Not deterred by our slow start... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not deterred by our slow start...

If Dino would leave they gotta consider Sean Lewis right?

I think he'd be considered - but he's not had a great run a Kent State yet. He did demolish Bowling Green last week 62-20.

No way Michigan or FSU offer in my opinion. Dino is more than capable but to pacify the boosters and fans they need a big name at both places.

Michigan isn't going to make a move. (although it would be hilarious if they threw some ridiculous $15M per year number at Urban).

I disagree if they finish outside the top 25 and lose to Ohio State again, I think Jim is gone.

Granted he might do it on his own for a NFL gig but no way he makes it another year if the above happens

Now this one is scary,
Florida State

I guess we need to see if Dino pulls out all the stops against FSU this year as that game may be a de facto job interview.

After seeing how the Nole fans have “embraced” Willie Taggart I have a hard time understanding why a minority coach with options would want anything to do with that program.

I will understand Dino leaving - so long as he doesn't go to Rutgers or FSU. It would be torture having him coach against us each year (FSU). Rutgers? Well, I don't really need to say anything.

Dino understands stability and instability. If he wants stability which I think any man at his age would, then he will be happy with his appx 4 mill. Salary. Why leave now? He has a good thing going. Very likely two straight bowl seasons and money flooding into the program. I just don’t see the positives of leaving this situation personally.

IF Dino were to leave in the near term, it will be because of the lack of fan support that he relishes. Support in the stands, local talk shows, social media, etc.

My guess, and obviously it's just a guess, is that if he gets to the point where he concludes that, for whatever reason, he cannot build an ACC/National Champion at Syracuse, then he will consider leaving.

He could reach that conclusion due to myriad reasons or combination of reasons (i.e. fan support, infrastructure, recruiting, money for assistants, etc.).

Maybe Dino leaves, maybe he stays, but ill defined "lack of fan support" as a reason seems like a cop out to me.

Attendance is down everywhere. I mean, Penn State and Alabama are reducing stadium capacity. But our attendance is trending up, in defiance of a nationwide trend. Yes, from a lower baseline, but still...

When I met with my Orange Club rep last year, I was told that football donations were up significantly over the prior year, and were in a multi-year uptrend. We just got a $25M gift from an alum. We're sinking over $100M into the dome.

When I watch away games, I can often clearly hear LGO chants on the telecast.

All this on the back of 15 years of mediocre to bad football, and Dino's 4-8, 4-8, 10-3, and now 2-2. I love the guy and hope he stays, but there are precious few places that would give significantly more fan support on the basis of the facts as they stand.

Michigan? B1G? In case a few weren't paying attention i don't see him getting the Michigan gig after what an avg B1G Maryland team did to us this year. That fan base wouldn't stand for that for a second.

I would take Tim Lester as HC before Sean Lewis.
who watches WMU, i sure don't. but we have to look at the rest of their schedule. if you take us out, their offense isn't anything special

People have been saying that Dino would leave because of "fan support" since the day after he started here. Literally.

What can you do, Syracuse is what it is, and it has made tremendous strides over the past 3 years. We had 25K in Orlando for the bowl game, which is more than we've ever had at any bowl game. Win a few games and I suspect we'll see a legit 42-44K in the stands for Pitt, BC and Wake.

If it's not enough, it's not enough, and he should enjoy getting lots of money to endure death threats at some P5 factory with insane fans. Shrug.

who watches WMU, i sure don't. but we have to look at the rest of their schedule. if you take us out, their offense isn't anything special

I would not be crazy about either Lester is still coaching with boat rower dude's guys. Lewis took over a disaster at kent st. Lewis was a really good recruiter and he has been torched by a lot of much better programs, have to see what he does the rest of the year though too. We can do better than those two, IMO.

Last edited:
People have been saying that Dino would leave because of "fan support" since the day after he started here. Literally.

What can you do, Syracuse is what it is, and it has made tremendous strides over the past 3 years. We had 25K in Orlando for the bowl game, which is more than we've ever had at any bowl game. Win a few games and I suspect we'll see a legit 42-44K in the stands for Pitt, BC and Wake.

If it's not enough, it's not enough, and he should enjoy getting lots of money to endure death threats at some P5 factory with insane fans. Shrug.

We had about 40% of the stadium at Maryland just nothing to do with it.

He has good facilities - is getting more support obviously to have much better facilities. He hasn't been asking for the world from our AD either - what he asks for are thoughtful requests that seem be received well and acted on. He almost had Gameday and still have a four hour infomercial for SU during the Clemson game.

His biggest problem vis a vis our peer group is limited recruiting close to home.

We had about 40% of the stadium at Maryland just nothing to do with it.

He has good facilities - is getting more support obviously to have much better facilities. He hasn't been asking for the world from our AD either - what he asks for are thoughtful requests that seem be received well and acted on. He almost had Gameday and still have a four hour infomercial for SU during the Clemson game.

His biggest problem vis a vis our peer group is limited recruiting close to home.

He and JW talk all the time and he has been given everything he has asked for. He wouldn’t leave for anything the AD has explicit control over like $$$ and facilities.

Part of recruiting is having large crowds and fan excitement.

Recruits aren’t coming just because you have big crowds. That’s a nice me added bonus, but I can name about 10 things more important by that...like better facilities. I’m sure Babers is more frustrated after missing on big recruits as there was by last weeks attendance.

Recruits aren’t coming just because you have big crowds. That’s a nice me added bonus, but I can name about 10 things more important by that...like better facilities. I’m sure Babers is more frustrated after missing on big recruits as there was by last weeks attendance.

Nobody expects 48000 every game. That would be silly. But if you don’t think a near sell out and deafening noise doesn’t impress a recruit and help with recruiting them I don’t know what to say. There may be other things more important to some kids but not all. What do you think excites a kid more? The Clemson crowd or next weeks holy cross game? Attendance plays a role. And it plays a role in the team performance (except Clemson this year lol). That’s why Dino’s talked about it since day one and why every game he comes out of the tunnel and looks at the same upstairs sections. It means something to him. Doesn’t matter what it means to you and me and other posters.

Nobody expects 48000 every game. That would be silly. But if you don’t think a near sell out and deafening noise doesn’t impress a recruit and help with recruiting them I don’t know what to say. There may be other things more important to some kids but not all. What do you think excites a kid more? The Clemson crowd or next weeks holy cross game? Attendance plays a role. And it plays a role in the team performance (except Clemson this year lol). That’s why Dino’s talked about it since day one and why every game he comes out of the tunnel and looks at the same upstairs sections. It means something to him. Doesn’t matter what it means to you and me and other posters.
Its going to be bigger upstairs sections of silver if he puts on a display like the clemson game at FSU or USC.

Those schools you don’t get belief without evidence. You get 12 games and if you lose one you lose half the season’s worth/hype in their eyes.

I am not saying that I would take him, but over Lewis I would. There are many quality coaches out there and I would think that the CUSE would be an excellent place to be a HC with the current upgrades and increasing fan support.

Don’t know if anyone has seen the news the last hour but online prop bets at sportsbettingAG are putting Dino as the favorite to be the coach at FSU in 2020. He’s also the 3rd best favorite to be the head coach at Michigan in 2020. I love looking at lines of everything gambling related, but damn that would be a bummer. I don’t see either happening but to be the favorite at anything, someone must know something ?

There was a lot of Orange at the game vs Maryland.

Lot of Orange.

I can’t see him leaving while the program rebuild is still a work in progress. He has the support of the AD, and it seems the fans absolutely love the guy. Also, at his age, who the hell wants to start a new job with pressures that have to be magnitudes ahead of what he has to deal with at SU. So I think he stays and builds a legacy for himself.

But then again, I said Marrone would never leave...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom