Nick Carparelli | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Nick Carparelli

B is a fair possibly too generous of a grade . I supported and like gross. His failure with football the sanctions and a department that wasn't well run need to be taken into account.
The department wasn't well run? Tell that to the BB team that made a FF this year ... or the WBB team that made a NCG this year ... Or the MXC team that won a NC this year ... or the WXC team that had a top 15 finish ... of the MSoccer team that made a FF ... or the WFH team that won a NC ... of the MLax team that's top 5 ... or the WLax team that's top 5 ... of the M and W Crew teams that are top 15 (I can't remember the exact rankings) ... or the M Indoor Track team that's top 15.

[Edit: I fotgot to include WTennis that made the Tourney for the first time ever and W Outdoor Track, which is having a banner year]

And this is a driving force for the above results, but for a department "that wasn't well run," we sure have upgraded all of our major facilities quite a lot over the last 10 years.

And for a department that isn't well-run, we sure did manage to sneak into a pretty decent conference.

Out of curiosity, how would you define well run? And for the record, what specifically did you want him to do about football?

Last edited:
office-chair-smiley-emoticon.gif

We both know I meant school administration / athletic department. Not a business selling product to collegiate athletics, not a football team administrator.

Otherwise, I agree with the entire rest of your post. They did a very thorough job last time, and I think Coyle was the right type of hire even if it didn't work out long term. If they due that level of due diligence again, we will bring in the right guy.

He was involved in the administration of two major college athletic conferences.

That tells me that he interfaced with multiple college athletic departments on a constant basis in connection with major sports and Olympic sports for both men and women - dealing with scheduling, TV, NCAA infractions, academics, Title IX, various sponsorship issues, bowl alignment issues and the like.

And as an assistant director of football operations he deals with everything - grades, study hall, travel arrangements, sports camps, practice schedules, interaction between players and coaches, etc.

I just find it hard to believe that all of that is on the "periphery" of college athletic administration. To me all of that is the essence of college athletic administration.

Nick Carparelli might not be the right guy, but his experience is in the wheel house of what it takes to be a contemporary college athletic administrator.

Last edited:
He was involved in the administration of two major college athletic conferences.

That tells me that he interfaced with multiple college athletic departments on a constant basis in connection with major sports and Olympic sports for both men and women - dealing with scheduling, TV, NCAA infractions, academics, Title IX, various sponsorship issues, bowl alignment issues and the like.

And as an assistant director of football operations he deals with everything - grades, study hall, travel arrangements, sports camps, practice schedules, interaction between players and coaches, etc.

I just find it hard to believe that all of that is on the "periphery" of college athletic administration. To me all of that is the essence of college athletic administration.

Nick Carparelli might not be the right guy, but his experience in the wheel house of what it takes to be a contemporary college athletic administrator.
It would seem that way on the surface but apparently he is selling Rolexes in the front or fireworks in the back.

Spent like a drunk sailor and the books were a mess.

He really is a mixed bag.

It is true that he spent money, but, it was the Chancellor who authorized the spending.

He was not a detail guy and was not an organizational guy - that's why he brought in Herman Frazier.

He brought the department into the 21st Century.

I don't blame him for football.

But the basketball situation was on his watch and of course was his undoing.

The department wasn't well run? Tell that to the BB team that made a FF this year ... or the WBB team that made a NCG this year ... Or the MXC team that won a NC this year ... or the WXC team that had a top 15 finish ... of the MSoccer team that made a FF ... or the WFH team that won a NC ... of the MLax team that's top 5 ... or the WLax team that's top 5 ... of the M and W Crew teams that are top 15 (I can't remember the exact rankings) ... or the M Indoor Track team that's top 15.

[Edit: I fotgot to include WTennis that made the Tourney for the first time ever and W Outdoor Track, which is having a banner year]

And this is a driving force for the above results, but for a department "that wasn't well run," we sure have upgraded all of our major facilities quite a lot over the last 10 years.

And for a department that isn't well-run, we sure did manage to sneak into a pretty decent conference.

Out of curiosity, how would you define well run? And for the record, what specifically did you want him to do about football?
Well for one when you have a new hire down to two and they are Greg Robinson and bo pelini you don't choose grob!

It would seem that way on the surface but apparently he is selling Rolexes in the front or fireworks in the back.

Again, I don't know him.

I have no inside information on him. I don't know about the Rolexes or Canal Street.

I'm just looking at the endorsements by Tirico, McDonough, and Thamel and the resume.

If he's not the guy, that's fine - get the right guy.

Then I'll be sure to coss Joe paterno, Jim Tarman, Timothy Curley, Paul Dee, Kirby Hocutt, Shawn Eichorst, John Swofford, Dick Baddour, Bubba Cunningham, and Oliver Luck off the list.

Now back to Dr. Gross...
Let not just coss JoPa. Cross him and curse him off the list. Why even mention his name?

Nick Carparelli might not be the right guy, but his experience is in the wheel house of what it takes to be a contemporary college athletic administrator.

Working in conference administration is different than being in a school's athletic department. Not the same [although this is more relevant vis a vis our vacancy than his later work for UA, IMO].

Interfacing with college athletic departments is not the same as coordinating the operations of an athletic department.

The duties he had jurisdictional responsibility for as an assistant director of football operations--grades, study hall, travel arrangements, sports camps, practice schedules, interaction between players and coaches--have very little overlap with what an athletic department does, other than at the governance level.

I'm really not sure what part of this you don't understand. His job responsibilities and roles, to date, have not included--you know--actually working in a collegiate athletic department, let alone at a P5 level institution.

That doesn't mean that he couldn't learn this stuff. But today, based upon his experience, he probably isn't the most qualified candidate because his experience doesn't actually involve working in an athletic department at the college level. This isn't an entry level job where somebody has the capacity to learn on-the-job.

Last edited:
He really is a mixed bag.

It is true that he spent money, but, it was the Chancellor who authorized the spending.

He was not a detail guy and was not an organizational guy - that's why he brought in Herman Frazier.

He brought the department into the 21st Century.

I don't blame him for football.

But the basketball situation was on his watch and of course was his undoing.

Cantor let him do his thing. Syverud did not.

RF2044 said:
Working in conference administration is different than being in a school's athletic department. Not the same [although this is more relevant vis a vis our vacancy than his later work for UA, IMO]. Interfacing with college athletic departments is not the same as coordinating the operations of an athletic department. The duties he had jurisdictional responsibility for as an assistant director of football operations--grades, study hall, travel arrangements, sports camps, practice schedules, interaction between players and coaches--have very little overlap with what an athletic department does, other than at the governance level. I'm really not sure what part of this you don't understand. His job responsibilities and roles, to date, have not included--you know--actually working in a collegiate athletic department, let alone at a P5 level institution. That doesn't mean that he couldn't learn this stuff. But today, based upon his experience, he probably isn't the most qualified candidate because his experience doesn't actually involve working in an athletic department at the college level. This isn't an entry level job where somebody has the capacity to learn on-the-job.

Until recently we've reserved our on the job training roles for head coach of the football program.

Working in conference administration is different than being in a school's athletic department. Not the same [although this is more relevant vis a vis our vacancy than his later work for UA, IMO].

Interfacing with college athletic departments is not the same as coordinating the operations of an athletic department.

The duties he had jurisdictional responsibility for as an assistant director of football operations--grades, study hall, travel arrangements, sports camps, practice schedules, interaction between players and coaches--have very little overlap with what an athletic department does, other than at the governance level.

I'm really not sure what part of this you don't understand. His job responsibilities and roles, to date, have not included--you know--actually working in a collegiate athletic department, let alone at a P5 level institution.

That doesn't mean that he couldn't learn this stuff. But today, based upon his experience, he probably isn't the most qualified candidate because his experience doesn't actually involve working in an athletic department at the college level. This isn't an entry level job where somebody has the capacity to learn on-the-job.

So...these 2 jobs below were not in actual athletic departments...?

Football Administrator
University of Notre Dame
June 2000 – March 2001 (10 months)

Assistant Director of Football Operations
Syracuse University
January 1992 – July 1994 (2 years 7 months)

Let not just coss JoPa. Cross him and curse him off the list. Why even mention his name?
I was listing the AD's from PSU, UNC, and Miami, and Oliver Luck because I'm pretty sure we picked up PSU's tab, UNC's tab, and Miami's tab, and Oliver Luck straight up said that he tried to hurt Syracuse.

Well for one when you have a new hire down to two and they are Greg Robinson and bo pelini you don't choose grob!
The original post called out GRob as his one true mistake.

He didn't stay within budget
You're making it sound like we're Maryland.

And those reports of our spending are almost certainly far overblown. Look at the DoE numbers. I get that they're not scientifically accurate for a variety of reasons including 1) internal accounting differences and 2) school subsidies, as well as others. However, we ran a $20 million surplus in Doc's last year. Argue about the exact number all you want, but I for one find it hard to believe that it's not at least directionally accurate.

Yes there were deficits in his early years (I think that there was even a DO article about it in ~'07), but there was CLEARLY a great return on those investments. And, blaming him for them is somewhat ridiculous. Our facilities were awful and modernizing them costs money.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDet...4743d352f31352f3230313620363a32303a343220504d

nzm136 said:
The department wasn't well run? Tell that to the BB team that made a FF this year ... or the WBB team that made a NCG this year ... Or the MXC team that won a NC this year ... or the WXC team that had a top 15 finish ... of the MSoccer team that made a FF ... or the WFH team that won a NC ... of the MLax team that's top 5 ... or the WLax team that's top 5 ... of the M and W Crew teams that are top 15 (I can't remember the exact rankings) ... or the M Indoor Track team that's top 15. [Edit: I fotgot to include WTennis that made the Tourney for the first time ever and W Outdoor Track, which is having a banner year] And this is a driving force for the above results, but for a department "that wasn't well run," we sure have upgraded all of our major facilities quite a lot over the last 10 years. And for a department that isn't well-run, we sure did manage to sneak into a pretty decent conference. Out of curiosity, how would you define well run? And for the record, what specifically did you want him to do about football?

Sanctions.

Horrible football records.

Spending issues.

AD's don't survive those three things.

I didn't say that either. Several years we were in the red.
Sure, but renovations cost money, and there's a reason why rainy day funds exist. He brought us back to being very much in the black. That isn't reckless spending. It's successful investing.

Sanctions.

Horrible football records.

Spending issues.

AD's don't survive those three things.
1. The sanctions are severely overblown IMHO. We were unlucky with the timing. The NCAA screwed up the Miami investigation, went light on PSU, and knew that UNC was coming down the pike. They were going to nail someone, and we happened to be next in line. The NCAA punishments were historically heavy. Pinning that on DG isn't anymore right than it is pinning it on JB.

2. Grob was undoubtedly a mistake. However, P did need to go, fHCDM was a good hire, and SS was the right hire. The fact that DM took his assistants with him and the fact that Jake didn't invest in facilities was outside of DG's control.

3. The fact that out facilities were from the 1980's when DG took over is not a reflection on him. Those things cost money to modernize, and they needed to be modernized because they were cutting into our competitiveness and thereby impacting our revenues. SU also exists in an economically-depressed city with no large corporate sponsors and played in the BIG EAST which was making hundreds of thousands per school when all the other conferences were making about $10 million and beyond. He can't fix the city, but he did fix our conference standing and our facilities. In doing so, he did dip into the red, sure, but he pulled out of the red and took us WAY into the black. Additionally, he did so while building a tradition of winning in virtually every sport in which we compete. That isn't a spending issue. That's intelligent investing.

Sure, but renovations cost money, and there's a reason why rainy day funds exist. He brought us back to being very much in the black. That isn't reckless spending. It's successful investing.

He was reckless with the spending and how the books were kept. An AD doesn't act that way.