North Carolina Gameday... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Gameday...

Boy that was a great win.. I still don’t know how but they pulled it off lol.very happy for these boys and the direction this team is headed in!
Thought the coaches, made some great adjustments at halftime
Love to see HHH back in this program
Joey has exceeded my expectations of what he’s doing this year .
Think that our last two wins our talent beat the other teams experience which is huge!
And one other thing that I noticed doesn’t have to do with the team but had to do with Quint.. I know he was doing some bashing during the game but my take on it was it was more of frustration because he thinks his team can do better.. you could actually hear it in his voice when they made a stupid mistake which surprised me because he’s usually not like that with Syracuse .
Love this team!! let’s keep it roll and see how we can finish the season out

A couple more thoughts now that I have actually watched the 1st quarter. Clearing game was disgusting as others were mentioning. Maybe its easier to look back after this with a victory, but at least a couple of those blown clears were unexplainable choices from Mark. He of course made up for it in cage. There were at least a couple more where unexplainable is the word I would use. UNC is a fast athletic team, the 10 man ride is designed to overwhelm teams and often has you looking crazy. Thats why so many attempt the 80 yard shot or what have you. Not saying it excuses everything yesterday, but we are not a bad clearing team overall and we turn it over less than any team in the country. We also did tighten up in the second half.

Found myself disagreeing with a lot of Quint's classic bold takes, one being something along the lines of "they dont have ball carrying talent." I think part of the reason the offense has been successful is because we do have ball carrying guys who give teams trouble off the dodge. Kirst is one without question, would say the same for Hiltz, Leo, Spallina (in his own way), and even Simmons and Rhoa have given ssdms trouble there as well. Even everyones favorite player griffin cook! He plays for a reason people. If everyone was slow as hell and not drawing slides we would not be where we are this year on offense. 15 goals with all those lost face offs and blown clear attempts. Another great day for the offense.

A couple more thoughts now that I have actually watched the 1st quarter. Clearing game was disgusting as others were mentioning. Maybe its easier to look back after this with a victory, but at least a couple of those blown clears were unexplainable choices from Mark. He of course made up for it in cage. There were at least a couple more where unexplainable is the word I would use. UNC is a fast athletic team, the 10 man ride is designed to overwhelm teams and often has you looking crazy. Thats why so many attempt the 80 yard shot or what have you. Not saying it excuses everything yesterday, but we are not a bad clearing team overall and we turn it over less than any team in the country. We also did tighten up in the second half.

Found myself disagreeing with a lot of Quint's classic bold takes, one being something along the lines of "they dont have ball carrying talent." I think part of the reason the offense has been successful is because we do have ball carrying guys who give teams trouble off the dodge. Kirst is one without question, would say the same for Hiltz, Leo, Spallina (in his own way), and even Simmons and Rhoa have given ssdms trouble there as well. Even everyones favorite player griffin cook! He plays for a reason people. If everyone was slow as hell and not drawing slides we would not be where we are this year on offense. 15 goals with all those lost face offs and blown clear attempts. Another great day for the offense.
a few impressions: 1) Cook through perseverance and grit has become a valuable middle. He has been disparaged often. Let's congratulate him now. 2) As some have mentioned, the coaches adjusted very well at half time. They brought a short through the middle of the field against the UNC ride, then brought another from the defensive side to the offensive where he could find room to take a pass from the short with the ball on the defensive side. Changed the game. 3) Fine changed his approach to out quick the opposing FOGO and nail the ball to the ground, giving the wings time to muck up the possession. Worked fairly well and changed the game. 4) Instead of handling the ball like a grenade in the first half, SU decided to throw it to a teammate. Who'd a thunk?
5) The coaches have developed in the kids the courage to take risks, damn the mistakes that are natural to young players. Leo is an outstanding example. Watched him through hs. He has radically transformed his game. He could be a star. 6) Kirst seems to be having fun with this group. He becomes more dangerous every game. SU will miss him next year.

One other thing is Simmons made a huge play in the game.. and yes I think his dive shot was a goal .. but that’s not the play.. he is the one that came on the field and wrapped Rosa up after the late hit not allowing him to go after the UNC kid.. without that it may have gotten real ugly

One other thing is Simmons made a huge play in the game.. and yes I think his dive shot was a goal .. but that’s not the play.. he is the one that came on the field and wrapped Rosa up after the late hit not allowing him to go after the UNC kid.. without that it may have gotten real ugly
well said. An older experienced hand. and a good leader.

Such a big win and one that will propel this young group regardless how the final games play out. Watching the replay today you can see Joey Spallina
laying on his stomach lift his head to call the TO and the ref standing right there granted it which later resulted in the Leo GWG Wasn’t sure but today after watching you can see him look up at the ref to call it and the ref was emphatic So smart
Have to really credit petro and that D exhausted and playing so much D because of the faceoffs they were excellent

The competition was a touch stiffer in those first 13 games in 2001. Context is important.

I don't remember 2001 as was not a fan back then.

But I agree in general with your comment - context is extremely important. Strength of schedule, quality of teammates etc. are critical. I hate stats comparisons between players and teams from different eras. I think the best (but not perfect) measure is to compare players to the other best players in their own playing years.

While context is important one must also consider the program was in a much better place back then and while there is a shot clock now the face off situation was also far better in 2001. Point counter point

The competition was a touch stiffer in those first 13 games in 2001. Context is important.

Your response is a little bit of a strawman. While the original tweet was a little cryptic, the primary point is that his numbers compare favorably to one of the most celebrate (rightfully so) attackmen of all time, and he should at minimum be on the Tewaaraton finalist list. Didnt really say what he is doing is better or more impressive than Powell.

Your response is a little bit of a strawman. While the original tweet was a little cryptic, the primary point is that his numbers compare favorably to one of the most celebrate (rightfully so) attackmen of all time, and he should at minimum be on the Tewaaraton finalist list. Didnt really say what he is doing is better or more impressive than Powell.
My point was the context of those numbers is important. I’m not making a different argument. I’m broadening the scope of the discussion and not getting caught in the reductive trap of just looking at numbers. By saying that Spallina deserves to a Tewaarton finalist since his numbers rival or exceed Powell’s, the original tweet was very much a comparison of the two.

Last edited:
mikey powell is a north country native and was a great college finisher but i kinda lost a lot of respect for him after that stoopid flip. what the hey was that ?

R.e3082c482c6264016dfc01ee2f37ac4c.jpeg

air gait is legendary. that flip was a flop.

Last edited:
mikey powell is a north country native and was a great college finisher but i kinda lost a lot of respect for him after that stoopid flip. what the hey was that ?

View attachment 227121

air gait is legendary. that flip was a flop.
He promised in the preseason he would do something special/unique in a game. He had no idea at the time what it would be. To do a flip occurred to him in that moment right before he did it. He talked about it when he was on air the day they retired his jersey.

the 10 man ride is designed to overwhelm teams
the 10 man ride 1st half was def an issue that needs to be addressed. NC is known for this and we were caught sleeping. possessions and shots were silly early.

uva is also big on ten man ride so sure we will see that again. We also never attempted to score long goal either which not sure if for or against it. Mean if score on it awesome but feel if we miss gonna be turnover cause someone doesn’t back it up or some other unlucky fall. Also uva has been one of the top maby even top few times in ground balls. So first time gbs will have to be picked up. Their defense is beatable but they are long and a lot of range so will def have to be smart and accurate on passes. Will also kill ya in transition so will need to hustle back on d or prevent fast break. Also there is petey lasalla who is just a beast. Gonna need to do what all say limit mistakes avoidable turnovers and play hard for full 60mins to pull out win. I really hope gait and company realize gonna need keep guys fresh n give cohen a run or two or more on offense while also subbing dmids or even d here n there or randomly go zone. But they have never done either at all this season so prob won’t hold my breath. But think a one win and we are likely in it. Let’s go orange .

He promised in the preseason he would do something special/unique in a game. He had no idea at the time what it would be. To do a flip occurred to him in that moment right before he did it. He talked about it when he was on air the day they retired his jersey.
I seem to recall the flip was already a thing and he then everyone expected him to do it in a game after he said he would do something special. I was at the game and don't remember being surprised that it happened.

edit

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom