NIKE is now a target | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NIKE is now a target

I’m serious though. The inevitable outcome of this scandal will be a call by Congress to outlaw these multimillion dollar deals with the shoe companies. Frankly, I won’t disagree. I think Nike has way too much control over our programs now.
I don't think private contracts are the business of Congress. If a state wants to say it's public institutions can't do it, that's fine.
People wanting Congress, a body generally filled with idiots, involved in everything is one of the biggest problems our country has.

I don't think private contracts are the business of Congress. If a state wants to say it's public institutions can't do it, that's fine.
People wanting Congress, a body generally filled with idiots, involved in everything is one of the biggest problems our country has.

Then get ready for the mother of all scandals. I’m not saying SU is dirty, but I am saying that Nike and Addidas only care about their bottom line and can’t be trusted to police themselves. We’ve also seen that coaches can’t police themselves either. Last week was the tip of the iceberg.

Some in Congress are idiots, some are very smart. The problem is ALL of them are corrupt and interested in maximizing the amount of $$ they can extract from from those wanting to buy their vote and influence. And that is ALL of them. Which leads to bad policy, laws and blatant corruption which the system of course deems to be 100% legal.

His heritage is important in understanding who he is. He is ethical and has strength of character. There is no comparison between staff providing too much academic assistance and bribery ie exchange of cash.
I don't doubt his strength of character but we've been on probation in part because of a street agent...I mean did JB become Lutheran afternoon that?

Paying the players solves nothing. Some school is going to pay A LOT more under the table.

Right. My point is, ban the contracts with the shoe companies. They have way too much influence. And their motivation is not in line with the goals of college sports.

I fully understand and have no problems with the contracts between the outfitters and the schools for team uniforms, shoes, etc. What I don't understand is the contracts with the coaches. It smells from the outset as a bribe because I have a great deal of doubt that there is very much advice a coach can give a shoe company about anything other than how the shoes look.

I fully understand and have no problems with the contracts between the outfitters and the schools for team uniforms, shoes, etc. What I don't understand is the contracts with the coaches. It smells from the outset as a bribe because I have a great deal of doubt that there is very much advice a coach can give a shoe company about anything other than how the shoes look.
Look, when you have been coaching for say, 50 years, you come to know a lot about sneakers.

I agree with this. At worst it has to call into question where their allegiances are when they might be required to do something that would be in their University's interest but contrary to their shoe company's interest. If I were an employer I wouldn't be particularly comfortable that my full time employee was receiving as much compensation from outside interests as many of these Coaches are.

It's an endorsement fee, not bribery. Other than tax evasion, I am still not sure what federal crime has really been committed here.
If the NCAA was intentionally blind to these matters, the Feds would not have seen a need to be involved.

I agree with this. At worst it has to call into question where their allegiances are when they might be required to do something that would be in their University's interest but contrary to their shoe company's interest. If I were an employer I wouldn't be particularly comfortable that my full time employee was receiving as much compensation from outside interests as many of these Coaches are.
Like Bobby Knight or not, I believe his sneaker money went to IU directly.
I think Jim's now goes to his foundation.

All of this over-hyped and insignificant. Now when the IRS gets involved then I will take it seriously.

Contracts are a state issue, not a federal issue. I wonder how many people know that Louisiana still uses civil laws similar to French code.

I think they will have to ban AAU and if those kids want still play in them count them towards games of illegal participation as most are getting paid one way or another by those shady coaches and the shoe companies. These kids play more in AAU games than in college games and their defense is horrible even compared to some NBA players.

Most of these coaches are state employees and I would think these side payments are very illegal as these shoe companies by giving these state schools money agreed to by contract makes that a case for Bribery Graft.

What Governor and any state employee would survive this...just look at COR and Cuomo's buddy who got arrested for side deals.

fact of the matter is, we don't know. only they know. going back to Lutheran heritage is a bit much. In Lutheran heritage is it encouraged to allow students to allow others to write their papers for them?
If you will indulge me, I think it's time for a Reformation in college basketball. Here I stand!

So it turns out the players have been getting paid...before they even reach campus.

It's an endorsement fee, not bribery. Other than tax evasion, I am still not sure what federal crime has really been committed here.
If the NCAA was intentionally blind to these matters, the Feds would not have seen a need to be involved.
Several. Wire fraud for one.

First place the FBI should look at is Kentucky and Coach Cal for this dude has been very dirty based on his past teams. Also, how can Cal suggest their UK players talk about social issues when they go to college for one seminar as rental students? I rather have a middle aged women working in the UK dining hall tell me about social issues instead of these pampered athletes.

Right. My point is, ban the contracts with the shoe companies. They have way too much influence. And their motivation is not in line with the goals of college sports.
Why is that the answer? I'm sick of hearing ban this, ban that. The black market will still flourish because these student-athletes have real value. This is about money and the NCAA's sham amateurism model. Why can't we just pay the players? Everyone else is making money in this market--schools, conferences, coaches, the NCAA. But the players are the key to the whole thing. They should be paid. They're treated as unpaid labor. Yes, they get a scholarship, but they're clearly worth more than that on the open market. What is everyone so afraid of? There's a way to make it more equitable, so that a handful of the top schools with big fan interest or in top conferences don't simply dominate.

Why is that the answer? I'm sick of hearing ban this, ban that. The black market will still flourish because these student-athletes have real value. This is about money and the NCAA's sham amateurism model. Why can't we just pay the players? Everyone else is making money in this market--schools, conferences, coaches, the NCAA. But the players are the key to the whole thing. They should be paid. They're treated as unpaid labor. Yes, they get a scholarship, but they're clearly worth more than that on the open market. What is everyone so afraid of? There's a way to make it more equitable, so that a handful of the top schools with big fan interest or in top conferences don't simply dominate.

Treated as unpaid labor? What a crock. No one is forcing them to work for this unpaid labor...don't except the scholarship and all that that entails. Take your talents elsewhere and go make it on their own if they're being so terribly wronged. How many of these guys are clearly worth more than the cost of their scholarships? They're given a stage/platform to showcase their talents for the world to see and at no operational costs of their own, etc.. If they are good enough, that gifted platform will afford them to reap the benefits in the near future. Go win your auditions on this grand stage/platform so that you can be the champion of your own personal 'America's Got Talent.' In the process, get yourself an education that will be a gracious benefit of a lifetime.

Last edited:
Then get ready for the mother of all scandals. I’m not saying SU is dirty, but I am saying that Nike and Addidas only care about their bottom line and can’t be trusted to police themselves. We’ve also seen that coaches can’t police themselves either. Last week was the tip of the iceberg.

that's what the SEC is for.

Treated as unpaid labor? What a crock. No one is forcing them to work for this unpaid labor...don't except the scholarship and all that that entails. Take your talents elsewhere and go make it on their own if they're being so terribly wronged. How many of these guys are clearly worth more than the cost of their scholarships? They're given a stage/platform to showcase their talents for the world to see and at no operational costs, etc.. If they are good enough, that gifted platform will afford them to reap the benefits in the near future. Go win your auditions on this grand stage/platform so that you can be the champion of your own personal 'America's Got Talent.' In the process, get yourself an education that will be a gracious benefit of a lifetime.
So will you go in to your bosses office tomorrow and ask to be paid in the widgets your company produces. Probably not.

Scholarships aren't money because the value is fungible. Coaches aren't getting paid in scholarships and free classes. Administrators aren't' getting paid in scholarships and free classes. NCAA administrators aren't getting paid in scholarships and free classes. The only ones that are are the athletes whose labor is the central pillar of the NCAA sports money machine.

This isn't 1972 when the head coach was making $15k and TV money was nearly non-existant. This is now a nearly ten Billion dollar industry built on labor paid in company scrip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom