North Carolina Gameday... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Gameday...

That turnover in the open field was horrendous but he also had one of the grittiest ground balls of the season, drawing a penalty in the process, that led to a huge goal on the delayed call & played solid 1v1 D late in the 4th.
That play was horrible the pass he made that was caught b went down for goal either way but your right he battled for that gb n give us ball n penalty which kinda makes up for not only that bad pass but what really erked me was after pass he just jogged back on d(prob was tired of course) but you made boneheaded play hustle in on d. But he did play pretty good d at end. Rosa also isn’t best dmid but dude is tough and takes beating. Will never shame kid for trying or giving it his all.

Vermont also gets won vs bryant which may help a little bit along with hofstra beating drexel. Hopkins crushed ohio state. Hoping vermont can finish strong and maby climb in top 20 as their last games are vs umbc, and umass lowell. If they can win Ae n finish in top 20 gives us another ok win. Princeton winning ivy or finishing strong be nice also. These last two games gonna be real tough. Uva coming off another lost to duke. Duke normally starts to play their best right at playoffs also. Either way how finish season super proud of this team always fought never quit and showed growth throughout season. Let’s finish season strong either way.

My expectations were a bit higher I guess. Start of the season I thought Cuse should have beaten Hopkins but that loss stings a little less given the season the Jays are having. On the flip side that Duke loss seems to sting a little more today given they were a shot away. Oh well. Hopefully they use it has motivation in the off-season if the rest of the season doesn’t go their way. Still, I think finishing with a winning record, and hopefully still in the top 20 when all is said and done is a huge accomplishment.

Beating either of UVA or Duke is a huge task but I'm pleased with the progress that has been made and the outstanding potential of the freshmen class. I think the past couple of games gives room for hope for next year. Face-offs and sloppy play were still a big problem but they somehow overcame them today.

So for those who know more than I do, what are our chances vs UVA and Duke? I know we took Duke to OT in the Dome, but curious to see if others think we can duplicate that effort?

You could legitimately have spallina in the AA conversation. If we had a couple more wins he would be on some of those lists. Top 20 in ppg in the nation, doesn’t go quiet against tough opponents, good off ball and on ball.
The fact that he’s not on the Tewaarton watch list is a joke. He’s 3rd in the country in points!!! I don’t care how many games he’s played in comparison to others. Spallina has lived up to the hype and then some.

Spallina alertly calling timeout while laying on his stomach with possession saved this game. I’m curious as to why the shot clock reset after his last shot went wide. Kirst took the ball off the end line with 16 secs left on the shot clock before the refs bumped it up. Did ESPN have the clock wrong or did Spallina’s shot get a piece of the goalie?
Seeing the replay Joey clearly is the one who called timeout. Saved possession that ultimately lead to Leo's winning goal. A coach on the field. A coach's son. Maybe it will get him a few more votes in the voting for the All-America teams. Compare it to the totally bone-headed move made by Duke's Tewaaraton candidate Brennan O'Neill who took an ill-advised shot in the last minute of their game up by 1 vs. Va instead of holding on to the ball. Gave Va one more chance to tie the game. Carc went nuts. Maybe it will cost O'Neill a few votes.

Aviles please take ball n shoot more. You are a beast and can shoot. Also fast and can take these O defenders on you everytime prob so please take a run to goal now and then.
I totally agree but I also have to agree with most everyone else that his defensive prowess is more important given our lack of reliable short stick defenders. They also seem to be capable of some great play, but not as consistent as Aviles and unfortunately we need more consistency.

If we just can put one 60 minute game together we have a chance. Tall task but not impossible.
Agreed. We’re a super young team getting better. Next year….is our year in my opinion.

Good win by the guys. I caught bits and pieces while doing some work around the house.

I didn't see the hit on the UNC goalie but I imagine the UNC player taking the cheap shot at Rosa while on the ground was payback. I was very surprised they both weren't tossed, UNC for the obvious shot and Rosa for kicking the kid as he was getting up.

Nice seeing them not fold like they have earlier in the year when things weren't going their way. I though UNC was going to run away with it after they were up 11-9, and seemed to have momentum. Have to wonder would the game have even been close without the stupid turnovers. Three goals just from poor decisions while clearing. Didn't look like they were clearing it along the sub box today which has bugged me all season.

Spallina continues to impress me, the great heads up play of calling timeout to retain possession. We better enjoy his time here, it's going to be special.

I honestly think we can beat Duke. The team was still finding its feet and they took them to overtime. It was just a bad run in the third quarter that they couldn't get a stop. Virginia I'm not so confident about but I think the score will be closer than last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom