NIL killed the G League Ignite | Syracusefan.com

NIL killed the G League Ignite

Can't say I'm surprised.

That said, I'm curious about the longer term viability of NIL as has been discussed here and elsewhere. At some point, the novelty of paying for players out of the portal is going to wear off and donors are going to start wondering about the sucking sound coming out of their bank accounts and whether or not they're getting enough for how much they're paying.

Can't say I'm surprised.

That said, I'm curious about the longer term viability of NIL as has been discussed here and elsewhere. At some point, the novelty of paying for players out of the portal is going to wear off and donors are going to start wondering about the sucking sound coming out of their bank accounts and whether or not they're getting enough for how much they're paying.
End up being a battle of who has deeper pockets who are willing to sustain the hits. We’ve seen boosters buy out coaches contracts, I agree it’ll plummet at some point, but the rich will be rich and get richer that way.

Maybe we’ll start seeing 2-3 year deals.

End up being a battle of who has deeper pockets who are willing to sustain the hits. We’ve seen boosters buy out coaches contracts, I agree it’ll plummet at some point, but the rich will be rich and get richer that way.

Maybe we’ll start seeing 2-3 year deals.
That would be ideal. It’s really the transfer rule making everything a mess. Not necessarily NIL.

Problem with 2-4 year deals is it increases the risk to the donor. If the guy stinks you’re on the hook!

That would be ideal. It’s really the transfer rule making everything a mess. Not necessarily NIL.
Yeah, year to year contracts and tons of money are making it more attractive to stay in college. I'm sure there are some multi-year NIL contracts, but they can be broken pretty easy if you know you're getting a lot more money from someone else. Ultimate, colleges need to start treating these guys like the semi-pros that - for all intents and purposes - they are and treat their employment as such requiring contracts to the team.

Yeah, year to year contracts and tons of money are making it more attractive to stay in college. I'm sure there are some multi-year NIL contracts, but they can be broken pretty easy if you know you're getting a lot more money from someone else. Ultimate, colleges need to start treating these guys like the semi-pros that - for all intents and purposes - they are and treat their employment as such requiring contracts to the team.
In a twisted way, NIL may end up saving basketball from the crazy portal.

Can't say I'm surprised.

I honestly am surprised. My only take was the NBA saw the money being thrown around, didn't want to match, and decided they'd let boosters pay for their minor league. In a way, I get it, but the quality of player they are getting might not be up to par with what it could be, BUT, it's free.

Or, college teams become GG, and GGG Leagues. Schools lease their facilities to pro-teams. Players are under contract.

The teams should be treated like stocks. The donors are investors and should eventually get a financial return (or loss) on the investment in the players in the form of shared TV revenue or other revenue.

The teams should be treated like stocks. The donors are investors and should eventually get a financial return (or loss) on the investment in the players in the form of shared TV revenue or other revenue.
I like the outside the box idea but the rich would get way richer once Warren Buffet sees a return on investment in Alabama football. And no one would support the small schools.

I would say schools pay NIL, set a salary cap, and permit multi-year contracts with buy-outs if player portals. Basically pro sports model, since that’s what it is now.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Schools will pay directly out of their enormous TV revenues. NCAA isn't investigating NIL anymore.

Long over due IMO.

I would say schools pay NIL, set a salary cap, and permit multi-year contracts with buy-outs if player portals. Basically pro sports model, since that’s what it is now.

A salary cap will not matter to schools that paid players before NIL

Wasn't the Ignite team getting absolutely smoked every night too?

Not the best environment for a young player trying to showcase their talents to do so, especially against grown men on other teams fighting for one of the spots you might take up one day.

I'd go to college even without NIL in that scenario.

A salary cap will not matter to schools that paid players before NIL
1st degree murder laws didn’t stop Jeffrey Dahmer from killing people, but it still made sense to have them on the books.

I like the outside the box idea but the rich would get way richer once Warren Buffet sees a return on investment in Alabama football. And no one would support the small schools.

Put it on the blockchain and you'll see investors in the small stuff hoping for 100x returns.

OTTOCOIN would do well.

Nobody take this idea.

Can't say I'm surprised.

I don't think so. They're just reallocating some of the money they were giving for nap rooms and putting greens. Rich boosters are obsessive. Did you catch the story somebody told about the LSU fan that bought land after returning from the war? He struck oil on it and hasn't worked a day or missed attending an LSU game since.

Isn't Hakim Warrick an assistant for the Ignite? If Gerry takes a head job elsewhere, Hakim might be an interesting choice for the open Cuse spot. I bet he'd do pretty well on the recruiting trail.

Isn't Hakim Warrick an assistant for the Ignite? If Gerry takes a head job elsewhere, Hakim might be an interesting choice for the open Cuse spot. I bet he'd do pretty well on the recruiting trail.
Based on that he's an alum?

He has no connections at all to any of the factories.

Based on name recognition and his success as an NCAA national champ and former NBA player. Also, I believe the Ignite recruited the factories much like the colleges do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom