NIL killed the G League Ignite | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NIL killed the G League Ignite

Based on name recognition and his success as an NCAA national champ and former NBA player.
He was an NCAA champ 21 years ago.

True - but he was a fairly well-known NBA player a little over 10 years ago. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure most recruits and AAU coaches these days know who Hakim is.

It also wouldn't be a bad thing to have a coach with some big-man playing experience.

I would say schools pay NIL, set a salary cap, and permit multi-year contracts with buy-outs if player portals. Basically pro sports model, since that’s what it is now.
Schools paying wouldn't change anything because that would only be in addition to boosters paying, and legally that can't be capped. It would be like the NBA telling Nike what they can pay Lebron.

Based on name recognition and his success as an NCAA national champ and former NBA player. Also, I believe the Ignite recruited the factories much like the colleges do.
I don’t think the names or even the colleges themselves mean much these days, it’s about getting to the league and getting paid. Whomever these players and camps believe can do those things the best that’s where the player is going. A NCAA championship ring is amazing and it was so fun to watch, but these kids really don’t care about that stuff.

I agree about NIL and sending players to the NBA. However, we are trying to win recruiting battles, which implies that the NIL and NBA connections offered by the recruit's final list of schools are comparable. All other things being equal, I think it would be a positive having someone like Hakim make the final pitch (especially for the forward and center positions).

I agree about NIL and sending players to the NBA. However, we are trying to win recruiting battles, which implies that the NIL and NBA connections offered by the recruit's final list of schools are comparable. All other things being equal, I think it would be a positive having someone like Hakim make the final pitch (especially for the forward and center positions).
It would be way down the list of what recruits would consider important. If we were talking about Kevin Durant or Melo that might be different. Guys we're recruiting now don't even know who Warrick is.

NIL is probably going to kill the NCAA too. Because they don't understand why the train barreling down the tracks is going to be drive directly into the fireworks factory that is their century long business model of exploiting players for fun and profit.
“I told them the key was the regulation of NIL,” Blazer recalls in Hot Dog Money. “I told them that if they left NIL wide open — if NIL became the Wild West — an endless parade of dudes like me would prey on the kids. ... The NCAA absolutely had to protect the kids, or it was only a matter of time before the NIL system blows up in their face. The NCAA is throwing students to the wolves.
... As Blazer spoke, he told me he noticed a certain glazed look in the eyes of the NCAA officials. ... After speaking for seven hours in detail, revealing many previously unknown conspiracies, Blazer asked the NCAA officials if they had any questions. Pindrop silence fell. Instead of addressing the portrait of corruption Blazer had presented, the NCAA seems to have preferred willful ignorance — or plausible deniability.

NIL is probably going to kill the NCAA too. Because they don't understand why the train barreling down the tracks is going to be drive directly into the fireworks factory that is their century long business model of exploiting players for fun and profit.

Interestingly, Blazer just died.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom