Not deterred by our slow start... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not deterred by our slow start...

These things are always worth a good laugh. Let's assume for a minute this team continues with a sort of up and down season and finishes 7-5. Does anyone really think FSU or Michigan is hiring Dino Babers coming off a 7-5 season especially a team in conference in the same division? Clueless.

I think we thought it was crazy that an NFL team wanted a .500 coach from Syracuse. But all the talk was “he brought them back to respectability at a place you can’t win” (I think this line of thinking is BS, but it’s what was sold to the Buffalo fans)

I’m just saying what will happen. Whether it’s warranted or not is anyone’s opinion. But it won’t be because of $$$, it won’t be because of facilities. It’ll be fan support. Define fan support as you want.

Well thats certainly his right to do that but in my opinion its shortsighted and that's putting it mildly. He should be careful what he wishes for especially considering we sold the most season tickets we had in decades this year and had close to a sell out just a week or so ago. The support is there but the team has to hold up its end as well, so far this year they haven't.

Doesn’t have to be 49500 every game. And support isn’t just in the stands. It is what it is.
Our instagram followings up over 30% since last year. Our season ticket allotment sold out. Attendance is trending up for another year in a row despite national trends. We brought 48,000 to the dome vs clemson despite an epically embarrassing road loss to an unranked team. The city itself mandated an official day to announce the start of Syracuse football season.

We’re only short of coronating him Le Emperor of CNY

Our instagram followings up over 30% since last year. Our season ticket allotment sold out. Attendance is trending up for another year in a row despite national trends. We brought 48,000 to the dome vs clemson despite an epically embarrassing road loss to an unranked team. The city itself mandated an official day to announce the start of Syracuse football season.

We’re only short of coronating him Le Emperor of CNY

I can live with it that - Le Emperor’s got a nice ring to it

Belief without evidence works for attendance and fan support.

Opening up wallets is ENTIRELY different. This is upstate NY.

I think we thought it was crazy that an NFL team wanted a .500 coach from Syracuse. But all the talk was “he brought them back to respectability at a place you can’t win” (I think this line of thinking is BS, but it’s what was sold to the Buffalo fans)

You love to nitpick info. to fit your thoughts. The two situations aren't even moderately close. Marrone was seen as a pro guy before he even came here. He also has family history in coaching which is still a big deal in 2019. Nobody outside of angry SU fans thought it was crazy he was hired as an NFL coach. In contrast, DB is historically a career assistant and not exactly young. Boosters don't want a guy without a name, even if that name doesn't make sense. DB isn't a "name" to these big programs. He isn't going to anyplace big if he wins 6 games this year and if he wins 6 games this year you can assume that there will be more games that aren't pretty to look at. You probably would have argued Shafer would be appealing to Michigan a few years ago... actually you might have.

I always hate this type of speculation but to be honest, I am one to think that Dino would leave the CUSE for a bigger opportunity like FSU, USC or S. Carolina (my pick). With a huge pay raise comes much more dough for his assistants, better facilities, an unlimited recruiting budget and a rabid fan base who would fall in love with him. I’m sure Wildhack knows this and the question would be, who can the CUSE get to replace him now that the program seems to be on a solid footing. There are lots of good coaches out there so let’s all enjoy this season and relax.

If not Harbaugh and I believe Harbaugh will go back to the NFL after this year.
The Urban Meyer odds are laughable. He appears to be waiting for Clay Helton and USC.

I think the odds on choice isn't listed. Matt Campbell from Iowa State.

IF Dino were to leave in the near term, it will be because of the lack of fan support that he relishes. Support in the stands, local talk shows, social media, etc.
eh that story is getting old for me. Probably true but it's year 4 and we are better but support IMHO has been better than the product more often than not. Dino also has plenty of support in terms of selling products. He is everywhere - billboards, TV, Radio, etc

I think recruiting is what would ultimately drive Dino to leave (if does end up leaving). Our recruiting still hovers around a ranking in the 50s nationally which is only marginally better than what Shafer could get, despite the recent success on field. If we have continued success on the field but recruiting does not improve equally, then Dino may say adios. At USC, UCLA, FSU the 4/5 star recruits line up at the door.

I’m just saying what will happen. Whether it’s warranted or not is anyone’s opinion. But it won’t be because of $$$, it won’t be because of facilities. It’ll be fan support. Define fan support as you want.
i think this is good news. fan support at bigger programs like USC and FSU is very front runner-esque. Those programs would be tough to step into right now. I can't imagine he's going anywhere. He has pretty much iron clad job security in Syracuse.

It's foolish to think he'll jump to something else. Taggert could be gone in 2 years. That can't be appealing

The reality is with coaches, just like recruits, they stay or leave for their own personal reasons. We can list reasons he would never leave and reasons he would want to. Fans can justify either scenario pretty easily.

As IB said I think, if it happens it happens.

I always hate this type of speculation but to be honest, I am one to think that Dino would leave the CUSE for a bigger opportunity like FSU, USC or S. Carolina (my pick). With a huge pay raise comes much more dough for his assistants, better facilities, an unlimited recruiting budget and a rabid fan base who would fall in love with him. I’m sure Wildhack knows this and the question would be, who can the CUSE get to replace him now that the program seems to be on a solid footing. There are lots of good coaches out there so let’s all enjoy this season and relax.
If he had the same results at those schools as he had here, he wouldn't survive year 2 in those rabid fan bases. The big boys don't tolerate 8-16 with numerous blowouts.

It was more than that. He had NFL coordinator experience and was a known name in the NFL community.

IF Dino were to leave in the near term, it will be because of the lack of fan support that he relishes. Support in the stands, local talk shows, social media, etc.

I think it would be more the inability to bring in top recruits. Even this year we have missed on a lot of our top targets. The stuff you listed above will come with winning...just look at the Clemson game. But if you can't get the athletes, that stuff isn't going to happen.

Now this one is scary,
Florida State

I think the way we have played Clemson will only increase his chances with them. I would definitely be worried about FSU.

I think the way we have played Clemson will only increase his chances with them. I would definitely be worried about FSU.
Think South Carolina would want him the most for Clemson has had USC's number in recent years (five straight) and there is major, major hatred between both universities.

I think it would be more the inability to bring in top recruits. Even this year we have missed on a lot of our top targets. The stuff you listed above will come with winning...just look at the Clemson game. But if you can't get the athletes, that stuff isn't going to happen.

Part of recruiting is having large crowds and fan excitement.

Doesn’t have to be 49500 every game. And support isn’t just in the stands. It is what it is.
He has the full backing of the SU AD. The program is receiving unprecedented donor support. Attendance at games is going to lag until the team starts winning consistently. There's only a few land grant schools out there that will sell out regardless of their performance. Not sure what radio call-in shows have to do with this, though?

Or are you implying that dino is particularly and irrationally sensitive to people in the stands?

Think South Carolina would want him the most for Clemson has had USC's number in recent years (five straight) and there is major, major hatred between both universities.

That's the one I'd watch. They need someone to pump energy into that program, and that someone is not named Will Muschamp.

Taggart will get another year.

USC will go big after Urban.

Michigan isn't going to make a move. (although it would be hilarious if they threw some ridiculous $15M per year number at Urban).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom