Nike Scandal? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Nike Scandal?

Look at the home his family recently moved into... That is where everyone should be starting...

I heard a radio show this morning and they were complaining about the championship game matchup and how boring it will be. All I can think of is how the cleanest teams won, and THAT should be the story.

Some people just don’t actually like basketball. They need hype and “Zion!” and storylines. They don’t really know or like the game that much.

Some people just don’t actually like basketball. They need hype and “Zion!” and storylines. They don’t really know or like the game that much.
TBH... I’m glad UVA is in it to give the National Championship legitimacy.

Texas Tech is legit, but I’m not sure their body of work lends them to a Top 4 team. UVA’s does.

As much as I love the Tournament, I prefer the authenticity of CFB’s set up, where, more often than not, you match up the two best teams from the CFB year.

Edit: Ok, 31-6 for TT is pretty legit. I guess I’m just one of the many struggling with the lack of “brand” in the Title Game.

Texas Tech is legit, but I’m not sure their body of work lends them to a Top 4 team. UVA’s does.

As much as I love the Tournament, I prefer the authenticity of CFB’s set up, where, more often than not, you match up the two best teams from the CFB year.

Some people probably said the same about us in 2003.

“UConn beat them twice, and Kentucky would be there if Bogans didn’t break his ankle!”

The preordained super storyline teams had their shot. They got beat.

“UConn beat them twice, and Kentucky would be there if Bogans didn’t break his arm!”

Oh, I 100% agree.

What I wonder is if we look back at a team like Tech and see they had some serious studs - Culver etc.

I know we weren’t a 1 seed when we won it all, but in retrospect... Melo, McNamara, Warrick... damnnn. That team was STRONG.

Edit: Ok, 31-6 for TT is pretty legit. I guess I’m just one of the many struggling with the lack of “brand” in the Title Game.
Texas Tech is the best team in the country after January. And Im pretty sure they're going to down virginia without much difficulty

Oh, I 100% agree.

What I wonder is if we look back at a team like Tech and see they had some serious studs - Culver etc.

I know we weren’t a 1 seed when we won it all, but in retrospect... Melo, McNamara, Warrick... damnnn. That team was STRONG.

Yup. We knew what we had, but I don’t think a lot of the nation did, until it was over.

That’s kinda where I’m at with Texas Tech. Not that they’re as good as we were, but...I’ve been impressed. I knew nothing about them before the tourney. They look legit to me though. They beat some strong teams to get there. And Virginia has been one of the best teams all year.

I think it’s a solid matchup.

I can’t stop thinking that if it is proved that all these shoe companies (or whoever for that matter) influenced and found ways to pay players for their eventual sponsorship that it won’t really affect them, but, it will alter the collegiate athletics landscape.

Nobodies going to stop wearing Nike because of this, and whoever wore Adidas will still wear Adidas. School’s have to maintain their apparel deals, but if all the apparel companies were in, what are you going to do? Russell Athletic about to make a huge comeback?

When giants like Duke and Nike start to get pulled in, real change will follow. And it’s not going to be a change at Nike.

I think we’re on the precipice (within 10 years)of real change to the NCAA. If the NCAA even still exists in 2030.

I can’t stop thinking that if it is proved that all these shoe companies (or whoever for that matter) influenced and found ways to pay players for their eventual sponsorship that it won’t really affect them, but, it will alter the collegiate athletics landscape.

Nobodies going to stop wearing Nike because of this, and whoever wore Adidas will still wear Adidas. School’s have to maintain their apparel deals, but if all the apparel companies were in, what are you going to do? Russell Athletic about to make a huge comeback?

Not me. I’ll find a pair of British Knights to wear so fast, it’ll make your heads spin.

If Zion went to any other school, but Duke you bet your a$$ this avenatti story would be all over ESPN.
Not only that but being discussed as a affront to the pure amateur aesthetics of college sports yadda yadda yadda. Jay Bilas tweets a lot about paying players legitimately but doesn’t say much about the ugly underbelly of recruiting and I’ll eat my running shoes if he doesn’t know how it works.

I think worst case outcome for Duke and Kentucky is forfeited games and no school punishments.

Places like LSU, Arizona, and Kansas who have stronger paper trails and recorded evidence are probably looking at legit punishments along with forfeiting games.

K is definitely coming out of this clean though. That much I feel confident about.

“UConn beat them twice, and Kentucky would be there if Bogans didn’t break his ankle!”

Syracuse in 2003 had great brand value—certainly more than Texas or Marquette, the other two teams in our FF. We had been to 4 Final Fours as well as 2 title games in the previous 16 years. And we were one of the Big East’s flagship programs. Yes, we weren’t Kansas, but a bigger national brand than the other two teams. Texas Tech has no national brand and this is their first ever Final Four. We were also a 3 seed in the 2003 tourney and only had 5 or 6 losses.

Last edited:
Syracuse in 2003 had great brand value—certainly more than Texas or Marquette at that time. We had been to 4 Final Fours and 2 title games in the previous 16 years. And we were one of the Big East’s flagship programs. Yes, we weren’t Kansas, but a bigger national brand than the other two teams. Texas Tech has no national brand and this is their first ever Final Four.

While true, we were also underrated and overlooked all year. We weren’t even ranked until February, other than 1 week in mid Jan where we snuck in at 25. Melo wasn’t getting the “Zion hype train” nationally from day 1 like he should’ve been.

Even in 96 they were saying they should re-seed the final four and that UMass-Kentucky was the real championship.

People are all about the “hype”. A lot of our teams that didn’t make the finals had more hype than our teams that did make it.

Last edited:
So who’s mentioned in this 41 page paper, said that a lot of star players??
Anyone got a list of these star players or how far back this document goes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom