NIL Questions and answers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NIL Questions and answers

Aren't the values shown on On3 a hypothetical calculation (i.e. based on On3 own estimates, which heavily skew to social media followers) vs. what a player actually makes?

Yes. They have a “secret” algorithm that they won’t share to determine their “valuation. Their numbers aren’t what players are getting.

Could NIL donations go into an investment account that annually throws off interest and dividends for NIL use? Grow the account over time with more donors / contributions, thus growing the interest and dividends as well. Allow each donor to later take back their original investment if needed
Are any collectives doing anything like this?

Yes. They have a “secret” algorithm that they won’t share to determine their “valuation. Their numbers aren’t what players are getting.
Yes. Their influence is an estimate. Bronny James gets $73k per sponsored post... People tend to think in terms of signed contracts. There are other ways to make $$.

Qwinn Ewers- $1.4M signed contract.(sports management company)
Marvin Harrison Jr. $1.3M (Chevy deal)

Caleb Williams was offered $1M, before transferring.

Many deals aren't public. Those are 3 known ones. Add in collectives, social media value, and the dozens of other deals they each have? The actual #'s may be close to ON3 valuations.

1 deal has the average Auburn player getting $7400/month.

Personally I’d like to see players having to agree to play in bowl games if they’re receiving NIL.

If I as a working class guy am forking over money, I think it stands to reason that I should be able to see the student athlete that I’m supporting on the field.
I know very little about NIL but the biggest thing that I learned was NIL is not a Pay for Play. Meaning, the NIL money they get can not be tied to anything that has to do with football. Number of TD's or number or sacks.

With that said, we all know the higher stats guys are going to earn more and obviously schools are paying big $ for players that are better than others, they are just not saying it.

Yes. Their influence is an estimate. Bronny James gets $73k per sponsored post... People tend to think in terms of signed contracts. There are other ways to make $$.

Qwinn Ewers- $1.4M signed contract.(sports management company)
Marvin Harrison Jr. $1.3M (Chevy deal)

Caleb Williams was offered $1M, before transferring.

Many deals aren't public. Those are 3 known ones. Add in collectives, social media value, and the dozens of other deals they each have? The actual #'s may be close to ON3 valuations.

1 deal has the average Auburn player getting $7400/month.
Those are the elites though. Your typical player doesn’t have similar name recognition.

Those are the elites though. Your typical player doesn’t have similar name recognition.
Indeed. Olivia Dunne had a massive social media following coming in. Sanders, James, Manning, as well. These have little to do with their schools, other than another massive increase in followers. $$$$

If its true that Deuce Chestnut earned $250k for his transfer? That's a problem.

Thats a good article. Every Utah football player gets a free truck... When you add in title IX concerns? You can see more issue. Sure. Some gals are making $$, but if we're honest? Its because they are beautiful..

I'm fine with legit NIL, but its turned into a funnel for 3rd party player payment.

The real money in NIL is coming from the national commercial adds, the ones that are inking deals well over a million

For them, it doesn’t matter what team they are on

The problem is the back door, NIL collectives. Most of these aren’t paying the kids million plus deals.

They may be paying a couple hundred thousand for top end players

Also, a lot of times, they are pulling numbers out of thin air of what a kid “might” get at a school.

There is no guarantee they have to give that kid that money once they land on campus. They could easily give them far less and the student athlete can’t do much about it, because if they cry that they transferred because they were told they would get x amount it’s a violation on them and the school

Its clear, that you need $$ to compete.

I hope these rules are tweaked, where it can help both the athletes, and more college fan bases. Some parity would help everyone.

What rules? The NCAA cannot make any rules for NIL that is administered/contracted outside the schools. This is no different than any other contractual relationship between two legal parties. Only state/federal laws apply, and unless a state or the feds say that this class of citizen is not allowed to partake in the free marketing of their name, image and likeness, nothing can be done by the NCAA. This is essentially what the Supreme Court correctly ruled, unanimously, I might add.

The real money in NIL is coming from the national commercial adds, the ones that are inking deals well over a million

For them, it doesn’t matter what team they are on

The problem is the back door, NIL collectives. Most of these aren’t paying the kids million plus deals.

They may be paying a couple hundred thousand for top end players

Also, a lot of times, they are pulling numbers out of thin air of what a kid “might” get at a school.

There is no guarantee they have to give that kid that money once they land on campus. They could easily give them far less and the student athlete can’t do much about it, because if they cry that they transferred because they were told they would get x amount it’s a violation on them and the school

I get what you're saying and the Florida QB commit who the collective baled on last minute is a good example, but some day very soon, if it hasn't happened already, players and/or collectives are going to start suing each other for contractual issues. So, if a player is smart, he signs a contract that stipulates the collective must pay up once he lands on campus.

Thats a good article. Every Utah football player gets a free truck... When you add in title IX concerns? You can see more issue. Sure. Some gals are making $$, but if we're honest? Its because they are beautiful..

I'm fine with legit NIL, but its turned into a funnel for 3rd party player payment.

I'm may be missing something with the Title IX "concern". These are contracts outside the purview of the NCAA or the university. Title IX should not apply.

I get what you're saying and the Florida QB commit who the collective baled on last minute is a good example, but some day very soon, if it hasn't happened already, players and/or collectives are going to start suing each other for contractual issues. So, if a player is smart, he signs a contract that stipulates the collective must pay up once he lands on campus.

You can’t pay for play

The NIL deal can not depend on if you go to a school or not

It’s one of the few rules in place

You can’t pay for play

The NIL deal can not depend on if you go to a school or not

It’s one of the few rules in place

Ok, I get what you're saying.

Need a better solution, that works for players and fans. Otherwise, much of the enjoyment of CFB will be gone.

I’ve been saying this for awhile now. From an economic standpoint CFB is devaluing itself overall. Between conference expansion, NIL, and how the portal is handled. I also said, it’s crazy the NFL is the system that’s far more fan friendly, has parity and at the same time players are paid very well.

It’s not happening now but I fully expect in 10 years that overall viewership of all the CFB cash cows will decrease. Even the NFL knows you can’t build team values if the best players can leave a team every year (theoretically). Just not sustainable from a fan perspective. None of this is to say I don’t think players should get paid. I’ve never liked coaches just being able to quit on their teams for a new job and leave in the middle of the night. Coaches, colleges and networks have been screwing the players for years. But this free for all has to have some negative impact. So I’m curious what the next 10 years looks like.

Ok, I get what you're saying.

Like, it literally can’t be written into the contract.

Now of course, we know that people are saying “hey if you come here”

But the actual NIL deal that student athlete is signing can’t say anything or stipulate anything about attending that said school.

That’s why almost every single NIL deal from a collective is a 1 year deal.

But the collectives are probably smarter and won’t pay up everything at once except for maybe a rare player. I would imagine they have an out clause if things go sour.

Need a better solution, that works for players and fans. Otherwise, much of the enjoyment of CFB will be gone.

I don't know about the enjoyment part of it. This season has been much more enjoyable due to the amount of parity we've seen. So many teams still involved in the CFP going into Conference Championship week, plus next year it goes to 12 teams.

What rules? The NCAA cannot make any rules for NIL that is administered/contracted outside the schools. This is no different than any other contractual relationship between two legal parties. Only state/federal laws apply, and unless a state or the feds say that this class of citizen is not allowed to partake in the free marketing of their name, image and likeness, nothing can be done by the NCAA. This is essentially what the Supreme Court correctly ruled, unanimously, I might add.
I agree.

My hope would be that the Universities are allowed to pay up to X. After overall player compensation reaches Y, a percent of that X is treated like a luxury tax. Or something like that. Some way to bring some parity.

You certainly can't restrict a players ability to earn. I wonder if a % can be deemed based on NCAA participation, and therefore subject to fees. Many NILs are certainly 3rd party player payment, so perhaps there is some standing. Someone joked about a strike, but maybe some form of players union could bring some parity, while still allowing the big earners to earn.

I don't know about the enjoyment part of it. This season has been much more enjoyable due to the amount of parity we've seen. So many teams still involved in the CFP going into Conference Championship week, plus next year it goes to 12 teams.
How enjoyable will it be, should 30 colleges be left outside, permanently? The playoff brings hope to some middling teams, but if they can never keep a roster, what hope is that?

I agree.

My hope would be that the Universities are allowed to pay up to X. After overall player compensation reaches Y, a percent of that X is treated like a luxury tax. Or something like that. Some way to bring some parity.

You certainly can't restrict a players ability to earn. I wonder if a % can be deemed based on NCAA participation, and therefore subject to fees. Many NILs are certainly 3rd party player payment, so perhaps there is some standing. Someone joked about a strike, but maybe some form of players union could bring some parity, while still allowing the big earners to earn.

Oh, I definitely think that will happen. I believe there is actually a case in front of the courts right now arguing against the restriction of schools to negotiate NIL with players.

Sure. But if you go to Auburn, you'll get about 90k per year.

How enjoyable will it be, should 30 colleges be left outside, permanently? The playoff brings hope to some middling teams, but if they can never keep a roster, what hope is that?

Wasn't this the same argument with the facilities race? Time will tell, but NIL won't be the death of 30 colleges, consolidation will be, and that started before NIL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom