with everyone aware that Ryan will be the 2021 starter. Then they can move on after '21 with a still record setting $26m dead money hit. They have the same situation going on with Julio. He turns 32 a week from today and they have no way out until after next year and even that has huge dead money. They are kind of screwed no matter how it works. Need to draft a QB at 4 this year because unlikely to get another shot that high without sacrificing a lot of assets. But then year 1 of the deal the guy will be sitting, year 2 they are going to likely have huge dead money so tough to build up around him, so going to be year 3 before they can actually take advantage of having a $7m/year QB.

No.

I don't find it hard to believe that TC only got info about the Pats. Seems likely actually.

No.

He probably didn't want to.be the guy to replace Brady.

Brady after age 37 vs other great QBs over their entire careers.

1612230551202.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom