Noel | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Noel

JB, Hop, and others have done a good job of finding kids early. When Harris was recruited, it seemed as though Flynn was offered to entice him to come to SU but in retrospect it seems that the real target was Flynn. MCW was an early commit too. Is JB getting better in evaluating talent early on, is it the assistant coaches that are driving early detection, or is it just that the tools available to them have gotten better?
.A little bit of everything that you mentioned. Hopefully Jake could add his input into that because he has checked out a few of the elite camps and understands what specifically what the staff is looking for in a player.

And yes im a determined to expose Kentucky Basketball
Determined? It appears you are, but are you on a mission?!

You and the poster who is bent on exposing Coach K for running a conspiracy against Calhoun should join forces.;)

JB, Hop, and others have done a good job of finding kids early. When Harris was recruited, it seemed as though Flynn was offered to entice him to come to SU but in retrospect it seems that the real target was Flynn. MCW was an early commit too. Is JB getting better in evaluating talent early on, is it the assistant coaches that are driving early detection, or is it just that the tools available to them have gotten better?

I think this 'JB finds diamonds in the rough' concept is bunk. JB has brought in lots of players who have underachieved.

I would have 3 years of eligibility left as a Juco Transfer if Cuse offers. I ball regurarly at the Y and hold my own

Im solid 6 feet tall, So i could play PG. Come off the bench for a couple minutes a game

I am a very good shooter, but cant drive the lane

Very good passer and dribbler especially in transition

The only thing im not much into playing defense, So Coach B check me out
We don't take people who ball at the Y, not after the Billy Edelin suspension. Sorry kid, it's just not your time to shine.

It is a combination of all of these things. It has been awhile since I went to any of the camps (last one was 2008), but I've seen firsthand how they work. Hop usually has a list of kids to check out and evaluate, sometimes as many as 35 to 50 at a single camp. Usually these are kids who have at least expressed interest in SU, or are so highly touted that we need to get a look anyway (you can never start scouting your opponents' players too early - seriously, we'll take a good look at other Big East kids that we know we won't get, just so we know what we're up against in the future). Boeheim comes in later in the week and works with Hop to decide on who to follow closest.

From there, the list starts to get whittled down. Things can become complicated - you need to scope out the kid's character - do they have the grades, are they headache off the court? that kind of thing. I remember our recruitment of the Dorsey kid who went to Memphis. We really wanted him, but he didn't even HAVE a transcript, so we backed off. I was told that he would never play a game of D1 ball because his academic situation was so bad. Most coaches tend to put up with more headaches with really talented kids, and back off the headache kids that are middling talents. Nature of the business.

Things are definitely different in some respects these days, obviously we've got new guys on the road, and another major factor is that we can bring in kids with the Syracuse Elite camp. This has been a huge boon to the program. I've never seen it firsthand, but the staff gets an excellent chance for firsthand analysis of the kids. Plus they're on campus so you get to know if they get into trouble off the court, so you know who's a headache right out of the gate. But even more important is the fact that the coaches get to evaluate the kids skill sets - they get to see more than just the games, they get to see the shooting, passing, defensive drills, etc. So they have a better read on if a kid can fit into the system or not.

One of the things that JB does better than just about anyone is getting kids who fit the system. The Elite camp really helps in that respect.

I could probably go on and with this, but it's already approaching a novel.

Mason

Noel would probably be a nice get but Cal's system of dribble drive and man to man showcases the talent of individuals better then our style where the point guard runs the offense.

I could probably go on and with this, but it's already approaching a novel.

Mason

Hey Mase, I'm also very curious about our coaches respect for other people's opinions on certain kids (former players, certain high school and AAU coaches, street agents). I know you have to be very careful on who you listen to and as we know someone like Rob Johnson got us into trouble. I'm sure the coaches get many unsolicited opinions but some of them are going to be very good. In this day and age, it's a lot easier to follow kids, but our coaches still can't be everywhere and a valued opinion would really help when it comes to tracking kids at a big AAU event.

As a side note, I always found it kind of interesting that Al "Grandpa Munster" Lewis was supposed to be some big HS basketball guru. Rumor had it was that he knew everyone. Did you ever run into him?

Wait...by Al Lewis, you mean the actual Grandpa Munster? Or someone who simply shares a name?

Hey Mase, I'm also very curious about our coaches respect for other people's opinions on certain kids (former players, certain high school and AAU coaches, street agents). I know you have to be very careful on who you listen to and as we know someone like Rob Johnson got us into trouble. I'm sure the coaches get many unsolicited opinions but some of them are going to be very good. In this day and age, it's a lot easier to follow kids, but our coaches still can't be everywhere and a valued opinion would really help when it comes to tracking kids at a big AAU event.

As a side note, I always found it kind of interesting that Al "Grandpa Munster" Lewis was supposed to be some big HS basketball guru. Rumor had it was that he knew everyone. Did you ever run into him?
Grandpa used to frequent the BET at MSG on many occasions.

Francis, am I insane and remembering wrong, or did you first come to us during the Julius Hodge saga, and were a classmate of his?

If so, I guess the Hodge recruitment netted us two good things: Hak, and Francis.

And if, in the words of Roger Clemens, I'm misremembering, well, I guess just Hak is ok.

Francis, thanks again for the great insight. You always do a great job. A little while back you had a real nice thread where you answered some recruiting questions. Any chance you start another one of those anytime soon?

Francis, thanks again for the great insight. You always do a great job. A little while back you had a real nice thread where you answered some recruiting questions. Any chance you start another one of those anytime soon?

That thread was great!

But speaking of echoing, isn't that how we felt about Anthony Davis?

Eh, not so much. I don't recall anyone thinking we were going to get Davis after the story about the father asking for money came out. That was also around the time that JB was attributed with a statement to an unnamed recruit, "If you mention the NBA one more time, I'm outta here..." I always put those 2 together, and I don't remember us being in on him late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom