NIKE is now a target | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

NIKE is now a target

BTW, it is my opinion that you don't really care if these kids get a degree, just so long as they get their 4 years of playing time in, and stay eligible. That said, I have never understood that people who appear to be of reasonable intelligence cannot fathom that one does not have to go to college between the ages of 18-23.
So what if a kid leaves school, then gets hurt. He can always go back to school, if he values education. If not, then that's okay too.

If any of my kids had a talent, passion, or skill on which they could start prior to college, I would wholly encourage them to pursue it.
If you need some specific knowledge to further your dream, then go get it.

For many college students now, it's just 4 years of parties and living off mom and dad.

I've had 2 kids that left college. One joined the Navy, and loves it. The other decided to start over, after working a year in retail for 2 years, to pursue something about which she is passionate. She is now kicking butt in the classroom, working and helping pay her own way. Wife and I could not be more proud of either of them.

By the way, you don't NEED a Master's to teach kindergarten, you are required to have one by the unholy restrictive cabal of government and teacher unions.
Your first assumption is totally incorrect. I believe in education ... as you would know if you paid any attention to my posts over the years -- including the one you responded to. You're better than that (although at least one of your supporters is not).

Second, I'm happy for your kids but [the whole point is] they weren't scholarship athletes. I'm a Navy buff so I'd love to hear more about what your son/daughter is doing in the fleet. The other's back in school, so great, and best of luck. But their experiences are completely beside the point, since neither of your kids is on an athletic scholarship. I do understand your general points ... that kids sometimes take non-linear paths in life, and that, while education's the best way to success, it's not the only way. That's why my post referenced skilled trades. But none of that contradicts the original point, which is that student athletes who are offered a free education in exchange for playing a sport would be well-advised to take advantage. If they get drafted or play for pay in Europe, they're among the few exceptions I mentioned. I have no issue if they pursue their passion, then return to school. For the vast majority, however, the value of a degree is priceless and they'd be crazy not to avail themselves of the educational opportunity afforded them while it's available and free.

Last edited:
By the way, you don't NEED a Master's to teach kindergarten, you are required to have one by the unholy restrictive cabal of government and teacher unions.

You couldn't be more wrong.

You don't NEED masters degree for alot of jobs, but you get a much better pool of candidates if that is your educational requirement. I for one am much happier that my kid's teachers had a graduate education. It doesn't guarantee that they will be good teachers, but it ups the odds.

You couldn't be more wrong.

You don't NEED masters degree for alot of jobs, but you get a much better pool of candidates if that is your educational requirement. I for one am much happier that my kid's teachers had a graduate education. It doesn't guarantee that they will be good teachers, but it ups the odds.
He's wrong in the technical sense too. A masters degree is required in NY to be certified as a primary or secondary public school teacher.

He's wrong in the technical sense too. A masters degree is required in NY to be certified as a primary or secondary public school teacher.
No I am not. There is a difference between need and require. I don't need a license to be able to actually drive a car, but it's required by the state to do so legally.
BTW, the Master's degree requirement in NY to teach in public schools, not private, yet private school kids are generally better educated.
Also, the Master's is not an immediate requirement. You have to have it within 5 years of starting. Why can a person start teaching without a Master's, if a Master's is so important to the ability to be able to teach?

Last edited:
I have a question. If the NCAA is making billions of dollars, where does that money go? I assume it isn't sitting in a trust somewhere, so it must be getting spent? Who and what eats up that much money?

No I am not. There is a difference between need and require. I don't need a license to be able to actually drive a car, but it's required by the state to do so legally.
BTW, the Master's degree requirement in NY to teach in public schools, not private, yet private school kids are generally better educated.
Also, the Master's is not an immediate requirement. You have to have it within 5 years of starting. Why can a person start teaching without a Master's, if a Master's is so important to the ability to be able to teach?
Spare me the word games. "Need" a masters has the same meaning (in the context of my post) as "required to have". Also, I said "public" [schools] in my post - again instead of reading what I wrote you're teeing off with anti-government nonsense. And since you mentioned it, private school teachers have less stringent qualification requirements than public school teachers. In some cases, their students perform better... but they cherry-pick their populations, as you well know.

Last edited:
I have a question. If the NCAA is making billions of dollars, where does that money go? I assume it isn't sitting in a trust somewhere, so it must be getting spent? Who and what eats up that much money?
Employees and a lot is given to all schools in the FBS system. But I have no idea what the percentages the schools get of the money.

I said "public" in my post - again instead of reading what I wrote you're teeing off with anti-government nonsense. And since you mentioned it, private school teachers are less well trained. Their students perform better b/c they cherry-pick their population, as you well know.

Not the ones I personally know of. They all have to be certified and either have a Masters or be working on one just like public schools. The biggest problem for private schools is retention of teachers since so many are poached by public schools because of their ability to pay more and provide better benefits. This is a fact. The next biggest issue of course is the cost which limits the number of students. Many private school pupils are kids from public school kids who switched because frustrated parents hope that smaller classes, a different environment, more individual attention , more discipline, higher expectations will hopefully help their child. It works for many but not all just like large public schools work for many but not all.

Most private schools can't afford to cherry pick students but they will expel kids if they are found to be involved into criminal activity that public schools don't or can't. Privates will give them a chance but will expel if they mess up that chance. Private schools will fail students and many of those kids will leave heading back to their public school hoping for higher grades and not to be kept behind which is understandable. I know of a number of kids who left because of failing their 5 week reports thus ineligible for athletics at the private school but eligible at their public school. Some of these names would be recognizable. Many parents don't like paying for students who they figure could fail for free or be helped by an easier non traditional college prep curriculum at a public school too. Compare facilities particularly athletics between private and public and you'll see that it's not something that is anywhere near a priority on their spending lists. It's not as nefarious and complicated as you believe, just a choice that deserves respect as much as a public school. I'm speaking about Syracuse and the local CNY area. We're seeing some of the same public university vs private university issues on a larger scale here in Syracuse too and sadly it mainly revolves around athletic entitlement and money. The bigger schools using taxpayer's money and government backing take heat when smaller schools do better with less and they don't like it despite the relatively overall small percentage who can compete.

Not the ones I personally know of. They all have to be certified and either have a Masters or be working on one just like public schools. The biggest problem for private schools is retention of teachers since so many are poached by public schools because of their ability to pay more and provide better benefits. This is a fact. The next biggest issue of course is the cost which limits the number of students. Many private school pupils are kids from public school kids who switched because frustrated parents hope that smaller classes, a different environment, more individual attention , more discipline, higher expectations will hopefully help their child. It works for many but not all just like large public schools work for many but not all.

Most private schools can't afford to cherry pick students but they will expel kids if they are found to be involved into criminal activity that public schools don't or can't. Privates will give them a chance but will expel if they mess up that chance. Private schools will fail students and many of those kids will leave heading back to their public school hoping for higher grades and not to be kept behind which is understandable. I know of a number of kids who left because of failing their 5 week reports thus ineligible for athletics at the private school but eligible at their public school. Some of these names would be recognizable. Many parents don't like paying for students who they figure could fail for free or be helped by an easier non traditional college prep curriculum at a public school too. Compare facilities particularly athletics between private and public and you'll see that it's not something that is anywhere near a priority on their spending lists. It's not as nefarious and complicated as you believe, just a choice that deserves respect as much as a public school. I'm speaking about Syracuse and the local CNY area. We're seeing some of the same public university vs private university issues on a larger scale here in Syracuse too and sadly it mainly revolves around athletic entitlement and money. The bigger schools using taxpayer's money and government backing take heat when smaller schools do better with less and they don't like it despite the relatively overall small percentage who can compete.
This is a different subject, more politics than sports. I'd be happy to debate it in another forum -- private schools in NY DO cherry pick their students. Many have entrance exams. They expel troublemakers. They don't have to pay for transportation. They don't provide resources for (if they even accept) special needs/IEP kids ... they leave all the resource-intensive behavior management problems for public schools to deal with. And many private schools employ teachers who do not have teaching certificates. It's not in any way a level playing field. I'm not familiar with the schools in Syracuse and would like to hear more about them, but I don't think think this issue has anything to do with "respect".

Last edited:
I appreciate your SU basketball related posts on this board. But your opinions on education policy are woefully misguided.

Employees and a lot is given to all schools in the FBS system. But I have no idea what the percentages the schools get of the money.

Well, a billion is (1000) million. Exactly how many employees and how much to the schools? I'd love to see an audit on that organization. Somebody or some group is getting filthy rich.

7713213.jpg

Well, a billion is (1000) million. Exactly how many employees and how much to the schools? I'd love to see an audit on that organization. Somebody or some group is getting filthy rich.
The money pays for the entirety of the NCAA. A small part goes for the employees in India-noplace, but the huge bulk of it is paid out to the schools through the participation points for the conferences in D-1 bball or the NCAA championships. It pays the meal money for the participants in the D-3 field hockey tournament; the travel expenses of the participants in the D-2 wrestling tournament; and, to give SU fans something to relate to, the lodging expenses of the participants in both D-1 lax tournaments; etc. Now, if you want to be on the side of the elder John Thompson, you could argue that all the money from the D-1 bball TV contract should stay with D-1 bball, but I'd be surprised if SU fans would want to be in that camp.

There is a reason that the highest paid employees of most states are basketball & football coaches. Coaches and administrators get the lions share of revenue.

There is a reason that the highest paid employees of most states are basketball & football coaches. Coaches and administrators get the lions share of revenue.
It's pretty much based on how well they build their product, team or university, and then how well they market it that justifies their salaries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom