NO ENERGY !!! | Syracusefan.com

NO ENERGY !!!

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I hope it's because a virus is spreading thru the team or something like that.

I just don't understand how Joseph, in particular, played with so little enthusiasm and energy in both games. Doris Burke pointed it out in the middle of the first game, how Kris seemed like he was pouting, after jamming his thumb in warm ups. Just seemed to have a bit of a pissy, not-involved attitude. He was terrible on defense, leaving open shooters.

And for all his scoring last night, Dion left a lot of open shooters in the first half, too.

Scoop was bad Scoop in the last 3 games. He seems slow and uncertain if he can get past a defender and get into the lane. Was Scoop able to get past his man even once and get to the rim in either game? We're done right now if this is how they're going to play next week.

Finally, C.J. played terrible both games he started. Maybe it's time to go back to Christmas starting. After he got some good minutes backing up Melo at the Garden, maybe he'll have some confidence to play better when / if he starts.

Yikes. Such terrible ball. After such a great, great season, I have a feeling that they peaked about a week ago. I hope they can get their mojo back (like in 2003, after going out in the Conference tournament early ...). But geez, their body language was terrible these past couple games.

I couldn't believe how uninspired they were in the first half yesterday. It's extremely disconcerting, as this should be the time of year where they are the most focused and motivated.

It does not bode well.

I agree with much that has been said; however, I actually wouldn't put a lot of stock into their game play in the BE tourney. Is it disappointing? Yes, it certainly is to me and many others. Is it indicative of how they will likely play in the NCAA's? I don't believe so. Winning a NC is the ultimate prize they have had their sights on all year long and for that reason, I'm sure we will see a team that will play with very high energy for 40 minutes.

I too was disappointed by the first half effort. I am confident you will see a much more determined team now play like a 1 seed from here on out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

CJ's offense was off, but he had 11 boards and was fairly active all night.

I just don't think they were motivated. 31-1, regular season champs, #1 seed in the East locked up, and it was Cincy. Not much to play for.

Perhaps something going on we are not privy too. For example, Scoop has been Scoopid for 3 games in a row...KJ has looked tired and uninspired...Fair although 11 boards last night seemed to have no lift offensively...Triche played hard but did not shoot well...and Dirty is either on or off demonstrated by 1-7 last night and 50% game before. And Christmas and MCW played well for 7 minutes or more against UConn and were nearly glued to pine against Cincy.
Either a virus of medical origin is going thru team or we have developed either a haughty too good to have to play well attitude or maybe some dissension within the team.
I also found JBs comment that the only thing that matters is the NC and if he passed that on to his players they played to that. I for one dont mind the loss and the the rest that comes with it; however if this was the case why the furious effort for 10 minutes by Dion, Triche and others to try and win it?

Perhaps something going on we are not privy too. For example, Scoop has been Scoopid for 3 games in a row...KJ has looked tired and uninspired...Fair although 11 boards last night seemed to have no lift offensively...Triche played hard but did not shoot well...and Dirty is either on or off demonstrated by 1-7 last night and 50% game before. And Christmas and MCW played well for 7 minutes or more against UConn and were nearly glued to pine against Cincy.
Either a virus of medical origin is going thru team or we have developed either a haughty too good to have to play well attitude or maybe some dissension within the team.
I also found JBs comment that the only thing that matters is the NC and if he passed that on to his players they played to that. I for one dont mind the loss and the the rest that comes with it; however if this was the case why the furious effort for 10 minutes by Dion, Triche and others to try and win it?
Why not try to win it? I was very encouraged the way we came back. If we are again in this position hopefully games like this will only help them if they are in this situation in the ncaas.

I couldn't believe how uninspired they were in the first half yesterday. It's extremely disconcerting, as this should be the time of year where they are the most focused and motivated.

It does not bode well.

Exactly. If you can't chase shooters for 40 minutes when your career is reaching its final few games, then I don't know what the hell's wrong with you.

This was a lack of effort loss. I didn't think we'd see that with this team. Extremely concerned. I've seen this movie before.

CJ's offense was off, but he had 11 boards and was fairly active all night.

I just don't think they were motivated. 31-1, regular season champs, #1 seed in the East locked up, and it was Cincy. Not much to play for.

Thing is, people don't remember regular-season titles. They remember who won at the Garden. So there was something to play for.

I just don't understand how Joseph, in particular, played with so little enthusiasm and energy in both games. Doris Burke pointed it out in the middle of the first game, how Kris seemed like he was pouting, after jamming his thumb in warm ups. Just seemed to have a bit of a pissy, not-involved attitude. He was terrible on defense, leaving open shooters.

And for all his scoring last night, Dion left a lot of open shooters in the first half, too.

Scoop was bad Scoop in the last 3 games. He seems slow and uncertain if he can get past a defender and get into the lane. Was Scoop able to get past his man even once and get to the rim in either game? We're done right now if this is how they're going to play next week.

Finally, C.J. played terrible both games he started. Maybe it's time to go back to Christmas starting. After he got some good minutes backing up Melo at the Garden, maybe he'll have some confidence to play better when / if he starts.

Yikes. Such terrible ball. After such a great, great season, I have a feeling that they peaked about a week ago. I hope they can get their mojo back (like in 2003, after going out in the Conference tournament early ...). But geez, their body language was terrible these past couple games.

CJ didn't do much offensively but he did have 11 boards. You left out James going 1 for 7 and Brandon going 4 for 13, missing two key free throws, and making a bad turnover shortly thereafter. You can throw in the fact that despite his 11 and 8, Fab gives us no inside presence whatsoever in a halfcourt setting. Rak got pushed around pretty well in his limited minutes in the middle.

BTW Matt, you had me until you started quoting Doris Burke :)

Would you rather have Rak start and play 1 minute, or have him back-up Melo and play 8 minutes?

CJ was "under the weather" on Thursday.

It's not the fact that we lost, it's how we lost. We are not playing and have not been playing quality ball lately, this is not how you want to go into the dance, thinking your just suddenly going to hit this magic switch and turn it on. I just hope we can atleast get past this sweet 16, if not this season to me would be a huge let down.

Thing is, people don't remember regular-season titles. They remember who won at the Garden. So there was something to play for.
The last thing this team cares about is what "outside" people will think of them. Win in New Orleans and everything else is irrelevant.

This is something that's been ignored all year. Syracuse often has wings who are the weak link in the zone, but I can't remember any who's played with as little hustle as Joseph.

I like him personally. He's engaging and pleasant. But that doesn't mean we should all pretend that he's not soft or that his effort isn't lacking.

There was a ton of time left, but the game was summed up for me in the first four minutes when Joseph bricked that deep three and stood to admire it while a Cincinnati player twice as far away from the ball tracked down the long rebound and got it downcourt for a runout (at which point, of course, Boeheim blew his lid at Triche for his inability to cover two guys on a break instead of going after the guy who didn't hustle after his own loose ball).

The glass shouldn't be half-empty here (at halftime I joked that this game would be a success in my book if we could go 20 more minutes without anyone tearing a quadriceps tendon), but Syracuse hasn't played a good 40 minutes of basketball since before the Pittsburgh game. That's almost two months ago. There's no reason why they can't start playing like a championship team, but they're going to hurt themselves if they don't do so in the next week or so.

This is something that's been ignored all year. Syracuse often has wings who are the weak link in the zone, but I can't remember any who's played with as little hustle as Joseph.

I like him personally. He's engaging and pleasant. But that doesn't mean we should all pretend that he's not soft or that his effort isn't lacking.

There was a ton of time left, but the game was summed up for me in the first four minutes when Joseph bricked that deep three and stood to admire it while a Cincinnati twice as far away from the ball tracked down the long rebound and got it downcourt for a runout (at which point, of course, Boeheim blew his lid at Triche for his inability to cover two guys on a break instead of going after the guy who didn't hustle after his own loose ball).

The glass shouldn't be half-empty here (at halftime I joked that this game would be a success in my book if we could go 20 more minutes without anyone tearing a quadriceps tendon), but Syracuse hasn't played a good 40 minutes of basketball since before the Pittsburgh game. That's almost two months ago. There's no reason why they can't start playing like a championship team, but they're going to hurt themselves if they don't do so in the next week or so.
If he can't get motivated for the tournament then that's just disappointing. I think KJ is way more non-chalant than Triche.

I can take a bad shooting game. It happens. But to come out so flat with no energy, no intensity at all on defense is unacceptable and just so disappointing. We played much better better the 2nd half but the hole was too deep.The most distressing thing is Scoop's play. Bad Scoop is clearly back the last 3 games. If he doesn't morph into good Scoop we're in big trouble. JB is going to sink or swim with Scoop, we won't see MCW until next year.

I too was disappointed by the first half effort. I am confident you will see a much more determined team now play like a 1 seed from here on out.

Yes, but...

To be fair, I was very impressed with the energy level and effort in the second half. Had not seen that level in a long time.

44cuse

No - they remember how far you got in the tournament. We could have won the BE title and if we got tossed in the sweet sixteen that is what would have mattered. I agree they look uninspired and there was something important to play for. Right now though, if they come out upbeat and inspired to play in the tournament and make it to the final four or NC game - in the end that is what will matter.

Most disappointing part of last night was that the defense didn't show up in the first half and we were absolutely cavalier with the ball all night. I mean 15 turnovers from this team.....really? Scoop with 5, KJ with 4, Brandon 2 - and it seemed like more. There is your ball game right there.

That said KJ deserves special mention with 0 freaking boards. I hope he was sick this week, because his play in these last two games really made me nauseous 2-6 FG (all from 3) 0 rebounds and 4 turnovers against Cincy and 1-8 FG against UConn.....ugh.

Most disappointing part of last night was that the defense didn't show up in the first half and we were absolutely cavalier with the ball all night. I mean 15 turnovers from this team.....really? There is your ball game right there.

That was why we lost and I said it last night. We have averaged under 8 TO per game the last 15 games and last night it just was a sloppy night. There is no pattern that shows this will continue and I look for us to get back to not turning it over. I also think it had a lot to do with the frantic pace, trying to get back in the game, etc.

No - they remember how far you got in the tournament. We could have won the BE title and if we got tossed in the sweet sixteen that is what would have mattered. I agree they look uninspired and there was something important to play for. Right now though, if they come out upbeat and inspired to play in the tournament and make it to the final four or NC game - in the end that is what will matter.

We still talk about Gerry McNamara's run at the Garden, and that team went out in the first game of the NCAA tournament, I believe. But we certainly remember that championship at the Garden.

We still talk about Gerry McNamara's run at the Garden, and that team went out in the first game of the NCAA tournament, I believe. But we certainly remember that championship at the Garden.

That team didn't have the same expectations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom