North Carolina Gameday... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Gameday...

mikey powell is a north country native and was a great college finisher but i kinda lost a lot of respect for him after that stoopid flip. what the hey was that ?

View attachment 227121

air gait is legendary. that flip was a flop.
Air Gait was designed to score a goal which definitely makes it superior. The move was so devastating that it led to a rule change. If the flip was an intentional move to position for or take a shot it would have been iconic. Instead it kind of felt like a showboat unnecessary decision. Yet at the same time it is still discussed 20 years later?

Air Gait was designed to score a goal which definitely makes it superior. The move was so devastating that it led to a rule change. If the flip was an intentional move to position for or take a shot it would have been iconic. Instead it kind of felt like a showboat unnecessary decision. Yet at the same time it is still discussed 20 years later?
i've thought about whether the air gait was a not-unheard-of-move at the time or not in box back then? only heard gary talk about it once, and he didn't mention it. one rule in canadian box back then was u couldn't have your feet in the cylinder (from crease up to ceiling). so you'd have to keep your feet out until the ball was in, and probably layout. probably not made for the arenas that had concrete floors. but the crease is flattened behind the smaller cage...

uva is also big on ten man ride so sure we will see that again. We also never attempted to score long goal either which not sure if for or against it. Mean if score on it awesome but feel if we miss gonna be turnover cause someone doesn’t back it up or some other unlucky fall. Also uva has been one of the top maby even top few times in ground balls. So first time gbs will have to be picked up. Their defense is beatable but they are long and a lot of range so will def have to be smart and accurate on passes. Will also kill ya in transition so will need to hustle back on d or prevent fast break. Also there is petey lasalla who is just a beast. Gonna need to do what all say limit mistakes avoidable turnovers and play hard for full 60mins to pull out win. I really hope gait and company realize gonna need keep guys fresh n give cohen a run or two or more on offense while also subbing dmids or even d here n there or randomly go zone. But they have never done either at all this season so prob won’t hold my breath. But think a one win and we are likely in it. Let’s go orange .

A dominant FO unit (LaSalla) complements a 10-man ride nicely against a team that runs their D-middies off religiously.

Second half looked like SU started to leave one or two SSDMs on the field to break out for clearing passes rather than run to the box. A nice adjustment that went a little bumpy due to some poor decision making but ultimately helped win the game.

Worth noting that Powell had completely dusted UMass every time he touched the ball leading up to that moment. Believe the game is on YouTube somewhere. He could have dropped the ball mid flip and I would have still given him a pass.

My point was the context of those numbers is important. I’m not making a different argument. I’m broadening the scope of the discussion and not getting caught in the reductive trap of just looking at numbers. By saying that Spallina deserves to a Tewaarton finalist since his numbers rival or exceed Powell’s, the original tweet was very much a comparison of the two.

What’s the context of those numbers? I look over the Powell schedule and the Spallina schedule and I don’t see any differences and Spallina is likely drawing everyone's best close defender. How can you argue the competition was stiffer?

uva is also big on ten man ride so sure we will see that again. We also never attempted to score long goal either which not sure if for or against it. Mean if score on it awesome but feel if we miss gonna be turnover cause someone doesn’t back it up or some other unlucky fall. Also uva has been one of the top maby even top few times in ground balls. So first time gbs will have to be picked up. Their defense is beatable but they are long and a lot of range so will def have to be smart and accurate on passes. Will also kill ya in transition so will need to hustle back on d or prevent fast break. Also there is petey lasalla who is just a beast. Gonna need to do what all say limit mistakes avoidable turnovers and play hard for full 60mins to pull out win. I really hope gait and company realize gonna need keep guys fresh n give cohen a run or two or more on offense while also subbing dmids or even d here n there or randomly go zone. But they have never done either at all this season so prob won’t hold my breath. But think a one win and we are likely in it. Let’s go orange .
Kol actually took one from roughly 80 yards away that Krieg saved about 10 yard out of goal. Anish mentioned that it might have went in. It was towards the end of the 1st quarter. I’m not surprised people missed it because the camera work was so horrible that I think my 102 year old grandmother could have done better using an iPhone.

Well i like how d played in sense they seemed to have tipped or knocked down or caught more passes. Not sure if cause they were trying for that or unc was just bad. I’ll give credit to d but would like to see same thing here as uva will do skip passes and cross crease passes also. Gonna have to really bunker down and def not ball watch or will be in back of net before fine your guy. Petey scares me as he can dominate and has against us few times. So def gonna need to get ball any and every other way possible. Uva is also one best gb teams so gonna have to try to pick up ball ourselves first time. Yes felt d mids try get out their sticks so fast that they happen to throw it to guys not open and caused turnover. Hope they practice some drills of dmids with ball control and running away from trouble. Don’t try beat two or three guys run away before get to that. Mean rice and aviles is fast and murphy isn’t slow himself. Rosa diff story but he will take a beating n possible get emo opportunity for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom